Wiki Posts
Search

Buy US Elite Status....?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: GS - CK
Buy US Elite Status....?

OK Folks. I'm AA-EXP and UA-1K (for you Chairmen folks, that is 100k mile equiv on AA and UA, respectively.)

My private firm has just chosen to accept a new client located in an east coast locale, served via US RJ service connected to the US CLT hub. So: nothing but US in the final destination... and not much AA or UA in CLT.

My partners and I spend enough with UA that we are offered several Global Services memberships per year. However I lost the bet this year and they ended up elsewhere. Not that this matters.

So, figuring that US will not upgrade or otherwise pay much attention to passengers other than their own elite (based on experience), I am considering their "buy your way up" program.
http://www2.usairways.com/en-US/divi...preferred.html

I fully understand the upsides and downsides of the F class product offered by US for domestic travel. I also understand that as a silver (25k), you get shoved down to boarding group 2 (i.e. no overhead space); whereas even if I toss my UA mileage plus number on the reservation I'm one of the few in boarding group 1, but still end up in the rear.

SO... is it worth the $2800. they are seeking to "buy up" to Chairman's level? Or is it worth it to chunk out the $2100 they are asking for the Platinum level? I figure I will be handling this particular (and lucrative) client for another two years, so maintaining the status will be no problem.

Thoughts??

-PP
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA (US) gold, HH gold, Bonvoy gold
as far as bags concerned - I have never had a problem with overhead space in zone 1 OR zone 2 - even if it is half the passengers there has always been enough space - that should not be a concern. before I get flamed - I am currently Platinum but have been silver or gold for 10 years and while upgrades are more plentiful now the space issue has really never been a problem.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb

You reminded me -- as Peter Griffin would say: What Really Grinds My Gears with US & CLT is the gate lice problem. Those who hoard the gate just prior to boarding.

Besides....I've never heard a US FA request via announcement that pax insert their rollerboard bags straight in, so you always end up with a bunch of oversized bags in sideways (duhhh). Which cuts the space in half compared to an AA or UA flight of the same size.

I figure instant status would offer the cure of having to deal with both of these issues. The price is right for the sanity savings.

Back to you, Diane.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:04 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Phrequent

I figure instant status would offer the cure of having to deal with both of these issues. The price is right for the sanity savings.
As a UA Prem, when I fly US (in zone 2), I have never had a problem getting overhead space either. And, I have heard the FA's announce on many occasions to put the bags in the correct way. If these are really the only things "grinding your gears", I don't know if $2800 or even $2100 is really a worthwhile expenditure. But it's your money, so none of us can answer if it's too much (to you).

Where will you be flying into CLT from? Is that a route you feel reasonably assured of at least taking advantage of upgrades? That's the only other area, I guess, that your paid status upgrade would come in handy.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHL
Where will you be flying into CLT from? Is that a route you feel reasonably assured of at least taking advantage of upgrades?
^ Mid & West coasts. Lacking power & entertainment, #1 benefit is the larger seats, new experiences, & the booze....In plastic cups.

I usually opt to upgrade/for fee @ kiosk when offered, so I figured this was approximately the same deal, overall. Somehow the $ went down over the past few hours, but not an issue. Done deal. I feel better.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:26 pm

Programs: No longer traveling :-( HH Gold; AA Gold (1MM)- thx to FlyerTalk :-)
I have been silver the past couple of years and zone 2 has not been a problem. And, I have gotten FC upgrades on 60-70% of all flights. I don't think you need to buy that high up. Maybe just Gold will get you more upgrades.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:42 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
I'm Zone 1, and I've had problems getting my bag anywhere near my seat, although I've never had to check it. The problem is that many gate agents do "First Class" then "All elites" and half the plane gets on. Add to that the number of people standing near the gate with Zone 4 tickets who decide to just join in the fun and you can still have trouble stashing your bags.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:23 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Silver, US Silver, Delta SM
Buying up is one option, but also consider the Trial Preferred program - you pay a nominal fee ($200 for Silver IIRC, more for higher tiers) and are instantly given status. You simply have to fly X number of miles or segments (in 2009 to keep Silver was 7500mi/10 segments) to keep status BUT if you fly more in the trial period, you are bumped to the next level.

If you contact US Air, they may enroll you for free if they don't just status match you.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHL
As a UA Prem, when I fly US (in zone 2)....
UA Premier status = *A Silver. Which also equals US "Preferred" silver, both end up in 2. Ironically, at AA & UA, all holding status board before the seating groups (uhm, as it should be).. but @ US the 25K'ers are treated second standard. If you were UA Prem Exec/1K, you'd be *A Gold, pulled up to seating 1.

Originally Posted by MikeLaw
I'm Zone 1, and I've had problems getting my bag anywhere near my seat, although I've never had to check it.
I agree, but I've had to check it. Which gets messy when the remainder of your itin is on UA and US needs to transfer you bag. Gate crowders are the problem, with the line that morphs into a human funnel. Sure this exists in many airports/airlines, but for whatever reason it appears most prevalent with US folks @ CLT in the B & C terms.. which seem to be tightly closed in. Trying to get past the grp 3 peple asking "did they call three yet" becomes aggravating. I find this most challenging on the CLT -> LAX, SFO, DEN & ORD flights.

You mention you're in seating 1 - I find that interesting and would be curious to know under what circumstances. The only way I ended up in 1 was by using my UA 1K MP number = "STAR GOLD" posted on the BP and in setup in 1. Perhaps US seats their own Gold&Premiers in grp 1 too? But the apparent lack of 1s @ the gate is odd.

Originally Posted by rmmgt
Buying up is one option, but also consider the Trial Preferred program - you pay a nominal fee ($200 for Silver IIRC, more for higher tiers)....
Good point. Problem: they won't offer the challenge to the higher levels. I did the "free" Silver offer in Q3/4 2009. I flew two segments, only to be stuck on grp 2 / Silver status / *A Silver, had my bag checked & mis-routed. And I felt pretty crappy that I could have simply used my 1K status to get bumped up & avoided the mess. Needless to say was the last time I used my Dividend Miles account. Hopefully this time 'round will be happier.

-PP
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:42 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Phrequent
You mention you're in seating 1 - I find that interesting and would be curious to know under what circumstances. The only way I ended up in 1 was by using my UA 1K MP number = "STAR GOLD" posted on the BP and in setup in 1. Perhaps US seats their own Gold&Premiers in grp 1 too? But the apparent lack of 1s @ the gate is odd.
As a US Gold and now Platinum (and maybe CP in a week or so), I'm always zone 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.