Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; HH Diamond; all the rest
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
If not successful, call UA and let them change the UA flights via SFO to LAX.

Right, US would be responsable for such a change, but they won't have any access to the *A award inventory anymore... So UA should help you in this matter. They only need to change the flights in their booking.

When you have done that, you need to call US again, because US has to re-issue your tickets. And yes, they still can re-issue award tickets with flight segments from their ancient alliance partner UA. Also here, let it escalate to the supervisor, if USDM reps start to tell you fairy tales...
This worked! I did try asking US first if they would contact UA for me; they wouldn't, but the USDM agent confirmed with their rate desk that if I did, they would reissue with the new UA flights.

UA made the change no problem.

When I called US back, the new USDM agent said UA should have done the reissue. I insisted, citing the first agent; she checked with the rate desk, came back, and did the reissue. Problem solved - thank you everyone!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DCA-SEA
This worked! I did try asking US first if they would contact UA for me; they wouldn't, but the USDM agent confirmed with their rate desk that if I did, they would reissue with the new UA flights.

UA made the change no problem.

When I called US back, the new USDM agent said UA should have done the reissue. I insisted, citing the first agent; she checked with the rate desk, came back, and did the reissue. Problem solved - thank you everyone!
Recently, had a similar issue with TG. Contacted TG who made the change and was then able to just use the "accept changes" button from the booking on the US airways site to revalidate the ticket; no need to actually speak to a US agent and convince them to reissue
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:39 am
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Friend has an US award booked back in Feb involving TG F on 380 FRA-BKK, stopover , then TG F BKK-PEK. The latter has had equipment change meaning a downgrade to C. No notice from US or TG.

So, pax could maybe have TG reroute if they still have F either via NRT/HND or HKG(better). Guess thats a huge maybe, as well as the risk screwing up OZ return flights?

Hopefully pax should be able to push for F ground service, and hopefully cash comp? Found a few stories here on FT with cash/voucher comp in area of 9000-15000 Bht per person. Appreciate any ideas how to best score anything here. Luckily pax have a printout of the original res showing O-class.

Obviously no reticketing from US for *A, and no EU comp as this is intra Asia. No refund of miles either in any case from US as there are other F segments as highest class of service. Trip is very good in any case, so the question is only what routines and options are in place, if any to compensate what is an actual downgrade, even with no notice.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:25 am

Programs: EB*D, Hilton Diamond, Carlson Gold Elite, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by skaya
Hopefully pax should be able to push for F ground service, and hopefully cash comp? Found a few stories here on FT with cash/voucher comp in area of 9000-15000 Bht per person. Appreciate any ideas how to best score anything here. Luckily pax have a printout of the original res showing O-class.
I got a cash comp for downgrade from F to C TG HND-BKK and F-service. I think it is crucial that you have a original print of booking class. Thailand however, is a bit like USDM-agents, not really on top of the rules. So here YMMV. You should at least get F-ground service, since that don´t cost TG anything.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Friend has an US award booked back in Feb involving TG F on 380 FRA-BKK, stopover , then TG F BKK-PEK. The latter has had equipment change meaning a downgrade to C. No notice from US or TG.

So, pax could maybe have TG reroute if they still have F either via NRT/HND or HKG(better). Guess thats a huge maybe, as well as the risk screwing up OZ return flights?

Obviously no reticketing from US for *A, and no EU comp as this is intra Asia. No refund of miles either in any case from US as there are other F segments as highest class of service. Trip is very good in any case, so the question is only what routines and options are in place, if any to compensate what is an actual downgrade, even with no notice.
If this is before the commencement of the first flight of the itinerary, the ticket will probably be reissued (or at least revalidated) prior to departure to reflect the downgrade in class of service.

As such they will be turning up at the airport with a business class ticket, paid for as business class. I would not expect any compensation, or F ground handling on a business class ticket.

I would also not expect a re-route via NRT to get to PEK. That would be well over 4000 miles of flying to cover a 2000 mile journey. And most likely still with business class for a sizeable portion of the journey.

They could of course cancel the ticket and rebook on oneworld - of which the majority of carriers will give far superior service to TG.

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Sep 10, 2014 at 4:38 am
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
If this is before the commencement of the first flight of the itinerary, the ticket will probably be reissued (or at least revalidated) prior to departure to reflect the downgrade in class of service.

As such they will be turning up at the airport with a business class ticket, paid for as business class. I would not expect any compensation, or F ground handling on a business class ticket.

I would also not expect a re-route via NRT to get to PEK. That would be well over 4000 miles of flying to cover a 2000 mile journey. And most likely still with business class for a sizeable portion of the journey.

They could of course cancel the ticket and rebook on oneworld - of which the majority of carriers will give far superior service to TG.
Yes, before flying the first segment. But I do guess that has also been the case for the few others who has reported comp. But it makes sense that Thai only gets paid for C. Tickets are not reticketed. Whether they are revalidated I guess there is no way to check, other than seeing C (I) on the different online tools, incl US under manage booking.

Rebooking on Oneworld is difficult due to little flexibility (hotels, connecting flights etc), as well as 2 pax in F. Also some last opportunity to try TG F on A380 as well as OZ F is surely a bonus.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
No notice from US or TG.
Please explain me, how TG should contact you about the changes...? All contact information are only stored in the US booking and won't be tranferred to TG...

So, you can only blame US... But as flying on a low cost ticket in First, you also need to do your homework and monitor your bookings in regard of changes...

If the change was done more than 14 days before departure, you're not eligibile for any compensation. The issuing carrier (US) could rebook you on other flights if available... If this is not possible, they can also offer you to cancel the whole ticket free of charge...

