Community
Wiki Posts
Search

757 to London in Sep/Oct

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2007, 9:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by martin33
for LHR, as soon as their hot little hands are able.

temporary 757 usage, you're right, perhaps it was hasty to judge if they are busy refurbing the widebody fleet.
Do you honestly think US will pony up for LHR slots? That would seem out of character for them. It seems to me the only way to make any money flying into LHR is to sell a bunch of C, which, as you pointed out, seems unlikely. Are the Y yields to LHR much higher than those to LGW?
Old Apr 10, 2007, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by murphy
Do you honestly think US will pony up for LHR slots? That would seem out of character for them. It seems to me the only way to make any money flying into LHR is to sell a bunch of C, which, as you pointed out, seems unlikely. Are the Y yields to LHR much higher than those to LGW?
And UBS' research seems to agree with that. But I'm sure Kirby/Parker (Harry and Lloyd?) are smarter than them:

From http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/87529

UBS Research wrote: “US Airways has a bad (quarter) in most all respects.”

The investment company said the Tempe carrier could have fared worse and acknowledged Kirby’s positive guidance, but said higher fuel charges will continue to sock the entire industry, and US Airways’ lack of a big international business will hurt the carrier even more.

“International is the place to fly and (US Airways) doesn’t do enough of it. Industry wide domestic revenue per available seat miles looks flattish, while international is up nearly double digits,” according to UBS researchers
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:16 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by sdlevi27
“International is the place to fly and (US Airways) doesn’t do enough of it. Industry wide domestic revenue per available seat miles looks flattish, while international is up nearly double digits,” according to UBS researchers
I guess 19 European destinations aren't enough to qualify for "enough of it". If their widebody fleet doubles in size over the next 5 years, then they would have something to compete with.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 12:05 pm

If it were solely money, we'd be in agreement, but there's pride at stake and we know that personal pride is something Mr Parker and company are all too invested in.

They are bound to convince themselves that all they really need to take the PHL market is to redirect the traffic to LHR. As far as funding the slots for a CLT service, they would have a 2-pronged plan: 1) marginal savings from shutting down at LGW, and 2) a nice hefty fare increase for their "captive" flyers at CLT. They will doubtless remark that not having PHX/LAS to worry about means, compared to the other London "have nots", US is in a relatively cheaper transition cost situation. DL and CO will have to maintain dual London operations, since entering New York-LHR and CLE/CVG-LHR would be counterproductive, but moving Houston and Atlanta will be vital for keeping up with BA.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 12:06 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by PHL
I guess 19 European destinations aren't enough to qualify for "enough of it". If their widebody fleet doubles in size over the next 5 years, then they would have something to compete with.
With 8 F (lousy F too) seats, how can us make premium on these flights?
Old Apr 10, 2007, 12:17 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The transatlantic 757's have 12 true Envoy seats, right out of the A330s. Not anything like the "crappy" domestic F seats on the non-transatlantic 757's. 2 differnet beasts, really.

The A330 has 24 Envoy and 6 sleepers

The 767 has, and will continue to have, 24 Envoy seats with new lie-flat seats installed this Fall/Winter (07-08).
Old Apr 11, 2007, 8:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
If it were solely money, we'd be in agreement, but there's pride at stake and we know that personal pride is something Mr Parker and company are all too invested in.

They are bound to convince themselves that all they really need to take the PHL market is to redirect the traffic to LHR. As far as funding the slots for a CLT service, they would have a 2-pronged plan: 1) marginal savings from shutting down at LGW, and 2) a nice hefty fare increase for their "captive" flyers at CLT. They will doubtless remark that not having PHX/LAS to worry about means, compared to the other London "have nots", US is in a relatively cheaper transition cost situation. DL and CO will have to maintain dual London operations, since entering New York-LHR and CLE/CVG-LHR would be counterproductive, but moving Houston and Atlanta will be vital for keeping up with BA.
You may be right. Have you seen anything describing the slot awarding process for LHR? Will they be auctioned, or is it more like DCA?
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:51 am

You may be right. Have you seen anything describing the slot awarding process for LHR? Will they be auctioned, or is it more like DCA?
there is evidently a reallocation process, which is slow but cheap, and there is a private market, which is as fast as one's budget allows. before the new agreement was reached, I think we saw some good slot pairs trade hands for $16-20million per. I expect the price has since gone up.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:44 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
I thought I read somewhere that there actually are slots available now in very limited numbers, but very late at night (eg, unusable for transatlantic ops, except for daytime flights).
Old Apr 11, 2007, 1:02 pm

Programs: None
I've read the same, although it's been a while. Plenty of slots as long as you want to leave/arrive the US side in the wee hours of the morning.

Jim
Old Apr 11, 2007, 1:05 pm

Programs: OneWorld
Never flown a US airway 757, but the AA 757 are miserable in both cabins...
Old Apr 11, 2007, 1:57 pm

Programs: United 1k, BA Gold, LX Senator, Flying Blue Plat, IHG Plat. Ambassador, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
I've read the same, although it's been a while. Plenty of slots as long as you want to leave/arrive the US side in the wee hours of the morning.

Jim
Given the constant 3-4 hour arrival delays at PHL these slots may work well for connecting pax...
Old Apr 11, 2007, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy

Jim
having scheduled service between 11pm and 6am at LHR can only be done if the aircraft noise rating is below 99 EPNdB--- I know nothing about various plane noise levels, does US have any that quiet?

even so, one can see it now. takeoff 605am from LHR, arrive 830am PHL. depart 1055am PHL, arrive LHR 1055pm.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:10 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

having scheduled service between 11pm and 6am at LHR can only be done if the aircraft noise rating is below 99 EPNdB--- I know nothing about various plane noise levels, does US have any that quiet?

even so, one can see it now. takeoff 605am from LHR, arrive 830am PHL. depart 1055am PHL, arrive LHR 1055pm.
Which means people need to start queueing up at LHR around 4am, meaning they need to wake up even earlier to make the flight. Plus, their body clocks would really be a mess.

And, having a daytime flight from PHL to London would be really great, but it kills any *A connection options, so it would have to be primarily destination traffic. NY supports a few such flights, but most are evening departure/morning arrivals.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
Which means people need to start queueing up at LHR around 4am, meaning they need to wake up even earlier to make the flight. Plus, their body clocks would really be a mess.

And, having a daytime flight from PHL to London would be really great, but it kills any *A connection options, so it would have to be primarily destination traffic. NY supports a few such flights, but most are evening departure/morning arrivals.
I tried a daytime crossing option and liked it fine, but it's enough out of people's expectations to remain the second-fiddle option. Perhaps they would run one of those right away, on the cheap, and only pony up the big bucks for one "primetime" overnight slot pair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.