Wiki Posts
Search

Will US survive this "weekend meltdown?"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2007, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum; US Gold; DL Silver
Will US survive this "weekend meltdown?"

I am hearing from enraged US loyalists who gave me a hard time for getting a status match from Delta, who are still waiting to get on US metal from PHL and DCA, speaking of ruined vacations and complete breakdown in communications with US.

It sounds even worse than the JetBlue fiasco.

With such a dramatic rupture in confidence, with the problems of the reservation changeover happening not much further before, am I the only one starting to wonder if this is going to have long-term consequences on US's business?

I know devout Southwest loathers who are now talking about booking on SWA in Philly whenever possible, who tell me of full happy flights of SWA leaving Philly while US Airways had just lines. It sounded like a complete and total nightmare -- even worse than the experiences of colleagues of mine who were stuck in NYC for an extra day.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 7:28 pm

Would love to see US flyers leave for Southwest

It would be great if more folks hopped aboard Southwest.. Yes, there are the "I won't fly Southwest they don't assign seats" crowd out there. Know what? If you have a ticket, checked in with ample time, showed up, etc, you'll get a seat. If there's a few of you traveling together, you'll likely get seats together. Don't want to stand in a long line? Get an "A" Group, wait for all of A to board, then board at the end of "A" still get a great seat.

You (97 pct of the time) won't get a rude flight attendant, a "its not my job" fight between the GA and FA, a pilot who hides behind the cockpit when there's a delay (I like how the WN pilots come out and talk with folks during these situations, smile, put a postiive spin on things).

A friend flew US in January - I had a US voucher and they flew to a small airport not served by WN - anyway, I hated how though we printed our boarding pass at home, when we got to the baggage check they made us use the kiosk again. Hello? What's the point of that? with the BP at least I get something in my hands I can use, but since the agent prints the tag, slaps it on, why can't they just do it?

A WN rep would have gladly helped without forcing the non-useuful (in that specific situation) technology on us. Oh, yeah, and WN Kiosks work!
Old Mar 19, 2007, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PHLflying
It would be great if more folks hopped aboard Southwest.. Yes, there are the "I won't fly Southwest they don't assign seats" crowd out there. Know what? If you have a ticket, checked in with ample time, showed up, etc, you'll get a seat. If there's a few of you traveling together, you'll likely get seats together. Don't want to stand in a long line? Get an "A" Group, wait for all of A to board, then board at the end of "A" still get a great seat.

You (97 pct of the time) won't get a rude flight attendant, a "its not my job" fight between the GA and FA, a pilot who hides behind the cockpit when there's a delay (I like how the WN pilots come out and talk with folks during these situations, smile, put a postiive spin on things).

A friend flew US in January - I had a US voucher and they flew to a small airport not served by WN - anyway, I hated how though we printed our boarding pass at home, when we got to the baggage check they made us use the kiosk again. Hello? What's the point of that? with the BP at least I get something in my hands I can use, but since the agent prints the tag, slaps it on, why can't they just do it?

A WN rep would have gladly helped without forcing the non-useuful (in that specific situation) technology on us. Oh, yeah, and WN Kiosks work!
There are a lot more reasons not to fly WN than that.

I hope that US fliers leave US for another legacy carrier. In most respects, all five of them are better. We don't need WN adding any more flights (well anywhere for that matter) but especially in PHL. The airport is already over-crowded as it is. the WN ramp-up was the icing on the cake.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum; US Gold; DL Silver
If WN can get Philly flyers where they need to go, that's all that matters to most people at this point.

I cannot believe US would allow its crown jewel hub to descend to the chaos being seen right now. It's just shocking.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by FrequentHopper
I am hearing from enraged US loyalists who gave me a hard time for getting a status match from Delta, who are still waiting to get on US metal from PHL and DCA, speaking of ruined vacations and complete breakdown in communications with US.

It sounds even worse than the JetBlue fiasco.

With such a dramatic rupture in confidence, with the problems of the reservation changeover happening not much further before, am I the only one starting to wonder if this is going to have long-term consequences on US's business?

I know devout Southwest loathers who are now talking about booking on SWA in Philly whenever possible, who tell me of full happy flights of SWA leaving Philly while US Airways had just lines. It sounded like a complete and total nightmare -- even worse than the experiences of colleagues of mine who were stuck in NYC for an extra day.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 8:51 pm

US Airways VP on NBC 10

Just saw a live interview this afternoon on NBC 10 in Philly with a young woman, a "senior v.p.' based in Tempe. She said their 'meteorologists' told them PHL would get snow, not freezing rain and sleet last Friday. This, after every single Philly weather person accurately predicted sleet for most of the day!

That's the reason she gave for not cancelling US flights, like UA did.

Meanwhile, a mountain of lost luggage grows at PHL.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by nbseer
Just saw a live interview this afternoon on NBC 10 in Philly with a young woman, a "senior v.p.' based in Tempe. She said their 'meteorologists' told them PHL would get snow, not freezing rain and sleet last Friday. This, after every single Philly weather person accurately predicted sleet for most of the day!

