Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Adopting AA inter-line baggage rules

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 1:31 am
Original Poster

About 2 years ago, US announced it would only interline baggage on same-itinerary tickets, even for ff partner airlines. AA policy is different-- they will check a bag onwards to another ticketed trip if it is to a oneworld carrier.

On a recent trip I had need to check the status of practice as i had US and then AA booked to LAX and thence onwards on QF (on one AA-issued ticket and one QF-issued ticket). The counter agent quoted existing US rules and said the help she had consulted by phone had informed her the same. At polite further request, a supervisor was summoned, and a call was placed specifically to the transition hotline that has been set up internally. They were able to confirm that onward checking to oneworld flights is permitted.

Bottom line, my bag was checked on to BNE and showed up there perfectly. If you find yourself in similar uncertain situations where you know the AA answer is/has been different, ask that the transition desk be consulted.
Old May 27, 2014, 4:25 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I believe this is OW rule.
Old May 27, 2014, 9:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
It's about time! I wonder how long it will take all the airport agents to learn this -- another 2 years?

I was just recently stung by this again. A US F flight to a CX F flight on two tickets. I'm CP. US agent refused to check my bag through to their partner, CX. It's so frustrating -- and simply ridiculous.

I'm glad to hear this is a oneworld requirement. I know it's what BA does, but I didn't realize it was a oneworld standard. That's great -- it clearly wasn't (or US just ignored it) with Star Alliance.
Old May 27, 2014, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is not published as a OW benefit. BA , AA and QF do have it listed as a policy that they will check bags on separate tickets to a OW flight, but would not rely on trying to claim it as a rule if any other OW carrier refuses
Old May 27, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA PRO

AA will go as far as protecting the passenger (not just the bags) in the event of IRROPS between two separate oneworld tickets. I have the URL written down at home and can post the link later on. A google search is easier to find it than a search of aa.com.

I haven't had to invoke it yet, but it has given much peace of mind when buying two separate (but connecting) tickets for whatever reason. In my opinion, a huge advantage of oneworld over Star. Not sure what sky team does.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
US agent refused to check my bag through to their partner, CX. It's so frustrating -- and simply ridiculous.
Blame the DOT and varying baggage charges for different carriers.

Jim
Old May 28, 2014, 12:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Blame the DOT and varying baggage charges for different carriers.
Perhaps, but US should be able to determine whether such baggage charges are even applicable for their alliance partners.

When you are a top tier elite on US, traveling first class on two oneworld carriers, it's pretty easy to deduce that baggage charges are not an issue.

BA does it, as does CX and JL in my personal oneworld experience so far. Sounds like AA also does it. So I'm pleased to hear that US will soon be doing it too.
Old May 28, 2014, 1:51 am

Perhaps, but US should be able to determine whether such baggage charges are even applicable for their alliance partners.

When you are a top tier elite on US, traveling first class on two oneworld carriers, it's pretty easy to deduce that baggage charges are not an issue..
I cannot see that that can be deduced.

For Example

With 2 separate tickets on US and BA where the BA flight is a hand baggage only fare, there is no baggage allowance at all regardless of status

With 2 separate tickets on US and CX in economy, the US allowance may be 3 pieces of 23Kg whilst the CX allowance would be 40Kg, so could be a 29 Kg excess to be collected
Old May 28, 2014, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by intub8r
AA will go as far as protecting the passenger (not just the bags) in the event of IRROPS between two separate oneworld tickets. I have the URL written down at home and can post the link later on. A google search is easier to find it than a search of aa.com. ...
Here is the link:

oneworld - Separate Tickets

There is mention of "the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement.".

I presume the reference to "Endorsement Waiver" relates to an agreement between oneworld airlines - maybe all *O; of course I could be incorrect.
Old May 28, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: None
The problem isn't for one-ticket itineraries although that was the reasoning for the DOT rule. The problem is when a passenger shows up and wants to check bags through to a destination that's on a separate ticket, i.e. US ticket CLT-LAX, AB airlines LAX-CAI, and wants to check bags CLT-CAI. US doesn't control what AB charges or when changes take place. The rule is that it collects the bag fee on it's ticket, not what some other carrier charges. So US could end up losing money. Hence the policy that US would only interline checked bags for single ticket itineraries.

It's the usual well-intended rule - not allowing post-purchase increases in bag fees being charged - having unintended consequences.

Jim
Old May 28, 2014, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by serfty
Here is the link:

oneworld - Separate Tickets

There is mention of "the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement.".

I presume the reference to "Endorsement Waiver" relates to an agreement between oneworld airlines - maybe all *O; of course I could be incorrect.
That's an AA rule, not a oneworld rule.
Old May 28, 2014, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wrp96
That's an AA rule, not a oneworld rule.
That is possible ... but ...

If so, who do AA have an "Endorsement Waiver Agreement" with?

Themselves? One other airline? Multiple airlines? ...

Last edited by serfty; May 28, 2014 at 5:07 pm
Old May 29, 2014, 3:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by intub8r
AA will go as far as protecting the passenger (not just the bags) in the event of IRROPS between two separate oneworld tickets. I have the URL written down at home and can post the link later on. A google search is easier to find it than a search of aa.com.

I haven't had to invoke it yet, but it has given much peace of mind when buying two separate (but connecting) tickets for whatever reason. In my opinion, a huge advantage of oneworld over Star. Not sure what sky team does.
Originally Posted by serfty
That is possible ... but ...

If so, who do AA have an "Endorsement Waiver Agreement" with?

Themselves? One other airline? Multiple airlines? ...
Judging by the wording of the policy, it only applies if AA is the delivery and/or the receiving carrier involved in the misconnection. For example, this policy does not apply to a separate ticket connection between CX and BA.
Old May 29, 2014, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seawolf
Judging by the wording of the policy, it only applies if AA is the delivery and/or the receiving carrier involved in the misconnection. For example, this policy does not apply to a separate ticket connection between CX and BA.
That should be "Judging by the wording of the policy, it applies if AA is ...". You cannot infer the agreement is definitely AA only and does not apply two other (in this case *O) carriers.

Of course, this policy may indeed be AA only as stated.

However, I have long suspected there is/are clauses in *O agreements between the member airlines in relation to connecting on separate tickets with the availability of check-through being mandatory. Of course I could be wrong. Also it's hard to show either way - any such agreement would be CiC.

Otherwise, my reasoning goes, why do other *O airlines such as QF have published policies of not permitting check-through on separate tickets except the interlined carrier is a *O member airline. I am thinking they would generally permit no such check-through at all if they could avoid it.

Last edited by serfty; May 29, 2014 at 4:33 pm
Old May 29, 2014, 4:46 pm

More importantly , it cannot be inferred that it is a OW policy and that AA's policy extrapolates out to all carriers

There is no published benefit for passengers that mentions through checking of luggage on separate itineraries

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.