Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways holds 100s of passengers hostage for up to 8 hours

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by usa18dca
We can't blame the airlines...blame mother nature too!
Oh please - is this the first time it's ever snowed in the northeast?

The airlines continue to have these problems because they choose to operate at minimal staffing levels across the board. It's all about cost-saving. JetBlue's recent meltdown was (admittedly) due to the fact that they operate on a shoestring budget with as few staff as they can get away with.

Unfortunately, as the legacy carriers' domestic operations continue to degenerate into LCC clones, the problems just keep getting worse.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
They might get arrested, but certainly not convicted. You would be hard pressed to find 12 people to vote to convict in this situation.

You might even beat the civil suit from the airline to cover the cost of repacking the slide.
My prediction would be no conviction, beat the civil suit and a multimillion dollar settlement from US in a countersuit after 8 hours.

Five or six years ago we were waiting nearly an hour for someone at LGA to get a gate hooked up to our plane. It was about midnight or a bit after on a757 in from PIT (I took this flight once or twice a week back then). The pilot kept coming out and looking to see what was going on. After about an hour I said to the pilot, "what do you say we see if these emergency chutes work". He laughed and said, "lets give them 10 more minutes and Im with you". They got it fixed but I wondered if he meant it, he was pretty pissed off. I cant even imagine 8 hours.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by xfa617
Oh please - is this the first time it's ever snowed in the northeast?

The airlines continue to have these problems because they choose to operate at minimal staffing levels across the board. It's all about cost-saving. JetBlue's recent meltdown was (admittedly) due to the fact that they operate on a shoestring budget with as few staff as they can get away with.

Unfortunately, as the legacy carriers' domestic operations continue to degenerate into LCC clones, the problems just keep getting worse.
You win a cigar. This is spot on.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:32 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Bottom line is there is no reasonable excuse for this. Darned near every carrier's done it and the one common thread is government. We need to kick the government in the teeth and make the FAA change the rules that allow PAX to be free and still keep the plane in queue.

Government isn't the solution, it is the problem.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA, US, IB. Low man on the totem pole again.
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
I don't get why the people didn't just open the doors themselves and leave whether on the slide. What if someone had a panic attack or something. Whatever airline that does this, this is just ridiculous.
Although the solution you propose above is something that has crossed my mind from time to time, my solution might be to "experience" chest pain that radiates from my chest through to my right arm. Hey, they got to let you off for a "possible" heart attack, don't they? That being said, I might be fearful of a helpful pax/FA heading my direction with the paddles...
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by KevAZ
Bottom line is there is no reasonable excuse for this. Darned near every carrier's done it and the one common thread is government. We need to kick the government in the teeth and make the FAA change the rules that allow PAX to be free and still keep the plane in queue.

Government isn't the solution, it is the problem.
The one "silver lining" that may come from all of these incidents is that there will be effective FAA rules or legislation to protect passengers from these incidents. It is long overdue.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
The one "silver lining" that may come from all of these incidents is that there will be effective FAA rules or legislation to protect passengers from these incidents. It is long overdue.
Please save me from the FAA and especially any legislator. THEY are the reason this kind of crap happens. If an airport was run on business logic without stupid bureaucrats involved, we would have had amenable agreements to deal with irregular operations years ago.

The most intelligent legislator in Washington struggles to comprehend a thought from the dumbest person I have ever sacked.

I wholeheartedly support term limits for ALL federal legislators. Two 4 year terms for Congressmen, one 6 year term for Senators. Other than VP or President, they are forbidden from any future role as a federal representative. And a six year ban on all lobbying after their most recent representative role.

Government isn't the solution, it's the problem.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:12 pm

Just one last point - why in the heck are most if not all airports' security running at a rotten pace with temporary tables leading to scanners etc? If airports were run as a business, we would have had logistic reviews and restructuring of the entire security process with a permanent solution in place.

My team redesigned and implemented 200+ international air express depots in less than a year when we had new scanning requirements placed on us due to the Pan Am 103 Lockerbie terrorist bombing. A scanning requirement was dictated, but not physically how. And we weren't saddled with government goons doing the job of real workers.

Remember than when you are sliding your laptop bag across a plastic table and lifting, sliding and then lifting again to the scanner. Damned good government isn't it? US Feds: Give business the goal, monitor them but then get your fat, lazy arses the heck out of the way.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:13 pm

Please save me from the FAA and especially any legislator. THEY are the reason this kind of crap happens. If an airport was run on business logic without stupid bureaucrats involved, we would have had amenable agreements to deal with irregular operations years ago.

The most intelligent legislator in Washington struggles to comprehend a thought from the dumbest person I have ever sacked.

I wholeheartedly support term limits for ALL federal legislators. Two 4 year terms for Congressmen, one 6 year term for Senators. Other than VP or President, they are forbidden from any future role as a federal representative. And a six year ban on all lobbying after their most recent representative role.

Meaningless hyperbole.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:15 pm

Is this off topic rant a continuation from the other thread?

Just one last point - why in the heck are most if not all airports' security running at a rotten pace with temporary tables leading to scanners etc? If airports were run as a business, we would have had logistic reviews and restructuring of the entire security process with a permanent solution in place.

My team redesigned and implemented 200+ international air express depots in less than a year when we had new scanning requirements placed on us due to the Pan Am 103 Lockerbie terrorist bombing. A scanning requirement was dictated, but not physically how. And we weren't saddled with government goons doing the job of real workers.

Remember than when you are sliding your laptop bag across a plastic table and lifting, sliding and then lifting again to the scanner. Damned good government isn't it? US Feds: Give business the goal, monitor them but then get your fat, lazy arses the heck out of the way.
Good idea, put a real businessman in charge. Maybe Doug Parker?

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Meaningless hyperbole.
ditto. (not dittoheads)
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:41 pm

Well hell then, let's put a good government person in charge.

Some ideas:
  1. Kip Hawley (TSA)
  2. Mike Brown (formerly of FEMA)
  3. Donald Rumsfeld
  4. Alberto Gonzalas
  5. Dick Cheney
  6. Ted Kennedy
  7. John McCain

Yep government is chockful of real smart people.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:46 pm

Well hell then, let's put a good government person in charge.

Some ideas:
  1. Kip Hawley (TSA)
  2. Mike Brown (formerly of FEMA)
  3. Donald Rumsfeld
  4. Alberto Gonzalas
  5. Dick Cheney
  6. Ted Kennedy
  7. John McCain

Yep government is chockful of real smart people.
Two of whom are multimillionaire, former CEOs of private sector firms.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:06 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL

This post belongs in OMNI, not here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.