Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Can't get through to US? Alternative numbers to call when call centers are jammed up

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Per tommyleo in post #10 (please feel free to edit/add updates):

Here's a hot tip that I've used successfully during weather problems for several airlines: call the airline's overseas call centers. Use Skype and it's dirt cheap.

Here are U.S.'s overseas numbers. I just called the U.K. number and the agent answered immediately after I was prompted to press "2". This should work with just about any US call center since there should be an option for English at all of them. Good luck.

Since the overseas call center are typically not open 24 hours, one should consider the local time at the those call centers before calling.

abein2672: The (US) Canada number is pure GOLD! 1-888-240-4770. Toll free in the US, routes to an English-speaking agent in Europe...
Print Wikipost

Can't get through to US? Alternative numbers to call when call centers are jammed up

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Here's a hot tip that I've used successfully during weather problems for several airlines: call the airline's overseas call centers. Use Skype and it's dirt cheap.

Here are U.S.'s overseas numbers.
I just called the U.K. number and the agent answered immediately after I was prompted to press "2". This should work with just about any US call center since there should be an option for English at all of them. Good luck.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond
Did That For About 20 Minutes At Noon (ET)

And finally got through. Just keep trying.

Originally Posted by mabramovich
I can't hit anything...the automated guy insists on me speaking..."Award travel" and then the rigmarole with telling him the cities. After that it says it will transfer me to an agent and then it drops..
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium
I'm still not able to get past the automated guy...as soon as it redirects me I get a busy signal or a message that basically says "We are too busy to talk to you, goodbye"...aaaaargh!
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:22 pm

I've been on hold for over an hour to this point...not ideal.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Tried to call UK just now, but the office is closed.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; AA Platinum;Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Hold times

Tried to call last week to book a United award using US Airways miles. Faled over a three day period so just broke down and transferred UR points to book from my United account. Total fiasco.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
My 5:50pm ISP -> DCA flight tomorrow was canceled today at 6:30pm

... called a few times and couldn't get through to a person, so had to go to Plan B - LIRR to NYC & Amtrak to DC tomorrow eve (must get home, b/c I'm IAD -> DKR -> JNB Thurs night - snow permitting)
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: WFBF
During the last CLT weather bonanza, I got disconnected once when trying to call the CP line. Tried again and got through to a rep almost immediately.

YMMV.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, US, SQ, TK, SPG, HH, CC, Avis, Hertz, Thrifty, Enterprise, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by tommyleo

Here are U.S.'s overseas numbers.
I just called the U.K. number and the agent answered immediately after I was prompted to press "2". This should work with just about any US call center since there should be an option for English at all of them. Good luck.
Yes, yes, and YES. I read this trick somewhere when I was Googling while on hold with United for an hour. Skyped London and was taken care of instantly. Worth the $5.00 in Skype charges.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Definitely a challenge getting through this morning -- every time I've tried to call to change a flight out of CLT tomorrow, I've been transferred to a busy signal instead of to an agent. It's not surprising they're busy considering the impending storm, though it would be nice if their call system could at least handle queuing the incoming call volume.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:48 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by twa777
Definitely a challenge getting through this morning -- every time I've tried to call to change a flight out of CLT tomorrow, I've been transferred to a busy signal instead of to an agent. It's not surprising they're busy considering the impending storm, though it would be nice if their call system could at least handle queuing the incoming call volume.
I went through that yesterday. Just keep trying is all I can say (or call the international call centers). I can't wait for the AA system, assuming they keep it. You call in & and if they're busy: "Sorry we're busy. Please type in your call back number. When it's your turn, we'll call you." Beats sitting on hold for over an hour. ^
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
I also keep getting drilled to a busy signal. Oy.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:13 am

Yes, for 24 hours now, I've gotten the same message before being disconnected

"We want to give you the best possible service... Please give us a call back later... Thanks for your understanding"

US is advising people on twitter to just keep calling back indefinitely and you may eventually get through.

This happened last time I tried to reach US during IRROPS on Jan 2. Both times, AA was busy too but offered the callback option.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by diamondeye
Yes, yes, and YES. I read this trick somewhere when I was Googling while on hold with United for an hour. Skyped London and was taken care of instantly. Worth the $5.00 in Skype charges.
Exactly. And it often costs far less than $5.00, depending on the country dialed.

I was stuck in Toronto in January, trying to go YYZ-PHL, during a weather meltdown. AC's phone line offered nothing but busy signals and the line at the airport was over 1000 people long with only four AC ticket agents. (No exaggeration.)

Since it was 3:00AM EST, I skyped AC's JAPAN office. Got rebooked in two minutes.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:25 am

I'm trying to get through today to fix a partner award booking. No dice. Now I'm on hold with Lufthansa, seeing if they'd be willing to fix it directly (ticketed by US, but LH operated segment disappeared).

EDIT: Nope, can't touch the ticket.

Last edited by PWMTrav; Feb 12, 2014 at 10:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.