Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How bad does one's grades have to be in culinary school ...

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2015, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
To get a job creating (throw away) meals for US Airways / AA ?

Just wondering b/c I'm on a West-East flight, and once again am blown away by the stellar creations of whomever is in charge of meals for this airline

- Shrimp pre-soaked in Cocktail sauce - yummy
- Chicken pre-frosted with some other BS sauce
- Pasta pre-fungus-ed w/ Mushrooms? ... 5-fork rating!

Did it ever occur to this airline, that they should just serve plain stuff - and let customers decide if they want to drench their food in BS?

lol, but 100% serious haha

... oh yeah, and for Breakfast, just serve some friggin' plain eggs - like how hard is that? lol

"For breakfast, we have a choice of a turpentine-infested olive omelet, or a mustard quiche ...."

Yeah, just give me a friggin' drink - thanks

Last edited by JDiver; May 15, 2015 at 7:53 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old May 14, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I guess you could always eat Taylor Gourmet before the flight.
Old May 14, 2015, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
haha right!
Old May 14, 2015, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
While I agree the food is not good, the challenges of creating thousands of meals all across the country, packaged up in trays, carts, trucks, loaders, etc., hours before being needed, and then having only the resources on an airplane flying at 30K feet to "cook" them, and being given a budget of about $9/person, is probably a bit more challenging than whipping up a meal in your kitchen with your $30 in groceries from Whole Foods and transporting it to your dinner table.
Old May 14, 2015, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
While I agree the food is not good, the challenges of creating thousands of meals all across the country, packaged up in trays, carts, trucks, loaders, etc., hours before being needed, and then having only the resources on an airplane flying at 30K feet to "cook" them, and being given a budget of about $9/person, is probably a bit more challenging than whipping up a meal in your kitchen with your $30 in groceries from Whole Foods and transporting it to your dinner table.
Whole Foods? - not that fancy here - Harris Teeter

... all of that said, plain friggin' eggs sounds pretty good yeah?
Old May 14, 2015, 8:56 pm
Suspended

The trouble is, there is no airline food anymore expect on medium-long haul international flights and medium-long haul domestic flights in first.
Old May 14, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Budget of $9 ?? I pay $900 bucks each way. They serve prison quality food and $9 bottles of wine. What do they do with the other $890?
Old May 14, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by rjburns
Budget of $9 ?? I pay $900 bucks each way. They serve prison quality food and $9 bottles of wine. What do they do with the other $890?
STEP 1: Sell $900 ticket and server $9 meal.
STEP 2: ?
STEP 3: PROFIT
Old May 15, 2015, 6:56 am

Are you saying there is an American Airlines version of the Underpants Gnomes running around stealing meals?
Old May 15, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
As the other poster said, there is a lot that goes into prepping the food plus they budget is not massive. Also, the other thing to keep in mind is limited space on the plane. If you keep everything separate, you need more storage space which is just not there on the plane. Plus the additional equipment adds more weight reducing fuel efficiency and such. There is more to it, than just leaving the sauces and such on the side.
Old May 18, 2015, 12:44 pm

If you soaked the dry, leathery Taylor hoagie rolls in some of the US Airways liquid fat entree sauce, they might end up sufficiently lubricated to gag down.

Way off-topic here, but Taylor might be one of the most overrated things in the den of overratedness that has been DC over the past 5 years. I can get 2 full hoagies from Wawa for the price of one Taylor sandwich and everything about the Wawa hoagies tastes better.
Old May 18, 2015, 2:26 pm

My firm has a fixation on that place right now.

I'm not going to disagree with you, but there isn't a Wawa that is too proximate to DCA (Largo might be the closest).
Old May 18, 2015, 2:42 pm

there isn't a Wawa that is too proximate to DCA (Largo might be the closest).
That's correct, sadly. Being a VA person, I find myself at the Gainesville location more often though. Makes for a great start to any trip out to the mountains, etc...

Actually, it's a good thing that there isn't a Wawa closer, because when I'm in places where they are prevalent I tend to find myself at them multiple times per day.
Old May 18, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by arlflyer
If you soaked the dry, leathery Taylor hoagie rolls in some of the US Airways liquid fat entree sauce, they might end up sufficiently lubricated to gag down.

Way off-topic here, but Taylor might be one of the most overrated things in the den of overratedness that has been DC over the past 5 years. I can get 2 full hoagies from Wawa for the price of one Taylor sandwich and everything about the Wawa hoagies tastes better.
A Wawa sandwich was part of my routine when I was traveling to RIC -- stop at Wawa, fuel up the car, and grab a sandwich for my flight.
Old May 19, 2015, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
A Wawa sandwich was part of my routine when I was traveling to RIC -- stop at Wawa, fuel up the car, and grab a sandwich for my flight.
Honestly AA/US should just contract out catering to them. Full hoagies are like $4.79 during Hoagiefest and the airline could probably negotiate a decent volume discount. Would be better than what they're currently offering by an order of magnitude, and probably cheaper too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.