Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: AS,TK
Just booked my last star award for my birthday trip .... with 4 hours layover in Rome which is good for reminding my lousy Italian
However I was lucky to get SQ 772ER refitted

SQ 879I 01NOV SA TPESIN
SQ 366I 02NOV SU SINFCO
SK 682I 02NOV SU FCOCPH
TP 753I 18NOV TU CPHLIS
TP 356I 22NOV SA LISLHR
BR 68I 22NOV SA LHRTPE
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I didn't have any issues when ticketing this. In fact the taxes and fees dropped $57/person to $210. Score one for using the hold option!

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
you may run in to trouble with the open jaw and stopover. This rule is frequently enforced. Have an alternative ready if they question this at ticketing.
Originally Posted by kingarthur
Just put two J tickets on hold for 110k each and $267 in taxes:
IAH - LAX
LAX - ICN (Asiana's new A380)
ICN - SYD (open jaw / destination)
BNE - TPE (EVA)
TPE - NRT (EVA) (stopover)
NRT - ORD (ANA 77W)
ORD - IAH

First time booking w/USDM, took 20 minutes on the phone, seemed too easy. I'd like to thank the contributors to this thread.

This is for mid-February 2015 so I'm crossing my fingers that I built enough float time for schedule changes. I purposely arranged each block of flights to be on only one foreign carrier (OZ, open jaw, BR, stopover, NH return).
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL:Lifetime Gold: US:CM:SPG:Lifetime Plat:HHonors:Diamond
Originally Posted by PHLFlyerDL
I have a confirmed award ticket using USAIR miles on a LH flight for alter this year. One of the legs of the itinerary is not on the flight we wanted that at this time has 24 open seats none available for award ticketing. I am watching the inventory to see if this flight opens up and was wondering if I will be able to call USAIR/AA to change it (with the change fee) after they are no longer in *Alliance?
I received the following from USAIR (good and bad news--good is that one can mix rewards or receive all miles back to re-book on OW--bad is that *A rewards are less miles the USAIR/AA or OW)
change origin, destination, airline carrier or stopovers if the new itinerary is allowed with the original ticket. A service fee and $150 reissue fee applies if you change flight times or dates. You can make changes by calling Reservations (subject to award seat availability). If you have paper tickets, you may need to visit an authorized US Airways ticketing facility.

Reissued award tickets have the same expiration date as the original ticket. Travel must be completed within one year of that date.

Learn more about changes to award tickets at:
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...mberguide.html

We will no longer have access to OA availability on the carriers we are terminating the relationship with after March 30, 2014. Completely unused award tickets booked with Star Alliance partners will be able to be mixed with US and the non oneworld partners in the next paragraph, or miles could be completely redeposited and itinerary rebooked using US Airways and oneword partners.

US Airways will continue partnerships with some partner airlines, so you’ll continue to earn and redeem miles when traveling on the following carriers: Aegean, Air China, Air New Zealand, Shenzhen Airlines, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, TAM, TAP and Turkish Airways. Note: Air New Zealand, Avianca, Eva and TACA partnerships will be ending in the upcoming weeks. Please refer to our website for exact dates.

To stay up on the latest information, customers can also visit www.usairways.com/arriving arriving.

We will exit Star Alliance on March 30, 2014 and plan to join the oneworld® alliance on March 31, 2014. As a 2014 Dividend Miles Preferred member, you will enjoy oneworld status once we join that alliance. Dividend Miles Silver Preferred members will enjoy Ruby status, Gold and Platinum members will receive Sapphire status, and Chairman’s members will be recognized with Emerald status.

You can look forward to earning and redeeming miles, reciprocal elite benefits and lounge access on other oneworld® carriers: airberlin, British Airways, Cathay Pacific Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, LAN Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Royal Jordanian, S7 Airlines and some 25 affiliated airlines. Some of these benefits will be phased in as we work toward full integration.

Read about oneworld benefits at:

http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/my-onewo...867D8CB2C72CAC

Thank you for being a member of our Dividend Miles program. We look forward to assisting you with any future needs.

Sincerely,
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:05 pm

Is it worth 30K extra DM just to fly F on TG for HKG-BKK-CDG and experience the F lounge?

Bear in mind that I haven't flown them before, or tried the Thai FC Lounge or flown on an A380. I know, I know, I'm deprived.

I've read that TG F service can be hit or miss, and they do last second equipment changes, BUT the BKK-CDG route seems pretty secure with the A380.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:16 pm

TG F is nothing to write home about, but it way better than TH J. So I would definitely upgrade, but don't expect LH/CX/SQ F experience.

BKK F lounge is very nice, but it's way overhyped.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Originally Posted by PHLFlyerDL
--bad is that *A rewards are less miles the USAIR/AA or OW)
Is this a confirmation that US would adopt a new award chart for OW redemptions?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Just burned the rest of my US miles on the following
JFK-IST TK
IST-JNB TK (stopover)
JNB-ADD ET
ADD-HKG ET (dest)
HKG-TPE BR
TPE-JFK BR
All in Y and booked seamlessly!
Cheers
Howie
Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Just burned the rest of my US miles on the following
JFK-IST TK
IST-JNB TK (stopover)
JNB-ADD ET
ADD-HKG ET (dest)
HKG-TPE BR
TPE-JFK BR
All in Y and booked seamlessly!
Cheers
Howie
Out of curiosity, how many miles were you quoted?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by mrahul
Out of curiosity, how many miles were you quoted?
There was some confusion but it seems they only took 60k from me.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Is it worth 30K extra DM just to fly F on TG for HKG-BKK-CDG and experience the F lounge?

Bear in mind that I haven't flown them before, or tried the Thai FC Lounge or flown on an A380. I know, I know, I'm deprived.

I've read that TG F service can be hit or miss, and they do last second equipment changes, BUT the BKK-CDG route seems pretty secure with the A380.
yes.

TG biz class is very average these days. F is a marked step up.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, BA Gold
Just booked the following in J for Feb 2015 using up some of my US miles before the change to OW:

CUN-CLT-EWR (US) stopover
JFK-TPE-MNL (BR) destination
MNL-TPE-JFK (BR)
LGA-PHL-CUN (US)

All for 90K miles!
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Planning to book an SQ/TK ticket (saw some availability), SIN to DEL, with a layover in IST. Has an IST transit for Southeast Asia to Central Asia route been done before? (Doing some search, but no reports here yet) How flexible would the US agents be? Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Will AA elites be able to change US-ticketed Star Alliance award bookings after 3/30 free of charge? or will the fact that we are not elite with US incur the reissue fee?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by bluegreentravel
Planning to book an SQ/TK ticket (saw some availability), SIN to DEL, with a layover in IST. Has an IST transit for Southeast Asia to Central Asia route been done before? (Doing some search, but no reports here yet) How flexible would the US agents be? Thanks!
No.

SIN-IST-DEL are 8195 miles. Max miles allowed between SIN-DEL are 3875 (25M).

Of course you can fly to IST, but you will be charged a ticket to Europe. And a Stopover in DEL is not allowed as no *A stopover.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Are there any reports of success mixing AA with *A carriers? (other than US)

Is there any confirmation on whether you can mix OW and non-OW partners next week, or will the non-OW partners only mix with US if with anything?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.