US doesnt have meterologists...they have disgruntled dispatchers oh wait thats the Mesa SOC...my apologies
Old Mar 19, 2007, 8:56 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by GotAround
We don't need WN adding any more flights (well anywhere for that matter) but especially in PHL. The airport is already over-crowded as it is. the WN ramp-up was the icing on the cake.
So, US flying a couple of hundred express flights/day with the same seating capacity as LUV's 40 flights is not contributing to the overcrowding how?

Originally Posted by FrequentHopper
I cannot believe US would allow its crown jewel hub to descend to the chaos being seen right now. It's just shocking.
PHL, relative to other airports (and US hubs) has always been this bad. It's just that the bar for "bad" keeps sinking systemwide.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 9:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
So, US flying a couple of hundred express flights/day with the same seating capacity as LUV's 40 flights is not contributing to the overcrowding how?

PHL, relative to other airports (and US hubs) has always been this bad. It's just that the bar for "bad" keeps sinking systemwide.
I think its more like 100-110 LUV flights.

Secondly, everyone bashes Express flights but you have to remember that many of those provide essential air service to places that wouldn't have it otherwise (WN ain't gonna fly to ITH, SBY, ELM, etc.)

Don't get me wrong - I can't stand the New US. I'm a former CP who has headed elsewhere - AA to be exact and love it. And even though I now sit in coach all the time, I still prefer it. I'll hopefully make it to EXP by the end of the year.

What I will defend is the full network carrier airline. Everyone seems to jump on the WN, Jet Blue, etc. band wagon without realizing what they are giving up as a personal consumer (actual recognition for flying frequently, a FF prgm. which can take you somewhere beyond Albany, an FF pgrm. which allows you to spoil yourself in Business class on some of the world's top airlines, interline agreements, seat assignments which I don't care what you say you can't always check in 24 hrs in advance for the "A" group) and as a citizen (airlines that provide national service rather than cherry pick some profitable routes).
Old Mar 19, 2007, 9:59 pm

I think its more like 100-110 LUV flights.
67 departures, on Monday, anyway.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:04 pm

Programs: None
And I'd be surprised if even 10% of the 270+ Express flights a day @ PHL are EAS.

Jim
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:16 pm

Programs: USAir, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by nbseer

I had the same problem in DEN just before Christmas. With about 8" of snow on the ground, I was told (but did not confirm) that United cancelled all their flights for the day out of DEN before 10 am. USAir did not cancel any flights until much, much later (after 1 pm, as I recall, as I was sitting on an Avis bus after leaving my 4 wheel drive rental somewhere in a snowdrift on the Avis lot). This delay led to many more people like me driving out to an airport they later were unable to leave (thankfully, I managed to get one of the last rental cars out of the airport before they closed Pena Blvd.). Weather happens. The only thing the airlines can do is react appropriately. I know in DEN the USAir reaction to the weather was very slow, which compounded everyone's problems. Sounds like the whole thing all over again but to a much greater extent in PHL (and elsewhere). They probably didn't pay much attention to DEN because they have so few flights going in and out of there. Let's hope they learn from this fiasco.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:46 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by PHLflying

You boys in the FFocus group need to be taking stuff like this out to the sandcastle in Tempe. There are a lot of good intentions on this board...but the truth hurts...and this statement here should sting pretty hard. The events over the past month are exactly the reason why those Brown / Orange 737's are showing up everywhere you look. I like my CP benefits...but at the end of the day I have somewhere to be that pays my bills... At times like that I don't give a damn about F seats, glasses, how many times the snack basket goes around, and when will my next CP card show up in the mail.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:56 am

What I will defend is the full network carrier airline. Everyone seems to jump on the WN, Jet Blue, etc. band wagon without realizing what they are giving up as a personal consumer (actual recognition for flying frequently, a FF prgm. which can take you somewhere beyond Albany, an FF pgrm. which allows you to spoil yourself in Business class on some of the world's top airlines, interline agreements, seat assignments which I don't care what you say you can't always check in 24 hrs in advance for the "A" group) and as a citizen (airlines that provide national service rather than cherry pick some profitable routes).
Agreed. I will take a legacy over the others any day because unless the entire airport is shut down, I have a fairly good chance of making it to my destination. I have been interlined many times for personal and business trips. One time from CLT to SYR (via JFK) I was stranded on jetBlue for several hours. The direct US flight came and went without me because jetBlue doesn't interline and I didn't feel like trying to buy a last minute ticket.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:26 am

Enough Help

In today's Philadelphia Inquirer (Business Section, p.1) there is an article discussing the staffing levels over the last debacle. Written by Tom Belden, it includes some quotes from the PTB out west.

My favorite one is from Kirby, "The anecdotal feedback we're getting is good."
"I get far more positive e-mails and letters than I have in the past." He says that complaints have fallen in the last few months.

I guess that means perhaps he got two positive e-mails instead of none. Sounds like he has been taking spin-meister lessons. Or perhaps that's what helped him get the job.

Jane (Pfed up in Philly)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.