Community
Wiki Posts
Search

exec plat...but cant upgrade early? (Codeshare upgrade issue)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
exec plat...but cant upgrade early? (Codeshare upgrade issue)

a travel agency booked a trip for me, and I had to call AA to put my freq flyer # in--they said no, the travel agent had to. called the travel agent, she said she couldnt. called back AA and she put it in, but because it was "booked thru american airlines" even though the flight is "operated by USAir, I cannot be part of the early upgrade procedure 4 days before because they didnt have that info at time of booking. Travel agent said they would have to void entire itinerary and start over--upgrade is not that important but I am surprised at what a cluster it still is.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
They've been pretty clear that code share upgrades are available at check in only, until there is one reservations system in late 2015.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Actually, codeshares and not being able to waitlist SWUs for US flights are the only hangups. The merger and alignment of benefits has gone very smoothly. But at least you can still get on the airport upgrade list for your codeshare flight.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Actually, codeshares and not being able to waitlist SWUs for US flights are the only hangups. The merger and alignment of benefits has gone very smoothly. But at least you can still get on the airport upgrade list for your codeshare flight.
+1

Don't give up hope for the UG clearing, OP. I have booked codesares twice (eight flights total), 2 were on 50 seaters, so 6 had F cabins. Of those 6, I was upgraded on 4, not too bad considering I couldn't upgrade until check-in.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by nlkm9
... but because it was "booked thru american airlines" even though the flight is "operated by USAir, I cannot be part of the early upgrade procedure 4 days before because they didnt have that info at time of booking.
The bolded portion is inaccurate, either representing a poorly trained agent or a misunderstood description from that agent.

You can't upgrade a AA/US codeshare until check-in. When you add your AA# (time of booking, a week later, T-24:01) is irrelevant.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
The bolded portion is inaccurate, either representing a poorly trained agent or a misunderstood description from that agent.

You can't upgrade a AA/US codeshare until check-in. When you add your AA# (time of booking, a week later, T-24:01) is irrelevant.
OK....I havent traveled since the merger and didnt understand the process.
so now I know its called a codeshare
Old May 1, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by nlkm9
Quote:

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt

OK....I havent traveled since the merger and didnt understand the process.
so now I know its called a codeshare
Best bet is to avoid code shares whenever possible. Since we are all one big happy AAdvantage family now you can book US operated flights on a 037 ticket and AA operated flights on a 001 ticket and you will be eligible for upgrades at your appropriate upgrade window. Booking mixed metal flights will leave you window eligible on some flights and t-24 OLCI eligible on others. True code shares leave you with the t-24 OLCI option only.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:57 am
Original Poster

the travel agency did this for me. I would have never thought as top tier in both systems that wouldnt be recognized, but 95% of the time I make my own arrangements anyway
Old May 3, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
If you actually an EXP you have received several emails over the last few months all stated that auto upgrades will not process on code shares. People like to blame the airline for their own stupidity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.