Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight in CLT quarantined

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2007, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by SS255
Yikes! And this is the type of customer that the Sandcastle is relying on to pay all its bills once they have no elites left!
I really respect people who tell it like it is...welcome to my list!

People who can't manage their drinking and do stupid sh*t that affects other people should be held accountable. Unless another party was pouring the booze down this idiot's throat...IT IS HIS FAULT!! For those blaming anyone else but the idiot...Seriously, cut everybody a break on this board with the BS!!
Old Mar 24, 2007, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by ralfp
You'd be surprised how quickly one can get drunk in F. I'd say that one could easily down 6 minis (even as part of mixed drinks) in 1.5 hours, though I don't know if an FA would continue the supply past 4 or 6
A few months ago my GF and I were upgraded on a PVD-DCA flight. Thanks to our pre-flight drinks and a couple of in-flight refills, we realized that between the two of us, we'd been given 9 mini bottles for a roughly 1 hour flight. We didn't drink all of them, but that's exactly the type of situation that could very easily lead to someone getting drunk enough to do something like this idiot did--all you'd need is a generous FA, or a companion to feed you some of his/her supply on top of what you could get for yourself.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 1:12 am

I don't remember what services were inside security at MSY, but it's highly possible that the guy could have walked on to the plane with an alcoholic beverage in hand (frozen daquiris fit nicely into a styrofoam cup).

Nowadays, I usually board with my own beverage (coffee, diet Coke, or water) because if I'm not in F, it'll be at least a half an hour before I could even consider getting a beverage. Some of the prescription drugs that I take make me constantly thirsty.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 7:13 am

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
I was connecting through CLT last Friday during this mess. There were ambulances, fire trucks, police cars, all over the place. At least new 2 helicopters over CLT. The "C" concourse was a mad house trying to get from one end to the main terminal.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 7:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
This is not US' fault. This is a drunk idiot's fault.

I'm all for drinking and relaxing with some cocktails on a flight - even a short one - but if you tend to do stupid things when drunk (like claim you've infected 100+ people with a previously eradicated deadly disease), you might want to limit the alcohol intake to your own home.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
I guess there's not much "the authorities" could have done differently. Sure, the odds were probably 99.9% he DIDN'T have smallpox, but it's hard to just ignore it. Kind of like bomb threats.
I disagree. He was as likely to have exposed everyone to smallpox as he was to be an actual extra-terrestrial from another galaxy or to have possessed an actual nuclear warhead in his carryon. And everyone who thinks about it knows it (or should).

Taking his "threat" seriously merely told every drunk, wannabe terrorist and nutcase out there what they need to do in order to disrupt normal life in our country.

Our nation's collective insanity intensifies.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Local news just said this guy is undergoing a psyc exam today. No kidding.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 11:30 am

Programs: US Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I disagree. He was as likely to have exposed everyone to smallpox as he was to be an actual extra-terrestrial from another galaxy or to have possessed an actual nuclear warhead in his carryon. And everyone who thinks about it knows it (or should).

Taking his "threat" seriously merely told every drunk, wannabe terrorist and nutcase out there what they need to do in order to disrupt normal life in our country.

Our nation's collective insanity intensifies.
Oh, I disagree. While it's highly unlikely that he really was infected at least everything was contained at that point. It may have (seriously) impacted a few hundred people for a few hours while they waited for the tests to run, but if there really was a threat then allowing those people out could have caused thousands of infections and a serious public image problem for whoever made that decision.

On the other hand, a real terrorist isn't going to stand up and announce that he's just infected everyone before they get off the plane and have a chance to infect people around them, but given the situation I think they made the only decision they could.

Last edited by BrettS; Mar 26, 2007 at 11:58 am
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:58 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by BrettS
Oh, I disagree. While it's highly unlikely that he really was infected at least everything was contained at that point. It may have (seriously) impacted a few hundred people for a few hours while they waited for the tests to run, but if there really was a threat then allowing those people out could have caused thousands of infections and a serious public image problem for whoever made that decision.
The chance of him having smallpox was, for all intents and purposes, zero. It would make more sense to quarantine flights whenever a pax has a high fever. In this case one could actually prevent the spread of infection.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Local news just said this guy is undergoing a psyc exam today. No kidding.
Wouldn't you like to know who's picking up the bill for that... Whatever happened to throwing rowdy drunks in jail for a couple days to see if their senses return...then probing a little deeper?? Psyc exam...geez.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by fishintheobx
Wouldn't you like to know who's picking up the bill for that... Whatever happened to throwing rowdy drunks in jail for a couple days to see if their senses return...then probing a little deeper?? Psyc exam...geez.
Now I just hear on the local news tonight that the FBI is done with him. So I'm guessing no charges.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: US Chairmans, Air Tran Elite, NWA Silver, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Now I just hear on the local news tonight that the FBI is done with him. So I'm guessing no charges.
I'd love to see US and the government go after this guy for all the expenses incurred as a result of his stunt.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: US Chairmans, Air Tran Elite, NWA Silver, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ralfp
The chance of him having smallpox was, for all intents and purposes, zero. It would make more sense to quarantine flights whenever a pax has a high fever. In this case one could actually prevent the spread of infection.
Its better to be safe than sorry. Somebody makes a threat and that threat has to acted on. Who would have known at the time that this guy did not have smallpox??? Its scary that there are people out there that think threats/stunts like this guy pulled shouldnt have been dealt with as it was.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:24 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by mrhotelman
Its better to be safe than sorry. Somebody makes a threat and that threat has to acted on. Who would have known at the time that this guy did not have smallpox??? Its scary that there are people out there that think threats/stunts like this guy pulled shouldnt have been dealt with as it was.
Better safe than sorry? The only existing (okay, known existing) samples of smallpox are on ice in two labs: one in the US and one in Russia.

Think cost/benefit. By detaining X people Y hours, you take X*Y hours of life. Given the basically zero chance of him having smallpox, plus the fact that the dude was probably crazy and the real threat in such a situation is that he would harm others, the safe thing to do is let the pax out.

OTOH if he had claimed to have H5N1 or something like that...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.