Wiki Posts
Search

US Adopting AA inter-line baggage rules

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

There is no published benefit for passengers that mentions through checking of luggage on separate itineraries
There is certainly no general policy.

However, individual airlines do. (e.g. The AA policy as per this thread. Also, Qantas publish such a benefit permitting through check on separate tickets if the interlined carrier is a *O member airline.)
Old May 29, 2014, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by serfty
There is certainly no general policy.

However, individual airlines do. (e.g. The AA policy as per this thread. Also, Qantas publish such a benefit permitting through check on separate tickets if the interlined carrier is a *O member airline.)
AA does indeed have a policy, that is not in doubt ( as do QF and BA ) but it was asserted by another poster that OW has this as a rule, which is not something which is a published benefit for passengers

Btw, What is with the use of a * in abbreviation for OneWorld. It is logical to use "*" as abbreviation for Star ( as in *A ) but makes no sense that I can see for OneWorld
Old May 29, 2014, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
AA does indeed have a policy, that is not in doubt ( as do QF and BA ) but it was asserted by another poster that OW has this as a rule, which is not something which is a published benefit for passengers
I am postulating this is so given the evidence. My reasoning is that there would be something forcing AA, QF and BA to through-check luggage on separate tickets otherwise they would not do so. A reference to some "Endorsement Waiver Agreement" may also be indicative.

Btw, What is with the use of a * in abbreviation for OneWorld. It is logical to use "*" as abbreviation for Star ( as in *A ) but makes no sense that I can see for OneWorld
I believe it is used in GDS's to represent so. Some comment here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...l#post19461689
Old May 29, 2014, 7:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
That should be "Judging by the wording of the policy, it applies if AA is ...". You cannot infer the agreement is definitely AA only and does not apply two other (in this case *O) carriers.

Of course, this policy may indeed be AA only as stated.

However, I have long suspected there is/are clauses in *O agreements between the member airlines in relation to connecting on separate tickets with the availability of check-through being mandatory. Of course I could be wrong. Also it's hard to show either way - any such agreement would be CiC.

Otherwise, my reasoning goes, why do other *O airlines such as QF have published policies of not permitting check-through on separate tickets except the interlined carrier is a *O member airline. I am thinking they would generally permit no such check-through at all if they could avoid it.
Can there potentially be an alliance-wide policy protecting misconnect on separate tickets? Yes. It is published? I don't believe so.

What we do know is the policy on aa.com only applies if AA is one of the carriers involved in the connection. As the FT member who first brought to light of this policy to FT community, I'm concern that it has been misquoted on FT to imply that it is alliance-wide when there is no field reports supporting that. There are reports of same airline (eg CX-CX) protection on separate tickets, but not much, if any, involving non-AA OW to another non-AA OW on separate tickets.
Old May 30, 2014, 9:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I am postulating this is so given the evidence. My reasoning is that there would be something forcing AA, QF and BA to through-check luggage on separate tickets otherwise they would not do so. A reference to some "Endorsement Waiver Agreement" may also be indicative.

I believe it is used in GDS's to represent so. Some comment here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...l#post19461689
Maybe it's a function of the Joint Business Agreements?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 3:27 am
Original Poster

I am postulating this is so given the evidence. My reasoning is that there would be something forcing AA, QF and BA to through-check luggage on separate tickets otherwise they would not do so.
Also in two trips of mine, CX has had no issue interline checking to a separate ticket on AA. Even so, I have no illusions about marching up to some outlying partner station and demanding the same.

Hard to say what any of them "would" do-- Qantas did it quite widely until about three years ago when they restricted it to oneworld partners. I had had them interline check to a UA separate ticket flight once, before that change.

For me the good news is that somewhere inside the AA apparatus there is a transition desk that can be called by US front-line checkin staff and can give the correct answer. [The bad news is that in adding and removing the onward segment to get the baggage tagged and bp's printed, US somehow managed to trigger a cancel of the QF flight segment. Fortunately that got restored at LAX.]
Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:36 pm

Question on baggage policy interline US to QR on same ticket

I have an upcoming US flight from Canada connecting to QR in PHL all on one ticket. The first segment is in economy (single class aircraft) and the rest in business. Having some trouble understanding the DoT rules and the US agents i have talked to are just as confused.

Does my ticket allow me 3 bags 50 pounds each (US baggage policy) or 2 bags 72 pounds each (QR baggage policy)? Any recent experiences or thoughts on this?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by anthonyd
I have an upcoming US flight from Canada connecting to QR in PHL all on one ticket. The first segment is in economy (single class aircraft) and the rest in business. Having some trouble understanding the DoT rules and the US agents i have talked to are just as confused.

Does my ticket allow me 3 bags 50 pounds each (US baggage policy) or 2 bags 72 pounds each (QR baggage policy)? Any recent experiences or thoughts on this?
Do you have a stopover in the US or are you just connecting?

If just connecting and the bags are checked through, then QR is the Most Significant Carrier for the journey and so its allowances will apply the whole way

If the bags are being collected in the US and then checked in separately for the QR flight ( e.g. if there is a stopover or a connection time such that through checking is not permitted ) , then US's allowance will apply for Canada-USA and then QR's will apply from USA onwards

( The DOT rules do not apply in this case since the destination is not the USA )

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 2, 2015 at 5:46 pm
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
What will AA do, if there's an applicable fare that has no routing stored, but the follwoing routing indication:

ROUTING MPM: MPM TRVL PERMITTED

?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
What will AA do, if there's an applicable fare that has no routing stored, but the follwoing routing indication:

ROUTING MPM: MPM TRVL PERMITTED

?
What is the MPM and are there any restrictions on valid flights within the fare rules? there are (ime) few fares ( other than the YY fares ( which are ineligible use as AA award rules ) ) that have no airline restrictions

Is what you are looking to do, that which the governing carrier would permit on one of its paid fares?

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 2, 2015 at 6:01 pm
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:53 pm

Do you have a stopover in the US or are you just connecting?

If just connecting and the bags are checked through, then QR is the Most Significant Carrier for the journey and so its allowances will apply the whole way

If the bags are being collected in the US and then checked in separately for the QR flight ( e.g. if there is a stopover or a connection time such that through checking is not permitted ) , then US's allowance will apply for Canada-USA and then QR's will apply from USA onwards

( The DOT rules do not apply in this case since the destination is not the USA )
Thanks Dave. Just connecting so looks like its QR rules, which is what I was hoping for. Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.