Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

IAD to LAX Transcontinental Now US Airways / LUS Metal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD to LAX Transcontinental Now US Airways / LUS Metal

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ahiromu
Mid October (9-12) says operated by US Airways, early December (2-3) has no such US Air annotation. Something funny is going on here... or they made a mistake in not updating the whole thing yet.

I second the question about food in F. Planning on using this route to finish off a challenge.
There will be no more USAirways in December... the name/airline code go away in October when US switches to Sabre. While the flight will likely still be on an ex-US aircraft, and likely still an ex-US crew, it will, indeed, be operated by American.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
Looks like TPA-LAX is now also on US metal, A319. Is this a new route, or did LAA previously operate it? Only one flight per day/direction, but seems as though AA is building up a serious LUS A319 operation at LAX. Current routes that come to mind are LAX-RDU, LAX-PIT, LAX-IAD, LAX-CMH, LAX-BNA and now LAX-TPA (may be missing some others).

Other than TPA, haven't noticed any other Florida-LAX routes on US metal at the moment. Found this by a fluke when pricing out CLT-LAX flights later this month, and it was offered as a connection (same as BNA).
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
For LAX-IAD, try flying Alaska. You won't get F class, but I've always snagged a MCE (or whatever AS calls it) day of. Also, if there is F class available, you can upgrade for only $107.50 one way - a great deal for a long flight. I've also found AS has nicer planes, power ports, better food, and is often cheaper (in the $50-$75 range).

And of course you still get your miles. Just an idea.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Agreed, but Alaska's LAX flights are from DCA, not IAD!

Originally Posted by jlb3
For LAX-IAD, try flying Alaska. You won't get F class, but I've always snagged a MCE (or whatever AS calls it) day of. Also, if there is F class available, you can upgrade for only $107.50 one way - a great deal for a long flight. I've also found AS has nicer planes, power ports, better food, and is often cheaper (in the $50-$75 range).

Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:30 pm

Not to get the thread too off topic, but do flights on Alaska also earn EQPs, EQMs, or just redeemable miles?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:07 pm

D'oh! You're right. Well it's still an option if you want to go a bit further to DCA

Originally Posted by chix
Agreed, but Alaska's LAX flights are from DCA, not IAD!
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:08 pm

You get elite points and miles. Almost all my flights out west (PDX, LAX, SEA) are on Alaska and I've always gotten elite points - just ensure your AA number is on your reservation. Even works if you book through AS and not AA.

Originally Posted by ACA321
Not to get the thread too off topic, but do flights on Alaska also earn EQPs, EQMs, or just redeemable miles?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:29 pm

You get elite points and miles. Almost all my flights out west (PDX, LAX, SEA) are on Alaska and I've always gotten elite points - just ensure your AA number is on your reservation. Even works if you book through AS and not AA.
That's great, thanks for the info!
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.

AS flies LAX-DCA, not LAX-IAD. More importantly, so does AA*.

* Which is probably the reason why LAX-IAD service is being downgauged to 319s.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
IAD to LAX Transcontinental Now UsAirways Metal

Its not just a Parker thing, legacy AA was on its way to make its fleet more efficient. The MD80s couldn't fly the route, so the 738 was the smallest plane that could do it. As the AA ordered 319s were coming in, this is a prime route to be swapped out.

Now the choice is a US 319 with 12 first class seats or a AA 319 with 8 first class seats. there are still decent extra legroom seats on the US 319 (bulkhead and two exits) but the other other viable alternative is the AA setup due to the location of the exits.

I much rather fly the US Config. more F seats, gogo or bring your own suffices for IFE. I prefer seat width over seat pitch. others are built differently and have other preferences.

Most of the higher yielding flyers are flying via the DCA flights, and the IAD flyers are most likely already on UA. smaller plane to serve the market makes sense.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 11:25 pm
Suspended

In terms of power points, I've found the PMAA 737 ones don't work well with my MacAir plug -- it keeps pushing it out so I almost have to keep my leg against it.

I give the AA seats a slight edge, although I don't like the slide forward, however, there is more legroom in F.

The PMUS FAs are miles better than PMAA for the most part IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.