Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways never again! [rant]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Thanks for the responses.

Part of it was we had to travel on those days, use miles for part of it etc, mostly do to school schedule so we didn't have a lot of choices. The flight to London they got us on at the last minute was on US Air, flight was fine. We had a five hour layover in London so we took a train from Heathrow and had lunch in London rather than spend all of it in the horrid shopping mall that part of Heathrow has become so we tried to make the best of it. They did put us on British Air business class to Rome though. Here's the scary part - the manager who helped us out said at one point that if we couldn't get out that night to somewhere in Europe we'd be in the Philly Marriott for two days as there were no other seats. I think the lesson is not to travel internationally at spring break.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Prem Exec, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Glad it worked out for you! It's always unfortunate when things go sour but it appears they made it right. Business upgrade was a nice touch. Enjoy your trip.

Next time, you could make your own in flight entertainment for your family. Phones or tablets plus a travel router with a USB drive full of movies and music will always outdo airline offerings. Other than the cost of the movies/music, the router should only set you back $15.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Purim
All factors to be considered, along side price and your fear of European regional jets.
Who says it's my fear? Some people might not want to fly an RJ (this would apply in the USA too). Why assume what works for you has to work for everyone?

At its most basic level, there is much to be said for getting as close to your destination as possible.
So that means you take a nonstop into a European hub, and a nonstop back to a USA hub, then, right? Or does "destination" only count when it's outbound from the USA because America is horrible blah blah blah Europe rules?

I think your points are valid, but they aren't universally applicable (especially if you're redeeming miles in OW like the OP is, then there's a huge consideration of avoiding thousands of dollars in BA junk fees masquerading as YQ.)

Originally Posted by pinniped
How often do you travel and have two truly equal itineraries to choose from, one being a connection in the U.S. and one being a connection in Europe?

While I would agree that most European airports are a better place to get stranded than most U.S. airports, I suspect a very small percentage of total itineraries really have these two equal options to consider.
Exactly. And I'd take a number of USA airports over LHR, FRA or CDG as connection points. Let's see, connecting T3-T5 at LHR going AA/BA, or at MSP/DTW on DL? Not a particularly hard choice for me. Granted, sure, I'd probably try and minimize connections and difficulty myself, and I might end up connecting in Europe. But it's not the only consideration.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 29, 2015 at 4:24 pm
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
For me, since I am usually travelling on business, it is critical to get to my meeting in Europe, while on the return a delay is not as much of an inconvenience. And while I will not weigh in on America versus Europe generally, as to the airline lounges where you may be stuck, there is no comparison.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by clubted
For Spring Break we took our kids to Rome, every other year we try to do a city in Europe and this time it was Rome. We booked our tickets on American as I still had a lot of miles and used them for the kids tickets. Our flight ended up being on US Air, LAX to Philly with an hour and 45 minutes to make the redeye to Rome. First of all the plane stayed at the gate an extra 30 minutes with an electrical problem, OK, things happen. Then we waited on the tarmac another 20 minutes due to "weather delays" in Philly. Found out later no other planes were delayed. Finally airborne I discover this pretty new plane has no entertainment whatsoever, not even a dropdown screen. The FA's did the safety exits, etc standing in the aisle and yelling, 60's style. There wasn't even anything in the armrests. Unbelievable. It's the equivalent of ordering a car now with no A/C or radio. But it gets better. Now it's lunchtime, I'm starving having been up since 4AM to get to LAX on time. We're in the 16th row, just behind business and they ran out of lunches. Rows 16 through 40 or so didn't eat. The FA's didn't care and made no effort to placate anyone. I had potato chips.
We arrive in Philly and I'm naively still thinking we have a shot at getting on the Rome flight, when they can't fit the gate to the door, another 25 minutes. How many times did they do that that day, 30? We run through the terminal, the Rome plane left 5 minutes ago and they didn't hold it even though 66 passengers missed their flights. We've had this happen several times before and they've always held the plane, they make it up in the jet stream, but not US Air. The terminal manager took pity on us and took us out of the "customer service" line and finally got us on a redeye to London that night, she was actually helpful making me unsure she was a US Air employee. I still have lots of American miles, I'm afraid to use them.
OP:
if you said in your original post that you missed your flight to Europe but they put you on a different flight and upgraded your entire party to business, i think you'd have gotten far less sympathy. delays happen. sounds like they MORE than took care of getting you there.

