Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A message from DP concerning this past weekend

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2007, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
A message from DP concerning this past weekend

This was originally posted to US employees via their corporate website known as "The Hub".

A message from Doug Parker
March 20, 2007

This weekend, an ice storm moved through the Northeast and had a significant impact on all airline operations, including ours. At one point, US Airways had more than 100,000 misconnected customers as the storm shut down runways at PHL, BOS, EWR and elsewhere. We cancelled about 1,500 flights on Friday alone (462 mainline and 1,038 Express); on Saturday, we cancelled another 823 mainline and Express flights. And Sunday, we had cancelled another 200 flights.

When you consider the load factor booked on most of these flights was north of 85 percent, you can quickly see just how devastating this past weekend was for our customers, as well as our frontline employees. We also had loads for the next several days that were forecast over 90% which meant that we simply didn’t have enough seats in the system to reaccomodate all of the customers from the cancelled flights.

Over the two days, I’ve heard from many of you wondering why our operation was so challenging this past weekend. While not everyone might want the degree of detail outlined here, I think you all deserve to know exactly what happened this past weekend and what we are doing to recover.

A Perfect Storm (of ice pellets, high loads and treacherous travel conditions)
The difficulties began Friday when a predicted “wintry mix” storm quickly became something far worse. Although forecast to be light snow, what happened instead was a small 20-mile wide band of operationally devastating weather that moved from southwest to northeast right over the top of Philadelphia and New York. Airports south of this narrow band had rain and could stay open and airports north of this narrow band had snow and could also stay open. Only in the narrow band of ice pellets were aircraft prohibited from taking off. Normally, the storm would move and the ice would turn to either snow or rain which would allow takeoffs to resume and in fact, that’s what our weather forecasts continued to predict. This one, however, stayed over PHL all day and as a result, PHL was closed for takeoffs from 10am through the rest of the day.

While our operations team kept expecting a change to either rain or snow (either of which we could safely operate in), the ice continued and we ended up saturated in PHL.

With PHL closed, we were forced to cancel hundreds of flights, or divert flights from Northeast cities in to our hub at Charlotte, NC. We had similar icing problems at the Shuttle cities and at PIT. These cancellations and diversions, of course left many airplanes and crews “out of position” and many employees driving to some of these airports had a rough time given the treacherous road conditions.

Although not any solace to our customers; we weren’t alone with the weather challenges. Other airlines had similar challenges and because we are in the middle of spring break travel, there were few options for re-accommodation on any airline (remember the 90 plus load factors for several days in a row). We were getting requests from other airlines for assistance and we were doing our share of asking for seats too. And once passengers ended up in one of the hubs, notably PHL and CLT, there wasn’t much choice but to wait in line to rebook.

Because we had over 100,000 customers to reaccomodate, reservations had very long hold times, the airports had really long lines, and patience, understandably, grew thin. Hotels were completely full in many cities, so customers spent the night in the airport on cots, and in some cases, they spent more than one night in the airport.

Digging Out
As the weekend progressed, our employees worked double- and triple-time to bring extra flights to Charlotte and other cities to get customers where they needed to be. We offered refunds and future flight vouchers to customers who could travel later. Crewmembers came in on their days off to staff flights. Specifically, we flew extra sections from CLT to Miami, Orlando and Buffalo; on Sunday; we flew an extra section from PHL to Aruba.

Our employees worked with local airports to bring cots and food to our customers who could not get into overflowing hotels. We opened our clubs to elderly customers and families with small children.

By Sunday afternoon, we were making progress. Lines at CLT – which on Saturday numbered close to 2,000 customers – were down to several hundred by Sunday afternoon. Philadelphia and other Northeast cities’ lines were down to levels comparable to a heavy holiday travel weekend, a major improvement from just 24 hours earlier.

Week Ahead
So just when Res migration and an ice pellet storm end, many employees wonder what’s next. High loads due to spring break remain, but hopefully, we’ll operate under much more cooperative weather. In addition, while still tight, crew staffing is recovering and we believe we will be staffed to run the full operation Monday morning. The load factor estimates for the week ahead are listed below:

Monday – ML 85.5%, EX 79.7%
Tuesday – ML 77.8% EX, 71.1%
Wednesday – ML 81.0%, EX 74.7%
Thursday – ML 86.5%, EX 80.0%
Friday – ML 89%, EX 83%
Saturday - 90+%
Sunday - 87.1%

To say this past weekend was frustrating to our frontline employees, particularly coming after two tough weeks following Res migration, is an understatement. To simply say “thank you” at this point rings hollow, and more hat tricks and cookouts seem trite. I know that this weekend was very difficult for our customers and employees, particularly coming on the heels of Res migration. We were caught by a storm that closed PHL and other Northeast station and because of Spring Break loads, it has taken us days to recover and made for a very difficult work environment.

We didn’t deliver that this weekend, and we haven’t delivered that for the past few weeks. That must change and it will. Recognize this is due to no fault of our frontline employees and to be clear, our operations team did the best they could with the information they had to work with.

