Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware: Using Companion Certificate

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2007, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Beware: Using Companion Certificate

Just want to give everyone a heads up, be very careful when trying to use the Master Card companion certificates!

The agent (East side) we dealt with on the phone (SP line) did not properly PNR the tickets - doing 2 separate tickets instead of the companion, even though they were given the star code off the voucher.

Decided instead to go down to LAX during the slow time to have it corrected. The first West agent I spoke too didn't want to touch it, so I went to an East agent. Turns out they were not trained on Shares on how to use and redeem the compnion certificates!

Another East agent and a West supervisor now come over to try and fix the mess. While they're on the help line (over 40 minutes on hold) we lose the lower fare on one leg of the full price ticket (from $99 to $133). Finally someone at the counter who has been trained comes off a break and is able to correctly help join the PNR's into 1 ticket and within 5 minutes of that I am out the door.

All told I spent an hour at the LAX counter!

I called Tempe about the problem and the woman I spoke to sounded like this wasn't the first time she'd heard of this problem. I have a voucher coming.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:15 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
I used two of them by calling. They got set up quick, then they had me send the certs in. As soon as they got that I saw the PNR get a ticket number added.

Im in AZ, and wound up calling the Reno center (I use the I FLY AWA phone number)

Easy to do, and did not have to go to the airport or CTO.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
The companion certs are definitely now in the "buyer beware" category. I had the same headache 2 weeks ago at AVP. The agents were not trained on how to ticket these certs which were already in the reservation system, and it took a full hour (with the "help" of the IT helpless desk). I was told by Tempe that we will at some point be able to redeem these certs electronically, but I'm fairly certain this "perk" is pretty low on their priority list right now. I suggest saving yourself the frustration of going to a ticket counter, and just mailing them in, and monitoring it closely. Just be sure to keep a copy of the cert in case it gets lost in the mail.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 9:44 am

Programs: nwa united delta
I used it to buy 2 companion tickets and had all three in 1 PNR. Later, I called them to split into three different PNRs since the non-companion was for work.
They were able to split fine w/o any problem - overseas phone CSR.

Unlike other airlines' companion ticket coupons the US air one comes with minimal fine print or restrictions; in my view, pretty usable!

I wonder if I will have future problems if I decide to 'join' the PNRs (don't know why I will do a join though)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.