Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Success in using SWU on US codeshare?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by arollins
I wonder how it is now that the single operating carrier has been approved.
SOC means nothing - it is the reservation system driving this policy. So, codeshare-bad is status quo until the estimated 4Q merge of both systems.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Spire, Hertz President Circle
Just thought I would share my experience / success in using SWU's on US Airways flights this week.

All my flights were US flights however I booked on the AA website rather than US website so as to get both an AA record locator and a separate one for US. (saw this recommended on another thread)

Called EXP desk before I booked they said I could use on US flight but they need to be "PRIME" US flights. This means when booking on the AA website it can't be an American flight "Operated by US Airways". If you book flights that say this then its treated as a code share and no SWU goodness for you.

To find these flights on the AA website you will need to click the "refine your search" link and under carriers select ALL. The "PRIME" (as they call them) US flights will be on the bottom of the search. REMEMBER they can't say "operated by US Airways"

Once booked, I called EXP desk back to process SWU's (I had confirmed "C" availability via ExpertFlyer). It took them a little bit on the phone because I'm pretty sure they called someone at US Airways to process.

After 10 min or so both my brother and I and confirmed in Business to and from Dublin on the A330-200 out of CLT^^^^
Old Apr 16, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by tt120
So basically SWU's are useless on US operated flights? Seriously this can't be true???????

That's mean I would literally have to go out of my way to use since AA doesn't fly to my home airport.

Edit : Not thinking this to be true...since it says per AA website to call US Airways to use SWU on a US operated flight
They can be used if you book on US (037) ticket stock. Can't be used on code shares yet... that won't be available until later this year when everything is finally combined. Avoid code shares (I know that's not always possible) and you can use them on AA or US.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, SPG Plat, HH Gold
I'm getting mixed messages from the EXP Plat line and the old CP line is now bumping me to a call queue with a 2 hour wait, so I'm hoping somebody can help me confirm ...

The AA PLT line has told me 2x that AA SWUs cannot be used on "Operated by US Airways" flights.

I think they mean that if I book on AA.com and choose US flights they can't be used, but when I have asked 2x tonight, they say the only person who can confirm this question for me is US Airways.

- I booked PVD-PHL-LHR on uswairways.com
- They are US airways flights
- The itinerary says "Operated by US Airways" for all 4 flights
- The ticket number starts 037
- I want to apply AA SWUs to these flights

When I booked yesterday, I called AA first to confirm I could use SWUs and they told me, yes! And then I called US Airways and they told me, yes! The only caveat was that I needed to keep checking back since they couldn't auto upgrade or waitlist me.

When I called today to check to see if any upgrades were available, I couldn't get through to the CP line so I called AA. They told me based on the scenario above, I could not upgrade with SWUs since it was "operated by US Airways". When I said I didn't think that was true and wanted to talk to somebody who could clarify the policy, they told me that *only* US Airways could do so (and now I'm back to the 2 hour wait).

Can anybody out there reconfirm for me that I can use SWUs on US flights "operated by US Airways", and booked on US Airways? I see above that it has been done, but this merger is a bit of a moving target and with AA telling me NO, I would like to make sure. Thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
You can upgrade US metal flights with US flight numbers using SWUs. And you can upgrade AA metal flights with AA flight numbers using SWUs. For flights from Oct 7 and beyond, everything is an AA flight when US flight numbers and US 'metal' cease to exist.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
You can upgrade US metal flights with US flight numbers using SWUs. And you can upgrade AA metal flights with AA flight numbers using SWUs. For flights from Oct 7 and beyond, everything is an AA flight when US flight numbers and US 'metal' cease to exist.
This itinerary completes 10/3 so I'm happy that I don't have to straddle the 10/7 merge on top of it. My two hour wait with US is almost up so hopefully when I ask them to check for open upgrades with SWUs they won't be shocked and confused. Thanks for the quick response!
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Anyone had success on using SWUs on AA segments on a US itinerary?

I booked on the US website, and the segments show as AA flight numbers only -- does that mean it's AA-marketed/operated, or does booking on the US website automatically make those a codeshare too? Because the opposite still seems to be possible (booking US non-codeshare segments on the AA website, as also mentioned in an earlier post...).
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by SpeedRicer
Anyone had success on using SWUs on AA segments on a US itinerary?

I booked on the US website, and the segments show as AA flight numbers only -- does that mean it's AA-marketed/operated, or does booking on the US website automatically make those a codeshare too? Because the opposite still seems to be possible (booking US non-codeshare segments on the AA website, as also mentioned in an earlier post...).
What dates are you flying?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
What dates are you flying?
Flying today! (sorry for the delay in response)

Unfortunately, it looks like the AA segments booked on usairways.com appear as codeshares for SWU purposes, so it was a no-go for me. I suppose you can call US and have them book them as actual AA segments if needed. I ended up misconnecting at JFK just now, and I still couldn't apply an SWU to the rebooked flight on AA either...
Old Sep 26, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
I'm looking at flying in March 2016 - PHL to CDG ... AA.com doesn't show SWU option on the direct from PHL ... I'd rather not wait until mid-Nov to book this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.