Wiki Posts
Search

Possibly stranded at PHL - help please!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Possibly stranded at PHL - help please!

Hi everyone from LHR - I am on the PHL flight connecting to SEA on US729. Great start here as I was upgraded to F but as expected things don't look too rosy at present on the other side of the pond.

I'm booked on US729 to Sea - and ever since booking have been unable to select a seat. The really lovely lady at F checkin looked at the loading at the flight is completely full and oversold.

What are my options at PHL? There is a later service that gets me in to SEA at midnight - that looks like the only option at present. Will US be proactive at sorting me out??

Thanks in advance and see you on the other side of the pond!!

Last edited by our_kid; Jan 3, 2015 at 6:09 am Reason: Typo!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
As this question relates primarily to the US flight, I'll move this over to the US forum.

OF
BA forum mod team
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
That flight departure is still 9 1/2 hours in the future. A lot can happen.

U.S. Department of Transportation rules come into play for oversales. US will ask for volunteers (for compensation) before bumping in a prescribed order.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If by some chance the flight is oversold at the time of departure (it can't be oversold now, only overbooked), US law requires US to seek volunteers first and then deny boarding according to a pre-established regime. Whether you hold a seat assignment or not is irrelevant. As a OW elite, it would be extraordinarily unlikely that you are involuntarily denied boarding even if there is an oversale and even if no passenger accepts a voluntary rebook (and associated compensation).

US will likely proactively rebook you while you are inflight if it appears that you will misconnect at PHL. But, many things change and inbound delays can be vastly reduced, outbound delays occur and all of that. Thus, what looks dismal now may not be dismal later.

Additionally, you should do a bit of research looking at alternative routings for PHL-SEA, including via SFO, PHX and ORD on US and AA. If what you are offered is not to your liking, you will likely be rebooked as you request, but harried agents on the ground will not spend any time doing research. Be armed with the flight #'s you want.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by our_kid
Hi everyone from LHR - I am on the PHL flight connecting to SEA on US729. Great start here as I was upgraded to F but as expected things don't look too rosy at present on the other side of the pond.

I'm booked on US729 to Sea - and ever since booking have been unable to select a seat. The really lovely lady at F checkin looked at the loading at the flight is completely full and oversold.

What are my options at PHL? There is a later service that gets me in to SEA at midnight - that looks like the only option at present. Will US be proactive at sorting me out??

Thanks in advance and see you on the other side of the pond!!
In addition to the later nonstop to SEA, US offers connecting flights via Phoenix (1955/414) that leave PHL at 7:30 PM and arrive in SEA at 1:52 AM Sunday. The nonstop is listed as sold out, but seats for the connection via Phoenix are still on sale.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: ABBA
I flew into PHL from man earlier, landed bang on time. Weather seems fine, just rain and drizzle and rain and low visibility and rain. Currently in town eating dinner.

I'm booked on us588 to LaX this evening, supposed to leave at 2045, but has been put back to 2130.

Google is suggesting 729 will arrive late into seatle - 2335. Does anyone know why us have the same number on dofferent flights operated by different planes?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - currently in the immigration line - I think I might well night stop!!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Thanks everyone - currently in the immigration line - I think I might well night stop!!
There's US agents at the bag recheck area. I'd definitely ask one of them if they can look up the flight you're assigned, and possibly offer alternates.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Google is suggesting 729 will arrive late into seatle - 2335. Does anyone know why us have the same number on dofferent flights operated by different planes?
This is very common, and all of the legacies do it. Direct flights look better on the computer screen, but the same size aircraft may not be ideal for all segments. More recently, the practice has also been used to help to conserve flight numbers, as mergers and codeshares have left individual airlines with more flights to fit within a limited numbering system. In addition to often having a change of gauge, direct flights now often - at least at AA/US - fly ridiculous routes that make no sense from an actual travel point of view, such as US581 PHL-SAN-PHL (direct PHL-PHL service... woohoo!) and US766 CLT-PHX-PHL (only 3400 extra miles!).

On a side note, it appears that the main reason 729 is arriving so late is due to a planned fuel stop in MSP... it's a tough week for the A320s!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You might make it. 729 is currently estimated to depart at 7:30 pm, still an hour away. No seat assignment doesn't mean you're the first to be bumped.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by t/be20/g
fly ridiculous routes that make no sense from an actual travel point of view, such as us581 phl-san-phl (direct phl-phl service... Woohoo!) and us766 clt-phx-phl (only 3400 extra miles!).
clt-dfw-phl-clt us737
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:12 pm

At least you weren't going back on the BA flight -- BA66 scheduled departure 1835 didn't leave until midnight. BA68 was over an hour late. I popped my head in to the F section of the BA lounge and it was heaving, and the gate itself had a very long queue for whatever reason.

My own US588 was 3 hours late taking off. Good luck tomorrow.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Well quick update - incredibly helpful US Agent gave me a gate pass - the 729 had gone tech and ended up departing over 2 hours late via Minneapolis to refuel. I was the last guy to get issued a boarding pass - in seat 1A

Having a fab time in SEA and home tomorrow. Been a good Tier Point run.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:10 pm

Well quick update - incredibly helpful US Agent gave me a gate pass - the 729 had gone tech and ended up departing over 2 hours late via Minneapolis to refuel. I was the last guy to get issued a boarding pass - in seat 1A

Having a fab time in SEA and home tomorrow. Been a good Tier Point run.
The run 'aint over until the flights credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.