Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US E-TUV Voucher Tips?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2007, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

US E-TUV Voucher Tips?

I received a $200 E-TUV voucher for some Thanksgiving travel troubles, but am unsure of the best way to use this.

I'd like to take a trip NYC to San Francisco this summer, but with trying to purchase a ticket this far out, the prices are fairly high. For example, a ticket in Feb on US Virgin is $260 RT, US Air is $300. But, tickets now for a June flight US Air jumps to $415.

I heard that the E-TUV tickets need to be booked way in advance, as they come out of the dividend miles seat availabilities.

Any tips for using my voucher?
Old Nov 28, 2007, 2:48 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to the US Air Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Nov 28, 2007, 3:18 pm

E-TUV should not come out of any fare bucket; book the ticket as would would and then tell them you want to to use the E-TUV. It should have nothing to do with fare class as it's a price discount.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
As far as I can tell from reading the T&C on some E-TUVs we receive. The E-TUV cert is good for one year from date of receipt of the E-TUV and it is not valid with Internet bookings.

It says that you can redeem the voucher by calling reservations or at any ticketing location ( which I take to mean airports ).

One potential negative here is for folks holding a smaller value E-TUV ( $25 to $50 ) as I assume that US is gonna jack you for a booking fee for the telephone reservation call and this would eat up a big chunk of the certificate's value. US gives with one hand, and takes with the other. They need to rethink the idea slightly as a customer should not encur any fee for redeeming an E-TUV ( which was issued for a problem/failure to perform by the airline ).

In your case, $200 is a good figure so you'll still walk away with a decent deal.

So long as you use the E-TUV within a year, you can use it as you choose. Just be sure to purchase a ticket that exceeds $200 in value to max out your benefit as there is no refund for the difference if the cert. exceeds the ticket price.

Barry

Barry
Old Nov 29, 2007, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K; CO Plat; Hilton Dimond; Marriott 3/3
Barry is right - they will give with the left hand, but slap with the right hand if you let them. Don't.

When redeeming E-TUV, you have to call or book at the airport. Remind them that you cannot do it on line and ask the fee to be waved. Be presistent. They will do it.

Good luck!
Old Nov 29, 2007, 9:07 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite 35; United Gold (maybe Platinum?)
Also know that the fares you see online may not be the same when you call - I've seen it work both ways, though 85% of the time the fare over the phone is a little more expensive.

They will waive the booking fee if you ask because you can't book any other way.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 8:39 pm

Programs: US,AA
Originally Posted by jerseyfinn
One potential negative here is for folks holding a smaller value E-TUV ( $25 to $50 ) as I assume that US is gonna jack you for a booking fee for the telephone reservation call and this would eat up a big chunk of the certificate's value.
no booking fee

actually becauise of some screwy thing as usair using an etuv usually works out cheaper than the actual fare. Last one i booked PHL-LAS it was showing $199 ow. I booked a RT and this is how the math worked out:
PHL-LAS $199 + LAS-PHL $199 - $200 E-TUV = $9.00

dont know how or why but i asked for an immediate email confirmation, got it and flewe the route without incident.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Transferability

My Dad has two of these for $75, can he use them to pay towards my travel? The agent I just spoke to said that they only apply to the original passenger..?

Thanks!
Old Dec 15, 2009, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by boat9781
My Dad has two of these for $75, can he use them to pay towards my travel? The agent I just spoke to said that they only apply to the original passenger..?

Thanks!
They are not transferable.

Last edited by GoodOmens; Dec 15, 2009 at 1:31 pm
Old Dec 15, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GoodOmens
If he gives you the PIN number you should be good to go. They are transferable.
There is no pin associated with the E-TUV. The pin was used in conjunction with the Take Flight Credit (TFC) vouchers. E-TUVs are associated with a regular PNR record locator and the PNR contains the passenger's name in which the E-TUV was issued.

To answer boat9781's questions, here are the T&Cs of the E-TUV copied from an e-mail sent to me by US: (emphasis mine on provisions pertaining to the post )

ELECTRONIC TRAVEL WITH US VOUCHER

How to Use:
1. May not be transferred, sold or distributed through wholesale
travel agents
2. May be used toward the price of one ticket/one fare on US
Airways, US Airways Shuttle, and US Airways Express, as well as their
codeshare partners. If the price of the ticket is greater than the value
of the voucher, you simply pay the difference. If the discount exceeds
the price of the ticket, no residual value will be given. Travel is
eligible for Dividend Miles credit.
3. Travel must be via the most direct routing available.
4. Travel dates must be determined prior to ticketing.
5. Call US Airways Reservations if you have any questions about the
use of this voucher and/or to make your reservations. Inform them you
will be using this Electronic Transportation Voucher.
6. Once a confirmed reservation is booked, you will be required to
pay the current fare and forfeit the voucher.
7. Redeem this voucher by calling US Airways reservations at
800-428-4322 or at any US Airways ticketing location.

Not Allowed
1. No stopovers permitted
2. Cannot be combined with any other voucher or any other document.
3. Not applicable toward service or penalty charges including
excess baggage fees or pet fees.
4. Not applicable toward the reissue of a previously issued ticket.
5. Prepaid Ticket Service (PTA) not permitted.
6. Not applicable towards a US Airways Vacations package.
So it is not transferable and even if it was only one voucher can be used for one ticket so he couldn't have combined the two $75 E-TUVs anyway.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Hmm. I read #1 differently. Isn't that pertaining to travel agents?

Anyways, thanks for the help!
Old Dec 15, 2009, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
Ahh got my vouchers confused. boat9781 I'm assuming its:

May not be transferred or sold. May not be distributed through wholesale
travel agents.

I see your point but I don't think you could wing it. Maybe someone could shed some light?
Old Dec 16, 2009, 9:46 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by GoodOmens
Ahh got my vouchers confused. boat9781 I'm assuming its:

May not be transferred or sold. May not be distributed through wholesale
travel agents.

I see your point but I don't think you could wing it. Maybe someone could shed some light?
From LOTS of personal experience, an E-TUV must be redeemed in the name of the passenger to whom it was issued, as it is associated with that passenger's PNR from the flight from which it was earned.

It must be redeemed by telephone or at the airport, at NO fee, because that is the only way it can be redeemed. It is a dollar amount off ANY fare.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 8:12 pm

Programs: *G, KLM Plat, Avis PC, SPG Plt, Hyt Plt
a positive experience with an E-TUV

I was pleasantly surprised when using a $50 E-Tuv on a $60 ticket recently (pit-lga one way). The agent on the phone said " The ticket costs $60 and your credit is worth $50 so Ill be able to issue this ticket with no charge. I was almost certain that she would see the error in attempting to book it......but it went through and the ticket was issued^

Were they being generous or was that just an agent not watching her math closely?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:28 am

USAirways baffles and frustrates me. Just spoke with an agent and she quoted my flights from DCA to MSY as $297 a/i. After applying my $75 ETUV, her new price was $283. Agent couldn't explain the math... anyone out there have insight into how $297-75=283?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.