Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First experience in US First Class TCON yesterday

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by SDLFlyer
Am I missing something here? Almost every US operated flight I've been on lately has had Gogo streaming video with many free movies. For some reason it's not advertised by the FA's, but it's there if you are on an Airbus.
You are correct. But it doesn't work with IE 11 or the latest version of Chrome.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Seriously, is this 1999? If you have a long flight, bring your own entertainment.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by grahampros
The ideal combination to me would be AA equipment with US flight crews. Well noted deficiencies in no power and tight pitch on US F class, but i've generally been pleasantly surprised to find the flight crews superior on US ( all from the east side given my destinations).
Couldn't agree more
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Couldn't agree more
+1 here
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
+1 here
+2. My PDB rate on US is 100%, <50% on AA

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Yeah the downside of US F is that it's not that great. The upside is that it's pretty easy to get into. As an AA gold I'm up front probably 75% of the time on US flights.
Does AA and US clear upgrades / manage F seats differently? I feel that as someone who buys tickets often at the last minute (within the upgrade window) I am at a serious disadvantage when it comes to upgrades on US. AA often will keep 1-2 seats open for sale up to a few hours before the flight, whereas on US, EXPs and PLTs generally seem to have cleared (and filled the cabin) by the time I have bought my ticket. On the flip side, I was on a coach award a few weekends ago that included a US segment and got upgraded at the gate (F was practically empty).

Originally Posted by randidliyo
Also, maybe this has already been posted, but are the free snack and drinks for EXP now gone for those in coach? I didn't see it in the in-flight magazine like I had in months past.

randidliyo
Just flew US at the beginning of the week and got my free snack in coach--didn't even have to tell the FA I was EXP, she knew ^ On US, only the snack items are free, whereas on AA everything on the menu (including sandwiches and salads are free).
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
+1 here
Glad to see it wasn't just me who's noticed. After so many years of AA it was a pleasant surprise of getting regularly great crews on US. Started realizing how we've just gotten use to the mediocre when it comes to service. There are of course still great AA crew member but that's more the exception than the rule. No idea why, the US crew just seems to be a lot more focused and into it. Better training? I don't know but whatever it is i appreciate it.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Flew PHL-LAS and back in F last week. Pretty mediocre, I agree. On the red-eye on the way back got some warm nuts but I had to ask for a cookie. Westbound daytime it's 5.5 hours, so I just have an extra battery for my laptop. I thought I saw something about streaming video but I used internet instead.

What I think will be interesting is the lack of extra-legroom coach seats. AA has Main Cabin Extra, same as EC on DL and E+ on UA. US only has exit rows, and some of those don't even have extra legroom (like the A319's with only 2 seats with extra legroom). Currently US has unlimited upgrades while AA has MCE for elites. It will stink if US takes away unlimited upgrades and doesn't have some kind of Coach-plus product.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I've flown US tcon twice this year on CLTSFO on two separate TPAC award trips and they were definitely a mixed bag.

My other flight was on an older A321 and was the night flight (connecting to JL 1 at 1:35am) and that one as much better. Food was bad but the FAs were attentive and seats were legacy F seats which aren't bad for 5.5 hours of lounging and movie watching.

The second was in the morning on an A321 with the updated / new interior and the seats were atrocious. My back was killing me by the end of the flight - the curvature of the seat just did not line up with my back and worse despite being new the metal bar in the seat could already be felt. I had to use the blankets they provided to at least make it. Thankfully I was connecting to CX F so I was able to at least get onto a proper bed and seat for the TPAC.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by redtop43

What I think will be interesting is the lack of extra-legroom coach seats. AA has Main Cabin Extra, same as EC on DL and E+ on UA. US only has exit rows, and some of those don't even have extra legroom (like the A319's with only 2 seats with extra legroom). Currently US has unlimited upgrades while AA has MCE for elites. It will stink if US takes away unlimited upgrades and doesn't have some kind of Coach-plus product.
The US fleet will eventually get MCE, they just haven't got to it yet in the integration process. They are rather busy with a lot of other things right now.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by grahampros
The US fleet will eventually get MCE, they just haven't got to it yet in the integration process. They are rather busy with a lot of other things right now.
That's reading into it beyond what's been officially announced. Currently, only the LUS A319s have been publicly scheduled to receive MCE. No word yet on the A320/1 or the A332/3.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Long time EXP, I opted to try US metal A320s yesterday on PIT-CLT-DEN because the First Class fare was cheap. Yikes, now I know why the price was so cheap. Less pitch than AA metal, glaring lights from a galley that is essentially in the F cabin and no power. But the worst part of this trip was the painfully uncomfortable seat, made even worse by two hours of "who's on first series" of fuel-related delays on the ground in PIT.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:05 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Long distance flights on US are pretty grim. Wherever I have them and there is a schedule change I leverage that to get rebooked on AA planes.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:40 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Markie
Long distance flights on US are pretty grim. Wherever I have them and there is a schedule change I leverage that to get rebooked on AA planes.
This is what I hope for on my flights.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:53 am

Programs: AA EXP
I dunno guys, I'm not a US apologist, but I have to point out that the most uncomfortable ride I've had in F on either airline has been on the older AA 738s. Even on a shorter leg like CLT-DFW my back was killing me after only an hour. Never had this issue on the older US planes, although I do agree the newer A321 F seats are much harder than older Airbuses in the fleet. Kind of a mixed bag between older/newer equipment and different levels of service (PDBs, general surliness of FAs) on both airlines...to me there are no consistent hands-down winners.

Bottom line, I've experienced great and lousy service by both legacy crews, just as I've experienced better and worse aircraft within the same legacy fleets. No way to guarantee which one or which crew you'll get, luck of the draw.

EDIT: one thing I do prefer on LAA flights is the option to preorder my meal. However, like everything else about US/AA getting what I've preordered is also inconsistent. On my last DFW-CLT flight seated in the bulkhead, the FA apologetically informed me there was only one option left (service was back to front). As it turned out, it was what I had preordered anyway (beef salad). When I told him that, he just glanced down at his sheet with a confused look and said "oh, ok". What use is it preordering a meal when FAs don't bother checking their lists before starting service anyway?

Last edited by ACA321; Jul 21, 2015 at 5:00 am
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Hope this is the right picture. This was the pitch on an A319. I am only 5' 8"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.