Wiki Posts
Search

Success in using SWU on US codeshare?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Success in using SWU on US codeshare?

Now that we are in out first week of merged programs, has anyone had any reports in using SWU on US codeshare flights? I'm AA EXP an booked a 001 ticket on US metal, US operated flight. CLT-LHR and would like to use SWU to upgrade. Per agent since it is a codeshare I can't do it. Any thoughts?
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Unfortunately, the T&Cs of those upgrades state that they don't apply to codeshares. Maybe you'd have luck trying to get it processed at the airport on the day of departure but chances of getting it in advance are slim to nil.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
For SWUs: no codeshares, no waitlists on US, and no standing by at the airport on US.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/arriving.jsp#faqs
Old Apr 6, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Spire, Hertz President Circle
So basically SWU's are useless on US operated flights? Seriously this can't be true???????

That's mean I would literally have to go out of my way to use since AA doesn't fly to my home airport.

Edit : Not thinking this to be true...since it says per AA website to call US Airways to use SWU on a US operated flight

Last edited by tt120; Apr 6, 2015 at 7:26 am
Old Apr 6, 2015, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tt120
So basically SWU's are useless on US operated flights? Seriously this can't be true???????:ma:

That's mean I would literally have to go out of my way to use since AA doesn't fly to my home airport.

Edit : Not thinking this to be true...since it says per AA website to call US Airways to use SWU on a US operated flight
That's my though exactly. When DM members became AA, they where given 500 and swu to use on AA, but we get nothing. Something is not right.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 8:26 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Correct. You can use them on US operated flights, but you cannot waitlist in advance. And I don't think the agents at the airports can do it (yet) either so you will just have to keep calling. Would be interesting to hear success/failure stories, as well as how well the former US CP agents (now EXP agents?) have been trained to process these SWU's from pmAA EXP members.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
So basically SWU's are useless on US operated flights? Seriously this can't be true???????

SWUs can be used on US prime flights if upgrade inventory is available at the time of request...just not waitlisted, at the airport, or on codeshares.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:51 am
Original Poster

So far HUCA does not work for me, 3 separate agents all said no. Currently on 80 minutes hold for US Reservation to ask them, 800 428 4322. That's a long wait, and there is no weather disruptions, luckily I have my Bluetooth earpiece.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*

They will before the end of the year most likely.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by arollins
So far HUCA does not work for me, 3 separate agents all said no. Currently on 80 minutes hold for US Reservation to ask them, 800 428 4322. That's a long wait, and there is no weather disruptions, luckily I have my Bluetooth earpiece.
You should be able to get to the top of the queue by calling the EXP desk and asking them to work with US agents or transfer you to a human being quickly.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
That's my though exactly. When DM members became AA, they where given 500 and swu to use on AA, but we get nothing. Something is not right.
Correct, you get nothing except UDU in advance with status priority on US/US flights instead of day-of-travel free for all. And SWU can be used on US/US flights, which wasn't the case two weeks ago. So, nothing.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis 1st, National Exec Elite
I'm very interested in seeing how this pans out. I'm in a similar conundrum as I'm flying SFO-CLT-LHR on American/US codeshare. I have been calling the exp desk since the most recent merger update to request an SWU.

For the domestic portion, they can not waitlist. It's day of departure or at check in (up to 24 hours in advanced) if the Seats are available. For LHR-CLT there's no option as of yet (not even day of departure!). I'll keep calling but would love to hear if anyone else is successful. Seems absurd that this wasn't rolled out at the same time as the US/US swu.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Now that we are in out first week of merged programs, has anyone had any reports in using SWU on US codeshare flights? I'm AA EXP an booked a 001 ticket on US metal, US operated flight. CLT-LHR and would like to use SWU to upgrade. Per agent since it is a codeshare I can't do it. Any thoughts?

Thoughts? ....
Book on 037 stock to use SWU on US /US flight. Or seen if flight is available as US/US if purchased on 001 ticket stock. It's been pretty clear that codeshares are out of bounds. Yes, that means searching both websites since not all US operated flights are available as US marketed flights from AA tool. But worth it if you want to use the SWU.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
It doesn't matter what the ticket is. You could have 001 ticket and US/US flight. It seems you chose AA/US flight. It was well publicized that AA/AA and US/US are fine regardless of ticket stock but AA/US and US/AA will be an issue. So all pmUS and pmAA flyers were warned ahead of time.

I told my TA that only book US/US or AA/AA, no codeshares.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iztok
It doesn't matter what the ticket is. You could have 001 ticket and US/US flight. It seems you chose AA/US flight. It was well publicized that AA/AA and US/US are fine regardless of ticket stock but AA/US and US/AA will be an issue. So all pmUS and pmAA flyers were warned ahead of time.

I told my TA that only book US/US or AA/AA, no codeshares.
I wonder how it is now that the single operating carrier has been approved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.