Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More Bad PR... US Disappoints a Girl Scout Troop....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2007, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, US, IB. Low man on the totem pole again.
More Bad PR... US Disappoints a Girl Scout Troop....

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...tory?track=rss
Old Apr 1, 2007, 8:14 pm

Programs: US Silver
I do feel sorry for them, but my first thought when I read this story was "that's not how your supposed to use funds raised by selling cookies". Rules may have changed since I was a Girl Scout leader (god help me), but it used to be unacceptable to hold funds of this magnitude from year to year.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 8:52 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
"None of the passengers, including the Scouts, was offered vouchers for an additional free flight, a once-common balm for customers inconvenienced by flight changes. US Airways spokeswoman Valerie Wunder said the flight had been canceled because of maintenance issues."

Amazing. US's plane is broken, yet US takes no responsibility for its failure to have a plane ready for the scheduled flight.

Before any of you US apologists flame me for expecting US to fly an unsafe plane, save your presumptions. I'm not expecting US to fly unsafe planes. I'm expecting US to have safe planes ready when scheduled. Why is that so much to ask?
Old Apr 1, 2007, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by tommyleo
Why is that so much to ask?
Uhh, because it's US.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 9:48 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
wow

And I thought my similar situation was bad.. but I'm reading more and more cases (so far only USAirways) where USAirways won't rebook people for days, on paid tickets, after problems under USAirway's control. This actually used to be the thing that worried me most about flying Southwest (since they don't interline, and it has happened a lot that people are stuck for days since all Southwest flights are full after some bad weather delays)... but on USAirways.. they interline.. they have a lot of flights and weird connections possible... I'm surprised. I guess back in the good ole days -- 1999-2001, it was pretty easy to get USAirways to interline you on another airline, or at least re-route you anyway possible, now it seems pretty much impossible.

Well at least they'll get to go in a couple of months, hopefully.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 9:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Folks, I have deleted some posts from this thread. The first one was incorrect in some assumptions about FT rules and the subsequent posts quoted and referred to it. To keep from this thread turning into a debate about the FT TOS, I've clarified the situation with the appropriate party and deleted the corresponding posts.

-AZ
Old Apr 1, 2007, 10:03 pm

Programs: Formerly: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, FT Addicts Anonymous; Currently: Grounded
Yeah, no compensation for a mechanical (when rebooked for days later) is pretty bad.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 10:13 pm

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
US AIRWAYS needs to step it up and make sure they take care of their customers. I know it is us singing to the choir, but it shocks me how bad they are at taking care of their customers...
Old Apr 1, 2007, 10:18 pm

Programs: US Gold, Avis CHM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by pitflyer
And I thought my similar situation was bad.. but I'm reading more and more cases (so far only USAirways) where USAirways won't rebook people for days, on paid tickets, after problems under USAirway's control. This actually used to be the thing that worried me most about flying Southwest (since they don't interline, and it has happened a lot that people are stuck for days since all Southwest flights are full after some bad weather delays)... but on USAirways.. they interline.. they have a lot of flights and weird connections possible... I'm surprised. I guess back in the good ole days -- 1999-2001, it was pretty easy to get USAirways to interline you on another airline, or at least re-route you anyway possible, now it seems pretty much impossible.

Well at least they'll get to go in a couple of months, hopefully.
Yeah, my recent experiences tell me that USAirways seems to be very reluctant to interline, whether the the flight was cancelled due to weather or maintenance issues.

Moreover, they seem to be reluctant or unwilling to even try to re-route stranded passengers on another USAirways flight if it's anything other than their original routing or something close. Forget any weird routing even when seats are clearly available. To me, that's just wrong.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by Greg P.
Yeah, my recent experiences tell me that USAirways seems to be very reluctant to interline, whether the the flight was cancelled due to weather or maintenance issues.

Moreover, they seem to be reluctant or unwilling to even try to re-route stranded passengers on another USAirways flight if it's anything other than their original routing or something close. Forget any weird routing even when seats are clearly available. To me, that's just wrong.
That has been true for me as well. Once I missed my connection to DCA in CLT and it was the last flght out. US told me tough luck ad I would have to fly out the next morning. So as I was walking to exit the terminal I noticed a flight to BWI on the departures board was delayed and would start boarding in 15 minutes. So I asked the GA to put me on the flight.......it was W I D E open too, I even got an F seat. The FA from my 1st segment told me there were 26 pax connecting to DCA, it would have been nice to mention there was an alternate flight available instead of telling us to go get a hotel.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 5:48 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Again, US shows how stupid (or is it drunk) mngt can be? Maybe dougie has instilled the "no decision made unless you are trashed" mantra at all mngt levels?

My guess is that all of the US apologists on here will say "See, they should have planned their trip leaving a WEEK in advance!"

Why should US be responsible? They are in the game of making money, NOT taking care of PAYING pax!

Oh, this is gonna be a lovely 2007 for this CR@P-BAG of an airline!
Old Apr 2, 2007, 6:06 am

Location: The First State, USA - Bonvoy Gold, Honors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Gold - FWIW
The Contract of Carriage is now revised to make rebooking on OA an option, not a "guarantee".... Figures.
(emphasis mine)

Rebooking
When a ticketed customer holding confirmed reservations on a flight will be delayed because of a schedule irregularity (whether a missed connection, flight cancellation, omission of a scheduled stop, substitution of equipment or a different class of service or schedule change), US Airways will rebook the customer on its next available flight to the customer’s ticketed destination without additional charge. If US Airways is unable to provide onward transportation, US Airways may attempt to rebook the customer on the next available flight of another airline with which US Airways has an agreement allowing the acceptance of each other’s tickets.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 6:17 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Again, US shows how stupid (or is it drunk) mngt can be? Maybe dougie has instilled the "no decision made unless you are trashed" mantra at all mngt levels?

My guess is that all of the US apologists on here will say "See, they should have planned their trip leaving a WEEK in advance!"

Why should US be responsible? They are in the game of making money, NOT taking care of PAYING pax!

Oh, this is gonna be a lovely 2007 for this CR@P-BAG of an airline!
Your posts might be viewed with a greater sense of credibility if you left out some of your venemous, "spurned-lover" comments... You are free to write whatever you will, but it is quite clear that you are completely incapable of fair and reasonable evaluations of this particular airline.

Just my opinion...
Old Apr 2, 2007, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
2 observations:

1, LCC is tanking this morning. Looks like the constant stream of bad news is finally biting them in the arse.

2, I'm sure the girl scouts will be offered some sort of goodwill gesture by US now that's it's national news. But what about the rest of us schlubs? I have a "pending" issue with Customer Service that's approaching a month old now. Do I have to resort to public shaming?

(vysean, I agree 100% with your post.)
Old Apr 2, 2007, 9:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
Truly disgraceful. Throw away all FF perks and upgrades and the one thing that I demand of an airline is reliabile transport generally within a few hours of the published schedule. When an airline fails at this they better do anything and everything to fix the situation. I left AA because their Ops were horrid (3 day delays at times on a simple DCA-MIA-STX trip) with little attempt to make things right when a problem ocurred. I would not hesitate to leave US over ops problems like this becoming more common. Fortuantely it has not yet happened to me but I feel like I'm hearing more and more horror stories about basic operational failures that will drive away not just FF's but the flying public in general.

Sean

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.