Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
US always finds a way to screw up one of my award tickets at the last minute. For some reason they've decided to re-add segments that were cancelled into my ittn and throw the whole thing out of whack. Hopefully they'll just be able to delete and reissue.
Cheers
Howie
Instead of publishing such a non-informative post as you did, you would better let us more details about the changes... If you don't want to reveal more details, then you better don't publish anything!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I need some help.

I'm flying TXL-JFK-CLT-AUS on Wednesday with the transatlantic leg on Airberlin but I can't get seat assignments. I'm flying in Business (U class) and I'm a oneworld sapphire. I can see the reservation on AB website using AB's record locator, but there's no option to select seats. Is there any way to get a seat assignment here?

Thanks!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Originally Posted by geclub1
But, but, you can of course still get full refunds under this scenario. There is no difference whether we pay full dollar or half pennies in that regard.
Yes, you can surely get refunds of awards for schedule changes. But good luck using US miles now to fly on TG F, and redoing awards depends on award space- whereas cash is much more fungible and flexible, and can buy you tickets on different airlines.

If this was a ticket purchased with cash with LH, nowhere near the same song and dance involved.
Now I have one flight segment change time of 10 minutes. Anyone knows whether I can use that get out paying $150 cancellation fee?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:33 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by mbece
I'm flying TXL-JFK-CLT-AUS on Wednesday with the transatlantic leg on Airberlin but I can't get seat assignments. I'm flying in Business (U class) and I'm a oneworld sapphire. I can see the reservation on AB website using AB's record locator, but there's no option to select seats. Is there any way to get a seat assignment here?
You would need to call AB:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.4.0/Diamond - Enhanced Seat Map: 23 Jul 2014/AB 7248/TXL-JFK/332/Business]
Code:
     A   C   |   D   E   F   G   |   H   K    
 1                   X   X                    
 2       X       -           +       +        
 3   -               -   -               -    
 4       +       +           +       +        
 5   -               X   X               -    
 6       +                                    

[+] Available     [P] Preferred   [G] Galley
[-] Unavailable   [X] Blocked     [|] Aisle
Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by geclub1
Now I have one flight segment change time of 10 minutes. Anyone knows whether I can use that get out paying $150 cancellation fee?
It depends. Some people have been able to use minor schedule changes to make changes, others have been advised that the schedule change needs to be somewhat 'significant' in order to achieve other, unrelated changes, free of charge.

If the 10 minutes causes you to fall under MCT that would be a good reason.

Only thing you can do is try.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by KVS
You would need to call AB:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.4.0/Diamond - Enhanced Seat Map: 23 Jul 2014/AB 7248/TXL-JFK/332/Business]

Code:
A C | D E F G | H K
1 X X
2 X - + +
3 - - - -
4 + + + +
5 - X X -
6 +

[+] Available [P] Preferred [G] Galley
[-] Unavailable [X] Blocked [|] Aisle
Thanks for the map! I'll call AB, then.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012
What does it say on the Saudia website?
Showing the PVG-NRT segment that was cancelled as active.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Instead of publishing such a non-informative post as you did, you would better let us more details about the changes... If you don't want to reveal more details, then you better don't publish anything!
What happened is exactly what I said somehow my cancelled segment which was PVG-NRT was re-added to my ittn. About to call them to have it removed which should be easy but nothing with US is ever easy.
Cheers
Howie
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Showing the PVG-NRT segment that was cancelled as active.
yeah, well...that's a problem.

Better call, and good luck.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012
yeah, well...that's a problem.

Better call, and good luck.
Had a very confused agent who seems to have fixed it. Still have the PNR's for my cancelled flights listed on the us reservations page. Only with US this seems to happen third time I've had issues close to my trip.
Cheers
Howie
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Just curious about something. Some months ago, I booked TG F tickets for the whole family, and the toddler wound up in J on a single segment (all tickets used F mileage). Is it worth trying to get his segment upgraded to F at this point, as space has become available, or should I just leave the tickets alone and see what happens at the airport?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Just curious about something. Some months ago, I booked TG F tickets for the whole family, and the toddler wound up in J on a single segment (all tickets used F mileage). Is it worth trying to get his segment upgraded to F at this point, as space has become available, or should I just leave the tickets alone and see what happens at the airport?
the toddler will not be permitted to fly by themselves, TG may pick this up when they do their pre-flight systems check. They might cancel the ticket at that stage. A fellow FTer was prevented from flying TG just two days before departure once TG found out children were in a cabin they shouldn't have been.

in the event they are allowed to fly, an adult will need to sit in J and the toddler in F.

upgrading the ticket now, if it is even possible, would solve that.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
the toddler will not be permitted to fly by themselves, TG may pick this up when they do their pre-flight systems check. They might cancel the ticket at that stage. A fellow FTer was prevented from flying TG just two days before departure once TG found out children were in a cabin they shouldn't have been.

in the event they are allowed to fly, an adult will need to sit in J and the toddler in F.

Obviously a switch of cabins between toddler and adult is not a problem and is the intended approach if nothing else changes - I am not (seriously) expecting an upgrade for the toddler.

I'm wondering if I can even manage to modify the ticket at this point, though. And if yes, then how - call TG first to change, then US to revalidate? Since US has no access to TG inventory anymore.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

If it is who I'm thinking the issue was more so due to the cabin layout of the leased Jet Airways plane. OTOH though I do agree a toddler sitting by themselves may not be the best idea...
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Obviously a switch of cabins between toddler and adult is not a problem and is the intended approach if nothing else changes - I am not (seriously) expecting an upgrade for the toddler.

I'm wondering if I can even manage to modify the ticket at this point, though. And if yes, then how - call TG first to change, then US to revalidate? Since US has no access to TG inventory anymore.
I don't think USDM can modify the TG ticket - but worth asking.

In any event - what you don't want is TG going through the passenger list and seeing a toddler by themselves and cancelling the ticket.

Maybe a call to TG to explain what is happening so they can note the booking accordingly? Although that too could be fraught with problems

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.