Wiki Posts
Search

$25 stand-by clarification needed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2007, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, LH FTL, BA
$25 stand-by clarification needed

After searching I didn't find the information I was looking for, so I have a few questions regarding an upcoming US trip:

1) Is it correct to assume, that it is almost impossible to not be charged the $25 when standing by at the gate for an earlier almost empty (same day) flight?

2) If I go for the confirmed seat, can I (a) be confirmed all the way through and (b) change my connecting point, i.e. XXX - PHL - YYY instead of XXX - CLT - YYY

3) One of the older threads mentioned something about not being able to stand by for flights operated by America West if originally ticketed on US and vv, is this still the case?

Thanks
David
Old Jan 30, 2007, 5:14 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Move-Up Program
The new US Airways* understands that travelers need flexibility in their schedule. That's why we allow you to "move up" to any earlier flight on the same day of your originally scheduled departure time at the airport (with the exception of flights to Hawaii and Europe). Please note: Day-of-departure changes may only be made at the airport and not through our Reservations centers.

If there is an open seat available on any earlier flight that departs on the same day as your originally scheduled departure, you may change to that flight and we will automatically confirm your reservation for $25 for flights within the 48 contiguous United States and $50 for flights to Latin America, the Caribbean, Canada and Alaska. This lower confirmation fee replaces the usual $100 change fee, plus any differences between your old fare and new fare, for non-refundable tickets.

If there is NOT an open seat available on an earlier flight that departs on the same day as your originally scheduled departure, you may stand by for that flight at no charge. Standing by at no charge is not permitted if we can confirm that there is an open seat available for that flight. Seats on completely booked flights may become available if passengers with confirmed reservations don't show up for the flight. Please note: Unlike a confirmed reservation, flying standby does not guarantee that you will get on the particular flight that you want and may involve waiting for two or more flights before a seat is available to you.

*Until such time that US Airways and America West are operating with one Reservations system, stand-by or move-up will only be permitted on the originally booked carrier. If your original flight is operated by America West, you will be able to stand-by or move-up on America West operated flights only and if your original booked flight is on US Airways, you will be able to stand-by or move-up on US Airways operated flights only. Please pardon our dust while we work on integrating our computer systems. We do apologize for this inconvenience while we become one airline.

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...s/default.aspx

1) As a CP, I have had the $25 waived on several occasions. So my guess is if you are CP or perhaps Plat, good chance. Gold or below, no chance.

2) not sure but I think yes you can change connections

3) Not unitl Sabre and Shares are merged. This is clearly spelled out on the website quote I provided.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
Ill have to disagree on the fact they dont waive the $25 change fee for anyone lower then PP. Im a GP and have yet to pay the $25 change fee on probably about 4 different times. Twice i did it at check in and asked if i could get on an earlier flight. Two other times it was too late to do it at check in, but i made it to the gate in time and they put me on.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, LH FTL, BA
Thanks for the replies.

One more question:

What happens on itineraries with both carriers, i.e. first leg HP, second leg US? Do I have to stick to this combination, can HP accomodate me if there are HP flights for the second leg or how does this work?

Thanks
David
Old Jan 30, 2007, 4:17 pm

Theoretically you should be able to fly on either HP or US....question is if the reservation system would be able to figure it out...
Old Jan 30, 2007, 4:52 pm

I've done it 4 times this year and have been charged the $25 every time as a CP. Both at the club and gate. I've asked if they can waive it as I'm a CP and some have tried but couldn't, others have simply said "no".

I did get a club agent to put it thru as a weather issue as weather was coming in bad that night and I was being proactive trying to get out earlier.

YMMV - good luck.... Hell, the PHL gate agent last week tried to charge me $100 change fee because she said the stand-by route had a connection. I went to the club and they did it (as usual) for $25.

regards,

Mike
Old Jan 30, 2007, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by stefg1007
Ill have to disagree on the fact they dont waive the $25 change fee for anyone lower then PP. Im a GP and have yet to pay the $25 change fee on probably about 4 different times. Twice i did it at check in and asked if i could get on an earlier flight. Two other times it was too late to do it at check in, but i made it to the gate in time and they put me on.
Well, you have been lucky. Most pax - even CP - are charged the standby fee.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by warbo
Well, you have been lucky. Most pax - even CP - are charged the standby fee.

I guess so! I even recall standing there with my credit card out, and still no fee. Bizarre. Not that im complaining!
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
I guess so! I even recall standing there with my credit card out, and still no fee. Bizarre. Not that im complaining!
Reason I thought non-CP are SOL - I and a colleague got on an earlier flight out of MHT. I had my CC out & ready to go but the agent said put it back in my pocket. My colleague was told to produce a CC for the $25 fee as he was only Gold.

This Sunday I am flying PHL-PHX. My 9:55 is sold out in F but the 7 AM has many F seats open. Will let you know if I get dinged for the $25. I have never paid it yet but I am guessing only got on an earlier flight maybe 3 times since the rule went into effect. So after Sunday I will either be 4/4 or 3/4 in beating the fee.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA
I generally book myself on a 7:45pm flight out of LGA but often when I get to the airport the 6:10 is still there. I've asked after boarding was about finished if there were still seats on the flight and gotten on with no fee. I don't know if I've gotten favors or if they can put it through because of delays (if the 6:10 is delayed, inevitably the 7:45 is also). Note, I've never asked before they started boarding.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 1:40 pm

Programs: US Silver
Does anyone know if "move up" is an option with an award ticket? My DD and I are flying back from the UK to PIT via PHL: she's on an award ticket, I am not. When I booked the award ticket the only available PHL-PHL flight (well unless I wanted to use 50 k miles one way) was at 8.30, which gives us around a 5 hour layover in PHL. If i could get seats on an earlier flight it would be worth $50 to me.

Jennifer
Old Feb 26, 2007, 2:03 pm

Programs: US-SP; HH-Diamond; Marriott-Plat; Hertz 5*; Avis First
CP Does Pay $25 Fee

The only time I was not asked to pay the $25 Stand-By fee as a CP was when a seat could not be confirmed at the ticket counter. I went to the gate in CLT and was placed on the stand-by list by the GA. Luckily, I was able to get on the flight that way, but all other times I was confirmed on an earlier flight by the ticket counter, they have asked for the CC.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 2:52 pm

Jen, The answer is YES.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 2:54 pm

Programs: US Silver
Thanks, Mama

Jennifer
Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:14 pm

I'm a PP and I got sticked w/ the $25 change every time so...nope...at least US needs some enhanced revenue and every time I have done a same day change it was to my benefit for a F seat I feel $25 for a confirmed F seat compared to being SOL on the originally booked flight is an attractive offer IMHO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.