Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Per the US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid.../upgrades.html

Upgrade notification
We send you an email the first time we try for an upgrade – no need to call. We'll continue to check for upgrades throughout the day and send follow up emails if we change your upgrade status – right up until 24 hours before your flight. If we're unable to upgrade your reservation up to 24 hours prior to departure, we'll process your upgrades when you check in online or at the airport (if they become available).

To be placed on the standby list choose the 'Add to standby list' link when you check in online. You'll only see the option to add yourself to the standby list if all passengers in your reservation are Preferred. If you're traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Please check your Dividend Miles account to make sure we have your current email address.

Preferred upgrade priority – advance travel dates
When you purchase a full fare (Y or B class) economy ticket, you are eligible for an instant upgrade to First Class. After your reservation is ticketed, we will automatically attempt to upgrade you around the clock until a seat becomes available. We prioritize full fare economy tickets over all other fares.

If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months. We begin processing upgrades for all discount fares at either 7, 4, 3 or 2 days prior to departure, depending on Preferred level.

If we are unable to confirm an upgrade during our automated process, we'll try again when you check in for your flight. If seats are not available when you check in online, you can choose to be placed on the standby list.

To be placed on the standby list select the 'Add to standby list' link when checking in online. All passengers in your reservation must have Preferred status to have this option displayed at check in. If you are traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Preferred upgrade priority – day of departure
•If we're unable to confirm an upgrade seat for you prior to departure, you may request an upgrade when you check in.
•Once check-in for a flight has begun, priority will be based upon Preferred level and then upon earliest check-in.
•Please advise the gate agent at the airport if you're traveling with a companion.

If no First Class seats are open when you check in at the airport, you'll have the option to be added to the standby list, but you must be the only person listed in your reservation.
If there are multiple Preferred members in one reservation, you must ask to have your reservation separated at the airport.
If you're traveling with a non-Preferred member, you will also need to have your reservation separated at the airport; however, your companion will no longer be eligible for a complimentary upgrade.

Companion upgrades
One non-Preferred traveling companion can upgrade when traveling on the same reservation as a Preferred member with a qualifying paid ticket. The companion will be upgraded at the same time as the Preferred member.

more info to add? click, "Edit Wikipost," and make the changes

Prior threads can be found here:
2014: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-merger/1538399-us-automatic-upgrades-elite-master-thread-2014-a-29.html
Older: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-merger/1128712-us-automatic-upgrades-elite-master-thread.html

New thread for AA program on US-operated flights:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-combined-airline-program/1675313-aa-upgrades-us-flights-new-program-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: US Air CP/HHonors/Marriott
Fair enough, but why does it matter?

I have one seat. If I or any elite with a paid ticket is upgraded, there is no lost seat on the plane.

What advantage does holding these seats (other than the chance to sell it, but if they are always held, why have preferred benefits?) have?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beergolftile
Fair enough, but why does it matter?

I have one seat. If I or any elite with a paid ticket is upgraded, there is no lost seat on the plane.

What advantage does holding these seats (other than the chance to sell it, but if they are always held, why have preferred benefits?) have?
So they can put a paid F passenger from a cancelled flight in it.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
So they can put a paid F passenger from a cancelled flight in it.
This
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
It is a glitch with the merging of systems. I spoke to the CP desk today (after being on hold almost 2 hours). US booking codes have changed to align with AA and I was told the US auto upgrade system isn't recognizing the new codes yet. It is hit or miss, though.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:25 pm