And with your misconnect in PHL, look on the bright side: you likely got to eat a bite since you'd had nothing but potato chips on the flight in. WIN! Hope you saved room for the steak , salads, hot fudge sundaes and free booze that "customer service" got for you by upgrading you gratis.

"Never again!"
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:16 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
The silver lining? I got to sit three seats away from the greatest rock & roll star of all time, the man who essentially invented rock & roll . . . and I'm not sure anyone recognized him except me . . . either that or everyone was just oh-so-cool about the whole thing . . . or too young or unknowing . . . to share my star-struck awe that persists to this day.
Justin Bieber was flying J? Wow!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by aztimm
If you really want to get technical, "US Air," hasn't existed since 1997:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Us_air

Technically neither exist since its really America West

Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Now, Cestmoi123, be goode . . . .
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
OP:
if you said in your original post that you missed your flight to Europe but they put you on a different flight and upgraded your entire party to business, i think you'd have gotten far less sympathy. delays happen. sounds like they MORE than took care of getting you there.

And with your misconnect in PHL, look on the bright side: you likely got to eat a bite since you'd had nothing but potato chips on the flight in. WIN! Hope you saved room for the steak , salads, hot fudge sundaes and free booze that "customer service" got for you by upgrading you gratis.

"Never again!"
The upgrade was just on the LHR-FCO flight.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Now, Cestmoi123, be goode . . . .
Seriously, it sounds like a berry neat experience.
Old May 2, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by CDKing
Considering US Air will no longer exist by the end of this year, I guess you don't have to worry about flying them again
Honest question I've not been able to find the answer to. While US Airways won't exist, are these awful US 321s (there are over 100 of them), many of which are used on transcons, with zero entertainment options and not even seat-headrests going to continue to be in use and simply re-branded AA? Or does AA plan to reconfigure these dogs, perhaps with personal AVOD?
Old May 2, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rayikes
Next time, you could make your own in flight entertainment for your family. Phones or tablets plus a travel router with a USB drive full of movies and music will always outdo airline offerings. Other than the cost of the movies/music, the router should only set you back $15.
I really don't think it's legal to run your own wifi router on a plane.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
For the life of me, I'll never understand why folks intentionally book flights to Europe with a US connection. Soooo many things can go wrong. Book a flight with the connection in Europe. Especially from LAX where there are countless flights to European hubs per day. And as bonus, no collecting bags in Philly on the return....
Not all of us live in major markets with non-stops to Europe.
Old May 10, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Annerk
Not all of us live in major markets with non-stops to Europe.
No kidding. Despite SAT being technically an International airport, thanks to limited flights to Mexico, we have to fly to say DFW, ATL, or PHL to catch a non-stop flight to Europe. We're actually quite happy that on our trip to Italy next month we have just two flights to Venice (SAT>PHL>VCE) and not quite as good with three flights on the return from Athens (ATH>PHL>DFW>SAT).
Old May 10, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
Honest question I've not been able to find the answer to. While US Airways won't exist, are these awful US 321s (there are over 100 of them), many of which are used on transcons, with zero entertainment options and not even seat-headrests going to continue to be in use and simply re-branded AA? Or does AA plan to reconfigure these dogs, perhaps with personal AVOD?
I have no problem with BYO entertainment on planes. In fat I prefer to bring my iPad with a few movies on it over having the bulky boxes take up under seat storage and foot space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.