Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Go for refund...?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Go for refund...?

Yesterday, my wife and I flew DCA -> BOS, back from a wedding. First trip away from our 14 month old for my wife, so she was eager to get back early.

We were booked on the 10.30am flight, but got to DCA in plenty of time to change to the 9.30am flight. I'm still 5 segments short of silver, so there's a $50 fee to change, which made my wife go bonkers ('WE're helping THEM!'), but I'd looked at the weather and guessed that the priority was getting home, so I forked over the cash.

Now the interesting part--we get to BOS, and it turns out that the 10.30am was cancelled. So was the 11.30, 12.30, 2.30 and a few others. The 1.30 got in at 6pm.

Turns out it was $100 well spent!

Question for this forum is: should I try to get my change fee back bc my original flight was cancellend and we did do them a favor? Anyone have any experience trying to do this? I assume it will be like flossing a cat, but $100 is $100.

Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
I doubt they'd give it back. You paid to deviate from the original itinerary that you purchased, which US prices at $50 per person, regardless of what ends up happening to your original flights.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
No, you got what you paid for. Didn't you? What would be your justification for asking for a refund?
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:17 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
[QUOTE=mdbruce1;10184152]Turns out it was $100 well spent![QUOTE]

Had you not paid the $100 you could still be in DCA waiting for US to have space to get you to BOS. It was definately $100 well spent and I would leave it at that. Besides, since you got what you paid for, like CPRich pointed out, I really don't think US would (or should) give you a refund.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by CPRich
What would be your justification for asking for a refund?
Greed?
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tommyleo
Greed?
Yep, greed.

Actually, it was sort of a timing thing. Basically, we paid the $100, and then literally 3 minutes later our original flight was cancelled. Had I taken a longer in the bathroom, there would have been no charge...

I'm quite happy with the result...probably leave it. No sense in angering the flight delay/bumping gods.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 1:41 pm

Programs: US/*A, Marriott, ICH, Budget, Avis
Originally Posted by mdbruce1
Yep, greed.

Actually, it was sort of a timing thing. Basically, we paid the $100, and then literally 3 minutes later our original flight was cancelled. Had I taken a longer in the bathroom, there would have been no charge...
you could think of that way, however after the flight (your orignal) cancelled there's no guarantee that there'd be any space for you guys on the earlier flight.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL
I think you would have an equally low chance at getting a refund if you told US Airways that the wicked witch of the west told you the fee would be refunded if you kept her safe from Dorothy and her bucket of water.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
It might help if you think of it as a "convenience fee" for jumping ahead of the line.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 4:00 pm

Programs: Alaska-MVP100k; AA-Plat; HH-Diamond; Hertz Pres
FWIW, I don't think OP has a chance of securing a refund. Of course, doesn't hurt to ask!

And mdbruce1, if you do ask US, let us know how it works out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.