Wiki Posts
Search

Any problems in PHL Monday 3/5/2007?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2007, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Gold, Avis CHM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
Any problems in PHL Monday 3/5/2007?

I have the 3:40 PM flight today PHL>ORD. I was just wondering how things were going with the SHARES migration.

I normally try to be at PHL at least an hour early. Should I be shooting for 2 hours today? or 3?
Old Mar 5, 2007, 7:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Coming from Reading, maybe you should leave now especially with 422 rush hour traffic and the blue route!
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:14 am

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
Saw the news at noon on channel 6. That was their lead story. Lots of people missed flights. I would leave now. It looks like airport hell there.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:56 am

Programs: US AA
Unhappy

Originally Posted by photog72
Saw the news at noon on channel 6. That was their lead story. Lots of people missed flights. I would leave now. It looks like airport hell there.
From Channel 6's cover story:

US Airways officials said the problems were a byproduct of upgrading computers systems during the weekend.

"Our airport employees have been doing a terrific job of expediting the process here." Chris Sever of U.S. Airways said. "Our customers have been patient for the most part and we've certainly been appreciative of that. We're looking to get this problem fixed as soon as possible."

Why isn't US just honest and state it was due to the merging of reservation systems? ". . . byproduct of upgrading computer systems"? Come on!
Old Mar 5, 2007, 11:22 am

Philly.com is reporting four hour delays at check-in.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 11:26 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Exec
Flying out of ORF this morning, the awesome agent switched me to CLT. She told me it would add an extra 30 mins to my trip, but said there was much less chaos with delays and such...
Old Mar 5, 2007, 11:59 am
Original Poster

1:45 PM Update at PHL -not SO bad

I'm here at the B/C food court in PHL. I was concerned about the reported problems so I showed up 3 hours early.

The verdict? Problems yes, but not really as bad as they could be.

Fairly long lines the B/C teicket counters. Hard to say exactly, but I would estimate a 30-45 minute wait. The kiosks are still down and roped off. For a time there, the 1st class/Preferred line was as long as the regular check-in line.

It looks like there are more US staff here than usual, but there are still at least 10 stations not manned at the ticket counter. They moved the 1st class/Preferred line to the west end, where the HP flight check-in used to be. The last I looked, there were only 3 agents handling all of the preferred.

When they moved the line, a US rep was telling everyone that the line is for 1st class only. Several people asked if it was for preferred as well. Her answer was "I don't know." Ya gotta love the the highly trained and knowledgable staff here in PHL.

I avoided the line completely by checking in with the skycap. No lines at the skycaps at all.

Short lines at security. It looks like about 20% of the US flights are showing delays.

Now here's hoping my flight leaves on time.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 3:51 pm

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
Did your flight leave on time? Please do tell.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 4:27 pm

Looks like he arrived about an hour late.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/USA1565
Old Mar 5, 2007, 4:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond MR PLAT US Gold
I had travelled PHL to CLT 6.45 AM , i had web check in with no bar code and learned at another thread that should not be problem , so arrived at security as usual 6.00 AM and at the gate 6.15 AM. But we took off 7:30 and landed 9:00 at CLT.
Another story
My collegue who travelled with me in the same flight told me that she got a call from US last night to arrive 3 hours early so she got up at 4 reached airport around 5 AM

- Rbnaidu
Old Mar 5, 2007, 7:42 pm
jg3

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Choice PLT, UA Gold.
This AM on a PHL to BOS we were stuck on the tarmac for an hour and 45 minutes waiting for the "weights and loads". The capt came on the PA system and told us all to write a letter expressing our displeasure with the situation. As if that will get me anywhere....
Old Mar 5, 2007, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

I made it to Chicago. All in all, not so bad considering the problems some others have had.

The short version: We left PHL about 40 minutes late and arrived in ORD about an hour late.

The longer version:

I went to the gate about an hour before flight time. I was surprised to see 3 GAs at the desk. So I approached them to see if I could be placed on the upgrade list. Before I could even speak, the GA told me that they weren't ready and to come back later. Seemed a but testy.

When they finally were ready, I asked to be put on the u/g list. GA #1 asked GA #2 if he knew how to do that. He said "I don't know." GA#3 just says "I'm leaving." After screwing around with with the computer for about 5 minutes, GA #2 said "I'm just going to make a manual list." As he was starting to do that, GA #1 says "oooh, I think it's F5." Apparently F5 is the magic key. So, I get on the list with 2 F seats open.

I asked her how she liked SHARES. She said "I hate it."

As we were getting close to boarding time, GA #2 told #1 to "Do the first class now." That poor girl just stared at her screen with the most awful confused look. I actually felt sorry for her.

Finally, we are boarding, still no FC upgrades called (GA#1 still staring at screen). I asked GA#2 as i'm boarding if FC is full. He says "I don't know." "If we get a seat for you we'll come and get you." I take my seat in coach.

The plane boards quickly. Then we sit. And wait. No reason given, but I'd guess we were waiting for pax, as a few more trickled in.

About 30 mins later, they move 2 pax from coach up to FC. Not me. No biggie really, but I would be curious who they moved. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just random.

Of course when we landed in ORD, no gate was available. We had to sit in the penalty box for about 20 mins.

I was disappointed to see that the GAs were apparently not very well trained on the new system. It was mid afternoon the second day and they didn't know how to do something as simple as an upgrade list? Come on.

Makes you wonder what kind of training they actually received on SHARES. If any.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 8:42 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by Greg P.
Makes you wonder what kind of training they actually received on SHARES. If any.
I'm not sure if we've got any airport agents that participate here or not, and Warbo's experience in basically international res (Liverpool) may be different, so here's my understanding.

The airport folks received no training in native SHARES. What the did receive at some point in the last few months was 3 days of training on QIK over SHARES, which is a simplified interface to the underlying command structure - it uses pop-up windows instead of having to enter the true SHARES command strings.

Also for the last few months, the stations have had QIK over Sabre available, which somewhat mirrors QIK over SHARES and was developed by inhouse IT, so the agents could get used to QIK. Seems like most agents say that the differences between native Sabre and native SHARES caused some differences in the two versions of QIK, so the learning that occured from using QIK over Sabre wasn't completely transferrable Sunday morning.

Plus, of course, the natural tendancy during the "practice" period was to switch to the system they knew - native Sabre - when they had a problem with QIK over Sabre while working with customers, so I'm sure not as much was learned as potentially could have been if they'd just made the customer wait while figuring it out in QIK.

Jim
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:01 pm

Programs: US Air Gold, HHonors Diamond
I had no idea they were merging systems this weekend. An email would have been nice.
Got to F at 6:50 for an 8AM flight, 10 minutes earlier than I normally do. Was told the e-checkin kiosks were down, so I waited in line for an agent. 15 minutes go by and the line barely moves. I overhear an agent tell a passenger he missed the 45 minute cutoff for checked baggage, and even though his flight was delayed and he had been waiting in line for some time, they couldn't check his bag.
I see 2 kiosks that don't have the white screen of death, and realize that I'm not going to make the 45 minute cutoff if I keep waiting in line. So I jump ahead of ~10 people to one of those kiosks. It works, I check in with 10 minutes to spare. The agent who tags my bags tells me all their computers are screwed up, as if they had a virus. The people I jumped ahead of all started using the 2 working kiosks.
The security line was the longest I've seen for F, wrapped around both baggage carousels (though I usually fly out of B or C). Why is there no preferred line in F? Still made it through security in 15 minutes. My flight was delayed by about an hour, but at least my luggage made it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.