In closing, I realize I’ve provided a lot more detail about an irregular ops weekend than normal. But this past weekend was anything but normal and coming on the heels of Res migration, I felt you all deserved to know as much as possible about what went wrong this past weekend, as well as where we are right now.

If you worked the frontlines over the weekend, please accept -- again -- my humble and personal thanks for all that you endured and did to help our customers. Please know that we are doing everything in our power to resume normal operations as quickly as we can. Thank you for all you’re doing to assist that effort
Old Mar 20, 2007, 6:56 pm

I call balloney on this...I am sick of all the talk from DP, he needs to start walking the talk and FIX the problems.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 6:56 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Thank God I've been on vac during this time & still have a few more to go, so I've been watching(barely) this thing at a distance.
However what this (I wont say it) doesn't say is that at least here in CLT the employees were put on mandatory over time & have just about had it. They are about to drop as in nothing else they can do. Just hung up with a coworker who gave me that info.

I think most of us need time off for mental health issues after dealing with this & I'm ready to start sugguesting it to those who come to me.

Last edited by coachrowsey; Mar 20, 2007 at 7:01 pm Reason: add last sentence
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Thank God I've been on vac during this time & still have a few more to go, so I've been watching(barely) this thing at a distance.
However what this (I wont say it) doesn't say is that at least here in CLT the employees were put on mandatory over time & have just about had it. They are about to drop as in nothing else they can do. Just hung up with a coworker who gave me that info.

I think most of us need time off for mental health issues after dealing with this & I'm ready to start sugguesting it to those who come to me.
Aren't there rumors of a blue flu, Coach??
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:06 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by jimcfsus
Haven't been there so don't know....but I do know about mental health issues.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by jimcfsus
Wouldn't surprise me one bit. But has this ever been a problem at CLT before?
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by usa18dca
I call balloney on this...I am sick of all the talk from DP, he needs to start walking the talk and FIX the problems.
There are certainly ongoing issues with the system migration - tell me about it - but when an airline's hub airport closes for an entire day, it's a big problem. It's not 'baloney' at all, it's the facts. And it wasn't limited to US.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
*sigh*

I wish I could take this seriously but actions speak louder than words.

I feel like a battered spouse. Flowers and apologies don't suffice anymore and it's probably time to take a restraining order.

*sigh*
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by warbo
And it wasn't limited to US.
Was there another airline in the US that stranded 100,000 pax that we did not hear about?? It's not so much about what happened...it's about what happened afterwards and how people were treated.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jumpgate
I feel like a battered spouse. Flowers and apologies don't suffice anymore and it's probably time to take a restraining order.

*sigh*
You got that right...and this spouse even has a drinking problem to match!

May be time to break it off and go back to dating...
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by warbo
There are certainly ongoing issues with the system migration - tell me about it - but when an airline's hub airport closes for an entire day, it's a big problem. It's not 'baloney' at all, it's the facts. And it wasn't limited to US.
Peter...

I am aware that hub closures are unavoidable in bad weather but the actions spoke louder than words...granted that I am Deaf and I did not hear Tempe or US Airways making penance for their unprepared actions...

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Haven't been there so don't know....but I do know about mental health issues.

Coach, You working Saturday or uhh Wednesday mornings? I'd like to buy you some coffee or some Jamba Juice at CLT, I'll PM you my layover times.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; US Gold; DL Silver
Apologies and "here's a frank view of what happened" doesn't work anymore.

After all the problems the employees and customers have been through, they have to step up to the plate and say:

1) We screwed up. Big time.

2) We're sorry.

3) We're changing and here's how. Concrete, quality changes.

4) Here's how we're holding the executives and management accountable in implementing these changes.

5) Here are rewards for our employees for grinding through this without allowing the entire company east of the Mississippi to go out of business. Significant rewards that reflect the work they've put in to keeping things running.

6) Here is how we're making it up to our customers. Our biggest spending customers will get the biggest compensation -- but even cheap-fare infrequent customers will be receiving something tangible of value to reflect our apologies.

7) Here's why this will *never* happen again. And if it does, heads will roll.

Absent those seven things, mea culpas don't cut it any more.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Funny--I don't remember being offered a voucher or a refund to travel later when I was waiting in line for four hours! Sure wish someone had offered that up to me.

The reservations centers were not just long wait times. On Friday all I got was a busy signal, "all circuits busy," or an immediate disconnect when I pushed the button to speak to an agent.

I did not see anyone sleeping in the US clubs in CLT. However, they did provide cots, but no blankets and no heat.

Furthermore, it took most agents longer to process reaccomodations and standbys in Shares. Not all kiosks were functioning for many of the customers who had regularly scheduled, non-cancelled flights, so they, too, misconnected and had to be rebooked.

If you don't mind the pun, the combination of all of these issues and others snowballed into this fiasco.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by fishintheobx
Wouldn't surprise me one bit. But has this ever been a problem at CLT before?
In my 10 years of frequent flying on US East, mostly through CLT, I have never seen anything like what happened this weekend to so many people, customers and employees alike.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:27 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
The problem is it is OVER and OVER. Weather, computers, weather, migration, weather, computers...DEAL WITH DoUgIe! Other airlines do!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.