Any Chance for an Op-UP??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2007, 1:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Any Chance for an Op-UP??

Hi,
I will be flying with my family DCA-RSW (Flt 1221) tomorrow. What are the chances that some of use will recieve an op up.

We are all on the same PNR

I am a UA 1K
My dad is a UA 1K
My Brother is a UA *S
My mom is a UA *S

The flight looks full in Y so I am wondering what my chances are and how op-ups work on US.

Thanks
Ben
Old Apr 3, 2007, 1:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
There is anecdotal evidence that elites on UA are given op-ups with some kind of regularity. I've never seen it.

With GoFirst, everyone getting Gold, everything counts etc., those seats will probably be snagged by some Silver or Golds.

My guess is your chance is somewhere between 0 and 3%.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 2:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
There is anecdotal evidence that elites on UA are given op-ups with some kind of regularity. I've never seen it.

With GoFirst, everyone getting Gold, everything counts etc., those seats will probably be snagged by some Silver or Golds.

My guess is your chance is somewhere between 0 and 3%.
But by now all of the windows have passed for the US elites and there are plenty of F seats left.

BTW-I cant imagine that people would buy up to F via GO First on a leisure route like DCA-RSW.

Ben
Old Apr 3, 2007, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by Benny8444
BTW-I cant imagine that people would buy up to F via GO First on a leisure route like DCA-RSW.

Ben
While I agree with you that it's not worth paying for, people actually do buy first on this route. RSW has a lot of "old money". I commuted down there a couple years ago and as a US preferred there would be flights I wouldn't be upgraded on.

Op/ups occur after they do first for sale. So, I agree with the other poster, 3% is about right.

And also, don't forget, US holds a good number of seats back for sale in the F cabin so there's most likely at least a couple preferreds that haven't cleared yet.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by belynch
And also, don't forget, US holds a good number of seats back for sale in the F cabin so there's most likely at least a couple preferreds that haven't cleared yet.
+1. As a US GP, I usually do not clear until at the gate bc they hold so many seats for last minute sale.

I would just ask when you check in and make sure they put you on the list for volunteers, and hope for the best.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 4:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, National EE, Hertz PC
From all the flights I have taken in since the shares cut over it seems they stop holding F seats at 24 hours pre-flight and make them all available in the O bucket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.