Wiki Posts
Search

US Flight Attendant training of elite status

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold

With the FF program fully integrated why haven't these FAs been trained with the AA merged elite levels? Every time I've flown Y on US its an argument getting the drink/snack. Showed her my EXP card and she told me the freebies are only for CP (which doesn't even exist anymore) or Emerald. I told her EXP is emerald and technically the old CP and she said it doesn't state Emerald on the card (which it doesn't - just has the oval color. Unfortunately the electronic BP doesn't have the OW designator either.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I agree they should be trained. Does the inflight magazine describe the elite status levels?

Update: It looks like the magazine does have the info. I found a link in a different thread & it states EXP's get free drinks/snack:
http://www.ink-live.com/emagazines/a...airways/#120/z

Thanks to jridge:
Originally Posted by jridge
Did you look at the map in the back of the American Way magazine? Can be downloaded as PDF. http://www.ink-live.com/emagazines/american-way

Last edited by ChicagoDave; Apr 24, 2015 at 12:34 pm
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:34 pm

US FAs are a special breed. On one flight, a woman boarded and claimed I'd stolen her seat (10C on an A321). An FA came over and asked to see my boarding pass. I pulled up a Passbook pass on my phone.

The FA asked, not with coy ignorance but with a sharp tongue: "So where on this does it show your seat number?"
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
With the FF program fully integrated why haven't these FAs been trained with the AA merged elite levels? Every time I've flown Y on US its an argument getting the drink/snack. Showed her my EXP card and she told me the freebies are only for CP (which doesn't even exist anymore) or Emerald. I told her EXP is emerald and technically the old CP and she said it doesn't state Emerald on the card (which it doesn't - just has the oval color. Unfortunately the electronic BP doesn't have the OW designator either.
There are all kinds of FA's! This is a YMMV situation. I flew US earlier this week and my upgrade did not clear. When doing drink service the FA came to the exit row asked the 2 people in my row what they wanted to drink and then turned to me and said "Mr. dukeman can I get you a cocktail and snack?" I was impressed not only to be offered, but to also to be called by name. That has never happened in Y in 10 years as a CP.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Once all the US FAs get their handhelds, then this won't be an issue.

But I can say I've had issues on AA flights with the delivery of the snack and drink especially when the FA doesn't have a working handheld or isn't using it.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
Once all the US FAs get their handhelds, then this won't be an issue.

But I can say I've had issues on AA flights with the delivery of the snack and drink especially when the FA doesn't have a working handheld or isn't using it.
I'm not bashing US - I've had exceptional service from the CP desk and the Gate agents. Just annoyed I had to pay for the drink I ordered instead of arguing.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:14 pm

We have our handhelds, but that info isn't loaded into it yet. I haven't flown with many that don't know that OWE is EXPLT but when I do I tell them it's one and the same. I'm so sorry you're still having issues. Hoping it all becomes common knowledge sooner than later!
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
I've noted on my last few flights that it states directly on the menu for that benefit. Right under the A La Carte menu is a little blurb that says all the people that get the snack. May want to pull that out if they argue. I've not run into any that don't know anymore.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat / OW Sapphire / Hyatt Diamond / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dukeman
There are all kinds of FA's! This is a YMMV situation. I flew US earlier this week and my upgrade did not clear. When doing drink service the FA came to the exit row asked the 2 people in my row what they wanted to drink and then turned to me and said "Mr. dukeman can I get you a cocktail and snack?" I was impressed not only to be offered, but to also to be called by name. That has never happened in Y in 10 years as a CP.
I completely agree. I am only Plat so upgrades have been few and far between lately. The last couple of flights I've been on I've been in the bulkhead with a couple of ExPlats and the FA were VERY conscious of them being there and did offer them a snack and a drink "on the house". I don't recall if they used their names, but they might have. I also noticed the lead FA in the F cabin had the AA style phone / tablet that lists people and she was actively looking up info on it during drink service, so it seems that some of the crews are on the ball.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:27 pm

All US f/A's have the new tablet, but noteworthy passengers aren't listed on them yet as they are on the AA f/a's tablets. Hopefully they will have that feature soon! In the meantime they have to rely on the final manifest.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:33 pm

It's Not Just FA That Need to Be Trained on Elite Status

I was flying out of ORD today and there was a problem with my reservation (mixed between AA/US). Directed to AA counter to handle it. First told as an elite I would have to pay for each of my two bags (forget that I have both AA and US credit cards in my profile). When questioned, the woman called over a supervisor who said I was Gold as far as AA was concerned and only got one bag free on AA as they were the originating airline even though US would allow two bags, even though boarding pass printed out AA Platinum. I finally showed them the website says as Platinum I get two bags, so they did an override so two bags flew free. Of course no priority tags. Come on this is a hub and the "trouble" desk. They should be trained and know better. This is not new stuff. They have to be trained not to make things up.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abeflyer
Of course no priority tags.
Like this ever matters! Haha. I haven't been on a flight in months where the Priority Bags were always out first. It's a random crapshoot. Why they advertise this as a benefit is beyond me.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:05 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
Like this ever matters! Haha. I haven't been on a flight in months where the Priority Bags were always out first. It's a random crapshoot. Why they advertise this as a benefit is beyond me.
I rarely check bags but have found that when I do they tend to come out pretty quickly. Checked golf clubs and a bag MIA-SJU and return last week and they came out fast on both ends, I was watching. And the bags that came out first on both ends all had Priority tags on them (I was watching that too). Even the clubs came out fast and on the regular belt at MIA, not in the oversize area, which was right next to claim area 22. I suppose YMMV but I've had decent success.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:57 am
Original Poster

It's got to be SAN and DFW then (most of airports I use). Because they never do.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMilzz
I completely agree. I am only Plat so upgrades have been few and far between lately.
Actually, ever since a few month or so ago I've been getting the auto-upgrade 3 days in advance for US flights. Practically 100%. I'm AA Plat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.