Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights that don't touch a hub

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Flights that don't touch a hub

US (and UA and DL) has moved almost entirely to a route network where every flight is to or from a hub -- PHL, CLT, DCA, LGA, PHX. But there are still a couple left flights left that don't start or end in a hub. I'm curious to know what they all are.

I can think of:
* PIT-BOS, PIT-BDL, PIT-STL, PIT-RDU
* BOS-BUF, BOS-SYR, BOS-ROC, BOS-MDT
* BOS to a bunch of seasonal Caribbean destinations

I'm not interested in AA routes currently operated by US (e.g., PIT-LAX).

Are there any others?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Executive Elite
This is an interesting question. It am not sure if it is a coincidence or not, but PIT and BOS are both former hubs. Perhaps these are leftovers from the hub days? I remember DL having some direct flight to non-hubs out of MCO a few years back. I always assumed they were leftovers from the days of the DL Express hub there.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by outwrdbound
This is an interesting question. It am not sure if it is a coincidence or not, but PIT and BOS are both former hubs. Perhaps these are leftovers from the hub days? I remember DL having some direct flight to non-hubs out of MCO a few years back. I always assumed they were leftovers from the days of the DL Express hub there.
I assume it's hub leftovers. The Pittsburgh and Boston areas probably have lots of old-time US loyalists (including me) who will still pick US above other airlines, all things being equal.

Last edited by flyallegheny; Feb 6, 2015 at 11:16 am Reason: grammar/spelling
Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE Morning Calm, AA Gold
The PIT flying is actually done at-risk by Trans States with 3 E145s. Those type of point-to-point routes are kept to help serve the needs of the local business community while keeping US Airways as the dominate airline in Pittsburgh even in the post-hub era. You can even still book connections through PIT on routes like BDL-STL and BDL-RDU.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
I tried to pull the data out of the Feb 2015 published timetables, and here are the mainline flights:

BOS CUN Flight US809
BOS MBJ Flight US1900
BOS PLS Flight US685
BOS PUJ Flight US801
CUN BOS Flight US809
MBJ BOS Flight US1900
PLS BOS Flight US685
PUJ BOS Flight US801

I assume all of these LAX flights are former AA:
CMH LAX Flight US681
LAX CMH Flight US682
LAX PIT Flight US726
LAX RDU Flight US699
PIT LAX Flight US727
RDU LAX Flight US699

For Express flights, here are the pairs I come up with:
BDL PIT
BOS BUF
BOS MDT
BOS PIT
BOS ROC
BOS SYR
BUF BOS
MDT BOS
PIT BDL
PIT BOS
PIT RDU
PIT STL
RDU PIT
ROC BOS
STL PIT
SYR BOS
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
When did PIT-LGA and BOS-RIC end??
Old Feb 6, 2015, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
When did PIT-LGA and BOS-RIC end??
PIT-LGA still exists. It's not listed above because LGA is a hub.

BOS-RIC ended within the past two years. There's intense competition on that route, for some reason. DL and JetBlue fly it non-stop, and JetBlue has mid-week specials these days for $39 one-way.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:17 pm
SK

Lightbulb

Checking out the schedule for BOS-SYR, I saw that starting March 29th the flights will be operated with the CRJ-200, instead of the Dash-8 that has been used on this route for a while (and other turboprops before, such as the Saab 340).
Originally Posted by flightrisk
BOS SYR
SYR BOS
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Maybe off-topic for this forum, but...

Interesting to compare to how other airlines do point-to-point flying.
  • United has some point-to-point legacy flights ex-CLE, but otherwise has very little, e.g., when it connects two nearby outstations, e.g., JVL-JMS
  • Delta does at a handful of midwestern and southern airports, e.g., ex-CMH, ex-RDU, ex-TPA, ex-IND, etc...and a lot ex-BOS, if you don't consider Boston to be a hub.
  • I'm not sure about pmAA, but it's minimal if not zero
  • For Southwest, depends how you define a hub, but there are at least a couple flights that don't touch a true hub, e.g, PIT-PBI, and probably some unusual routes from the Wright Amendment era, e.g., ex-MSY
  • JetBlue has at least a handful: several destinations ex-DCA, ex-TPA, ex-RSW, SFO-LAS, maybe others.
  • Frontier is, literally, all over the map
  • Spirit does at least some, e.g., BOS-ACY
  • Alaska appears to do a good deal, e.g, ex-BLI, ex-BOI, ex-HNL, etc.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:24 pm

LAX to XNA comes to mind here
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: Free Agent
FLL-PAP comes to mind for pmAA.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
LAX is an AA hub, so LAX-XNA doesn't count.

For AA, also add BOS-CDG, RDU-LHR...
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyallegheny
Maybe off-topic for this forum, but...

Interesting to compare to how other airlines do point-to-point flying.
  • United has some point-to-point legacy flights ex-CLE, but otherwise has very little, e.g., when it connects two nearby outstations, e.g., JVL-JMS
  • Delta does at a handful of midwestern and southern airports, e.g., ex-CMH, ex-RDU, ex-TPA, ex-IND, etc...and a lot ex-BOS, if you don't consider Boston to be a hub.
  • I'm not sure about pmAA, but it's minimal if not zero
  • For Southwest, depends how you define a hub, but there are at least a couple flights that don't touch a true hub, e.g, PIT-PBI, and probably some unusual routes from the Wright Amendment era, e.g., ex-MSY
  • JetBlue has at least a handful: several destinations ex-DCA, ex-TPA, ex-RSW, SFO-LAS, maybe others.
  • Frontier is, literally, all over the map
  • Spirit does at least some, e.g., BOS-ACY
  • Alaska appears to do a good deal, e.g, ex-BLI, ex-BOI, ex-HNL, etc.
WN is kind of unique in that they actually emphasize point to point flying (although some points have more flying than others, obviously). I'd put this in the "all over the map" category with F9.

B6 has a lot of routes that don't touch JFK/BOS/FLL/MCO/LGB, but since they've always had a heavy emphasis on "Northeast to Florida!" I'd only consider the true oddball routes to be ones like SFO-LAS (as you mentioned), PDX-ANC, SEA-ANC, and maybe a handful of others. IAD-OAK was an interesting one before they cut it.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SK
Checking out the schedule for BOS-SYR, I saw that starting March 29th the flights will be operated with the CRJ-200, instead of the Dash-8 that has been used on this route for a while (and other turboprops before, such as the Saab 340).
They switched to a CRJ-200, but now only have 2x daily flights, instead of 3x on key dates (Monday and Friday used to have 3x, I believe). The BOS-SYR afternoon flights were around 3pm, and 7:30pm, and now its only one flight around 6pm. Both my recently BOS-SYR flight afternoon flights have had all 50 seats taken. Makes sense when you take two 35-seat routes, and stuff them into a 50-seat plane.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
There's the AA seasonal BOS-CDG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.