You would better looking forward to your holidays and not making thoughts if you will be compensated or not...
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Please explain me, how TG should contact you about the changes...? All contact information are only stored in the US booking and won't be tranferred to TG...

So, you can only blame US... But as flying on a low cost ticket in First, you also need to do your homework and monitor your bookings in regard of changes...

If the change was done more than 14 days before departure, you're not eligibile for any compensation. The issuing carrier (US) could rebook you on other flights if available... If this is not possible, they can also offer you to cancel the whole ticket free of charge...

You would better looking forward to your holidays and not making thoughts if you will be compensated or not...
AFAIK contact data are stored in the PNR? IIRC I have even seen my e-mailadress trasferred through when logging into other carriers sites. This is especially important regarding flights covered by EU regulations, as they are crystal clear that responsible for notification are the operating carrier (whether they actually do it themselves, or let ticketing carrier do it is another question)

And I dont agree that random pax has any obligation at all to regularly monitor their flights, whether paid cash or by miles. Notifying of changes of contract must solely be the responsibility of the part changing the contract. Clearly you and me know its good insurance to actually do monitor, but in any case that doesnt help more than being able to plan around changes with more notice, check possible reroutings, get helpful advice on FT on what you are entitled to, check how this is typically resolved etc.

Are you saying that pax are entitled to comp if it was changed less than 14 day prior to departure? (or are you only mixing up with EU regulations, not valid in this case) Note that with EU comp it would be the date of notification and not the date of equipment change that would matter. How would this be outside EU, with the rules you seem to quote?

I think pax are doing the excact right thing, by checking in advance, preparing, not letting this influence the trip while its ongoing- but just handle it as regular pre planning or afterwork.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:22 pm

AFAIK contact data are stored in the PNR? IIRC I have even seen my e-mailadress trasferred through when logging into other carriers sites.
Airlines can use different GDS... US uses Shares and TG Amadeus. TG just get trasferred the most necessary information from the US PNR. And thats not a phone number nor email adress. As SPOC for the passenger is always the marketing carrier (US) or travel agent until about T-48 before the flight. There are ways to transfer additional information to other carriers GDS, but thats not used as standard.

If airlines have the same GDS, then the details of the PNR can be visibel with all information, depending on the settings. I.ex. BA, CX, QR, LH, TG all use Amadeus...

And I dont agree that random pax has any obligation at all to regularly monitor their flights, whether paid cash or by miles. Notifying of changes of contract must solely be the responsibility of the part changing the contract. Clearly you and me know its good insurance to actually do monitor, but in any case that doesnt help more than being able to plan around changes with more notice, check possible reroutings, get helpful advice on FT on what you are entitled to, check how this is typically resolved etc.
Of course they should... But it's US... So little homework is necessary to start the vacation without unecessary stress at the airport...
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

And I dont agree that random pax has any obligation at all to regularly monitor their flights, whether paid cash or by miles.
I tend to agree that there shouldn't be an obligation on pax to regularly monitor their flights... but... as you say - it gives us the heads-up to make alternative arrangements before they are snapped up.

When Thai canceled one of their two daily SYD flights with F - it was first come first served for pax wanting to swap to the earlier flight in the day with F. If you snoozed, the F availability was gone.

Same applies here. With F gone to PEK - the earlier you know, the earlier you might find an alternative on say CX F FRA-HKG and then HKG-PEK.

For pax on fully paid fares - they have the commercial power to refund and fly another carrier if they're not happy. They're not subject to the same availability restrictions we are.

As for alternatives here... OZ F is good, and TG is OK. But I would recommend keeping an eye on CX F or JL F as better alternatives if you can manage the swap to oneworld (hotel in BKK not withstanding). I recently booked 2F in CX with a week's notice. So it is possible.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
Changes to US Award DCA-MEL on AA and UA?

I made a biz award with US miles pre-merger. Now I'd like to clean up the itin and change a DCA-CLT-LAX portion and LAX-CLT-DCA portion to NSs both ways.

Nobody at the airlines seems to be able to access the itin without cancelling the award and putting together a new one.

The domestic legs are now on AA flights (with US code share). The LAX-MEL-LAX is on UA. Trip is 1/7/15 to 1/19/15.

There are better NS available DCA-LAX-DCA, saving me some time and transfers.

Any ideas on if/how this can be done?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt, SPG Platinum
It can't be done - you booked a star alliance award pre merger. Only oneworld awards are available now.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Technically, it's possible. Both AA and US have agreements with UA, so they can have have mixed itineraries ticketed by US. But US won't do it. I remember calling few days before their exit from *A and wanted a domestic award - ORD to LAX - I think outbound had availability on UA and inbound on AA for the dates I wanted. I was told it can't be done. I wasn't connecting from UA to AA or vice versa but still I was told No. And that was at a time when they had access to *A and UA inventory - they don't anymore.

You obviously want to leave the LAX-MEL-LAX portions intact and just want to change the domestic segments but US won't do it even if there is now more availability and you can get flights that work better for you.

If the reservation cannot be accessed, I would get in touch with US DM and try to find out why - you don't want to end up dealing with this on day of travel.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by nor4
Any ideas on if/how this can be done?
No combination of OW carriers with any other US partner...

Shorten you award into LAX UA MEL UA LAX and buy a new ticket on your desired AA nonstop flights. Mind that you will not be protected if you get a misconnection between the two separate tickets...
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
Think there's a possibility of getting a same day change at the airport? I have a early afternoon flight DCA-CLT-LAX and there are a couple of later NS DCA-LAX. Not sure if the airport folks can fiddle with things like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.