Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bereavement rules

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Bereavement rules

I have a flight this Friday (return Sunday) and I am looking to change a flight's return date for bereavement purposes. I am trying to get ahold of customer service but the phone number does not work, and the canadian number said it wasn't within hours of operation. Do you know if US Airways would waive a change fee for bereavement purposes? I would hope they would considering I purchased a $800 last minute ticket for this past weekend aand another flight for $600 this upcoming weekend.

I have tried changing the return flight online, but it charges the change fee. Despite the flight being $100 cheaper than my original flight, to change the flight it is calculating it to be another $350. At this point, it would be cheaper to get a one way ticket on United. Do you think these guys will budge at all or should I just give United my business and purchase the one way ticket?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I am fairly certain that there is no leniency on ticket changes - even for bereavement reasons.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Any reason that I'm not thinking of to change the flight rather than no show and purchase a one way ticket?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

many (most?) airlines , including AA, do offer a waiver of fees in situation of a death of a close family member and normally is listed in fare rules as a specific exception

Looking at a US fare at random , cannot see a waiver listed , but would suggest it would be worth calling US and finding whether US will waive the change fee in this situation. You should still expect to pay any fare difference that may apply even if the change fee was waived

Worth calling before purchasing a new ticket elsewhere
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
My condolences on your loss.

Because of bad weather around the country, it may take a while to get through, but persevere and talk to someone about it. If you get to the right person, there is a decent chance they'll waive the change fee for you. If you happen to be preferred, there's even a better chance.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I ask AA once because a passanger had passed away, they put the miles back in my account, and ask me if I would like to move to FC,

It was a long time ago, but the lady was so, understanding,

A million miles ago. And their were no fees ever mentioned.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
US will typically refund the change fee with an explanation and a copy of the death certificate. They may charge a $50 admin fee instead of the $200 change fee.

My recommendation would be that as you are going to make the change anyway, do it, pay the change fee and then submit a request with the documentation after you are back.

Alternatively, just abandon the return and buy the cheap UA one-way.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Finally got through, well to be able to be on hold. It's been an hour. Not sure if itd be worthwhile to hang up and try again, or if I would lose my spot "in line".
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Lucky7dawg
Finally got through, well to be able to be on hold. It's been an hour. Not sure if itd be worthwhile to hang up and try again, or if I would lose my spot "in line".
Keep holding, or start again from the back of the queue.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Lucky7dawg
So did you hang on or hang up? If you stayed on, (and how long did you have to wait) what was the answer?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Unfortunately, though sometimes airlines allow cancelability for these kinds of issues, the old "bereavement" or "compassion" fares have largely been done away with in the U.S. Part of a long train of fares that no longer exist, such as "military standby", "senior discount" fares (which on AA entailed coupons that afforded very good discounted fares and in the 1990s still offered 10% off even international fares), and going back to the original fare discounts in the 1950s, "family fares". (Lady JDiver or I have used every one of these discounts at one time or another - :waving goodbye:.)

US Airways makes no mention at all of bereavement fares; Googling will take you to the Refunds, ticket changes and receipts page, and no mention is made of bereavement or compassion fares on the US Policies & special needs page.

Here's what's in our future:

American Airlines, Emergency And Bereavement Fares

American Airlines does not provide emergency or bereavement fares. We do offer customers flexible fare options when booking last minute travel for a variety of reasons.
USA Today, 27 Feb 2014: American Airlines drops bereavement fares

USA Today, 15 Apr 2014: Airlines move away from bereavement fares

Delta offers bereavement fares, but they just seem to offer greater flexibility for available fares. Link.

Today's "bereavement fares" (where they exist) at best tend to offer a discount from the lowest fully flexible fares - which may still cost more than the lowest available restricted, nonrefundable fares.

OP, I hope your successful. It's difficult enough to deal with the loss of a loved one without having to deal with an airline.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 6, 2015 at 11:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.