CLT/PHL-LAX routes for CPs

How are CPs doing with upgrades on these trans-con routes? I am flying them for the first time this month... with the first flight in about 2 week's time. I don't have any expectations and if the upgrade clears, that's great! Otherwise, I get what I paid for... so that's also fine.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
Originally Posted by brahms77
How are CPs doing with upgrades on these trans-con routes? I am flying them for the first time this month... with the first flight in about 2 week's time. I don't have any expectations and if the upgrade clears, that's great! Otherwise, I get what I paid for... so that's also fine.
Yesterday I received "upgrades not available" for my PHL-LAX flight coming up on Saturday. Seats are available but none in X bucket for upgrades. Last two times I flew PHL-LAX and LAX-PHL on a Saturday I was upgraded at T-7.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, Admirals Club, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond, National Emerald Executive
Just another quick data point. At T-3 got the "upgrades not available." Now at just about T-24 and expert flyer shows F8 A8 X0 and F8 A8 X0 for both of my segments tomorrow. I think I will be able to grab during OLCI at T-24.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by Railtester
Just another quick data point. At T-3 got the "upgrades not available." Now at just about T-24 and expert flyer shows F8 A8 X0 and F8 A8 X0 for both of my segments tomorrow. I think I will be able to grab during OLCI at T-24.
I have a hunch that is basically what the emails will continue to say for the rest of the airline's relatively short existence.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Here's an explanation of what's going on, and it isn't good. Basically, US is following the AA method of controlling upgrade inventory now that it's a separate inventory bucket.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
If it were only what was described in this article ...

But -- see VickiSoCal and others above -- since the full AA monte does not seem yet to have been implemented with respect to US flights, at T-24h all US elites become equal with respect to the OLCI free-for-all. Wonderful for Silvers, good for Golds, but not so good for CPs. This is making me less interested in booking extra flights with US. Who knows -- maybe they prefer that ... ?

If they hadn't just given me a couple of 1+1 CP upgrade certificates I wasn't expecting, I'd be frosted right now. But they did. So I'm barely exasperated.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: US-CP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by denCSA
Here's an explanation of what's going on, and it isn't good. Basically, US is following the AA method of controlling upgrade inventory now that it's a separate inventory bucket.
Excellent post, thanks for sharing. Where is what needs to change in my opinion: they need to protect higher status to get priority at T-24 or inside the check-in window until departure. Like now, any elite can grab any open F seat.

A CP could get stuck in coach while a silver member could rode up front just because he/she clicked faster or was lucky enough to check when a seat opened up.

We can't change the fact that US is holding back more seats, I'm ok with that - but not that any lower status can top a CP just because they click faster or grab the seat at the right time.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Admirals Club, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond, National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by cactus_flyer
Excellent post, thanks for sharing. Where is what needs to change in my opinion: they need to protect higher status to get priority at T-24 or inside the check-in window until departure. Like now, any elite can grab any open F seat.

A CP could get stuck in coach while a silver member could rode up front just because he/she clicked faster or was lucky enough to check when a seat opened up.

We can't change the fact that US is holding back more seats, I'm ok with that - but not that any lower status can top a CP just because they click faster or grab the seat at the right time.
Very much agree, despite probably being one of those guys that benefits from the current situation.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cactus_flyer

Once the full AA system is implemented that will happen. I think we are looking at a very limited window during the transition where it is screwed up.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
That blog exactly described my experience last week. US upgrade policy has been quite generous but not exactly fair once T-24 (or more correctly, check-in window) hits.

It has helped me as a Gold but also screws me since I am xPHL and anyone connecting to my flight can check-in before me at T-24 for their first segment and grab the PHL-XXX upgrade.

So, it looks like the way to optimize upgrades now is similar to optimizing boarding order at WN (before they had auto check-in for a fee): Check in the very instant you are eligible. Prefer longer layovers (when possible) to improve positioning for subsequent segments.

At this point I'm just happy to see F at all when I can, and I can usually check in exactly at T-24. I foresee a DL-like situation: top tier only up front, MCE for the rest. Us low/mid level elites had a good thing while it lasted.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: free agent
My situation tomorrow: PHL-PHX-PDX with Mrs AT (silver) on the same PNR. Not even a email. I'm still CP this year.

PHL-PHX is still at F2 A2 X0
PHX-PDX is F7 A7 X0

Any time in the past, would definitely have gotten at least the second leg upgraded by now - PHL-PHX is a bit of a crapshoot, but I've been lucky occasionally with 2 of us on the PNR.

Question then, is what do you think the best strategy is right now? Split? Hold tight? Check in ASAP? Given that *both* segments have A availability, does this mean that I may be able to grab seats at OLCI for both of us? The other wrinkle is that I want to check 3 bags each. Her ability to do that might go away if we split, right?

Will definitely post outcome of whatever happens. I can see my switch to AS coming sooner than I thought it would ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.