Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by econometrics
I just flew DFW-LHR R/T and was credited back the $19 (x2) for both flights on my Barclay's card, so it will work for you, too.
Originally Posted by luv2swim
I have the monthly AA Wifi plan subscription (works on Gogo and Viasat) and received the credit when the monthly charge hit.
Just to piggyback on this, on 6-19 paid for domestic WiFi, was credit it back on the 6-21, Purchased coach meal on 6-24, was credited it on 6-26. I wonder how long this benefit will stay around before getting yanked.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:46 pm

deleted

Last edited by shimps1; Dec 1, 2019 at 1:04 pm
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by shimps1
I can't seem to find discussion on the subject, but I am sure it is on FT somewhere.

I just received the Aviator Red card, 60k bonus miles along with $99 companion cert after first purchase and paid AF. Can someone point to the rules/restrictions on how to use the cert?
If you have the certificate, the instructions are pretty clear and are printed on the front and back of it.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Thumbs down Ridiculous credit card operation

Barclays is the Most ridiculous credit card operation. I applied, they left a tel message with wrong tel# to call them. I searched and found correct tel number. They wanted additional docs to identify me. BUT can only be sent via US Mail. The agent said: "This dept has No email and No fax" - and I am abroad traveling. I told them to cancel application.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 2:22 pm

Trip Interruption/Cancellation coverage?

I just reviewed the trip interruption/cancellation coverage on my AA Aviator Red card in preparation for an upcoming trip. As nearly as I can tell, unlike a year ago, parents are no longer considered Immediate Family. If so, I am going to have to buy supplemental insurance for the first time. Sigh.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by 236Dakota

I’ve had the Silver for several years. Got the Business Red last June. I was just told via Secure Message that I will get 3k EQD on each for a total of $6,000.
would this work if I took out a new business red card ? I already got $3k from the personal silver

Or is it just a very limited window (ie first year business red Viator cardholders who got it before the announcement).
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
I just hit the $50,000 spend on the Silver Aviator after getting $3,000 EQD on the Business Aviator. Hopefully within a month I'll know if they follow through as promised with $3,000 EQD on the Silver.
MorganB likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by 236Dakota
I just hit the $50,000 spend on the Silver Aviator after getting $3,000 EQD on the Business Aviator. Hopefully within a month I'll know if they follow through as promised with $3,000 EQD on the Silver.
keep us posted
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
I spent for wifi on 7/3 and still no credit. how long does this normally take?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chitink
You put it on your Silver Card, correct? <Mine posted in 2 days
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by chitink
Took about a week for me.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, QF
This card worked great for me...I paid the $95 fee, made one purchase, tank of gas...and I got a Business class seat on QF from NRT to SYD for the 40k bonus....!
Right place at right time as I only needed the one way but still the ticket was like $2400 one way so...
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Uzzar
Just over 1 year Red card holder, the "upgrade your experience" link just appeared...so went ahead and upgraded to Silver for $199 annual fee. Quite frankly the main reason is because the $3k EQD benefit is going away on the red card, but stays on the silver (with 50k spend?). Also might be able to use the $99 companion benefit.
When you upgrade, can you continue using your red card and still get the silver benefits? Or did they send you a whole brand new card number?
You know how on Amex/citi if you upgrade, you can keep using your card but everything charged will be with the new benfitts etc...
\Just curious,
i can definitely get my 199 worth on that $25 daily credit but i have a flight tomorrow, wondering if i upgraded today and used my red card tomorrow will it kick in
get what I mean?
I know i have been able to do this with both citi and amex.
might be calling later to find out.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by miadukes
When you upgrade, can you continue using your red card and still get the silver benefits? Or did they send you a whole brand new card number?
You know how on Amex/citi if you upgrade, you can keep using your card but everything charged will be with the new benfitts etc...
\Just curious,
i can definitely get my 199 worth on that $25 daily credit but i have a flight tomorrow, wondering if i upgraded today and used my red card tomorrow will it kick in
get what I mean?
I know i have been able to do this with both citi and amex.
might be calling later to find out.
Yes the card number stayed the exact same, including the expiration and 3-digit code. However, at least in my case the transition did not kick in until the next monthly statement end date.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Uzzar
Yes the card number stayed the exact same, including the expiration and 3-digit code. However, at least in my case the transition did not kick in until the next monthly statement end date.
Ok first part makes sense but I guess second part answers my questions, nothing charged tomorrow will count. I might phone over there and find out in the affirmative. I know, I should have done this last month as I just had flights the last two weekends lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.