Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Envoy vs LH 747-800 business class to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

I am trying to book a ticket to Europe and cannot make a decision between US Airways envoy business class and Lufthansa business class on 747-800. The LH costs $35 more than the US. Which one should I choose? It seems US has a good seat but poor service. Help please.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by jrey
I am trying to book a ticket to Europe and cannot make a decision between US Airways envoy business class and Lufthansa business class on 747-800. The LH costs $35 more than the US. Which one should I choose? It seems US has a good seat but poor service. Help please.
LH C on a 748 will be a lot better than US on an A330. For one, the 748 is a newer and much nicer plane than the A330.

No contest really. go with LH. Also US is leaving the Star Alliance after March 31st so you won't even get *A lounge access after that date and although you'll probably get *A miles, it remains to be seen if you'll still get *A benefits.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I am trying to book a ticket to Europe and cannot make a decision between US Airways envoy business class and Lufthansa business class on 747-800. ....
and this is in the UA forum why?? (has been moved)
Either US/AA or LH forum would yield better results.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Also US is leaving the Star Alliance after March 31st so you won't even get *A lounge access after that date and although you'll probably get *A miles, it remains to be seen if you'll still get *A benefits.
Flying in Envoy certainly provides lounge access.
I prefer US Envoy to LH C; never flown the 747-800, however.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Lufthansa. No contest.

(1) 748 has the new LH C seat. While the old angle-flat was uncomfortable, the new product is much better. US envoy Cirrus product is good but I think LH is better IMHO.

(2) 748 is considerably quieter than A330

(3) While the food in LH business is 'meh' (especially compared to F), it is as good if not better than US.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:46 am
Original Poster

It seems 747-8 is better than the envoy but is it worth 40 bucks? I don't need the lounge, btw.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If you are indecisive about spending $40 more or less on a transatlantic Business class ticket for considerably better flying experience, well, maybe you have answered your own question. (In either case, bon voyage.)

It seems 747-8 is better than the envoy but is it worth 40 bucks? I don't need the lounge, btw.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
If you are indecisive about spending $40 more or less on a transatlantic Business class ticket for considerably better flying experience, well, maybe you have answered your own question. (In either case, bon voyage.)

Quote:

I have been wanting to try 747-8 in C and got it but I heard and saw some photos of the envoy that the seat is good with hit or miss service on plane. I can switch between the two options with US being a little cheaper ann one less connection.

So I want to hear opinions from the experts.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I'd pick US for convenient schedule/less connections and perfectly adequate hard product.

IMO business class is about the hard product (realistically, a business class meal is going to max out at "pretty decent meal in a nice restaurant, but not life-changing"), and one thing I'm surprised others aren't mentioning is that depending on where you are seated in the 748, you or your seat opponent won't have unobstructed aisle access on LH- might have to crawl over someone/disturb them to get out (or be crawled over/disturbed). You are quite close to another person in a 2x2x2 config or 2x2 on a 748; US's 1-2-1 reverse herringbone layout is much more private.

Also, unless you are an airplane/"I collect new experiences and don't mind 6 connections just so I can fly THIS airplane" junkie, I don't see that a somewhat upgraded meal or wine on a TATL flight is worth spending time in airports, especially if you don't need a lounge, plus an extra $40. That $40 and extra time probably goes further at your destination.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I'd pick US for convenient schedule/less connections and perfectly adequate hard product.

IMO business class is about the hard product (realistically, a business class meal is going to max out at "pretty decent meal in a nice restaurant, but not life-changing"), and one thing I'm surprised others aren't mentioning is that depending on where you are seated in the 748, you or your seat opponent won't have unobstructed aisle access on LH- might have to crawl over someone/disturb them to get out (or be crawled over/disturbed). You are quite close to another person in a 2x2x2 config or 2x2 on a 748; US's 1-2-1 reverse herringbone layout is much more private.

Also, unless you are an airplane/"I collect new experiences and don't mind 6 connections just so I can fly THIS airplane" junkie, I don't see that a somewhat upgraded meal or wine on a TATL flight is worth spending time in airports, especially if you don't need a lounge, plus an extra $40. That $40 and extra time probably goes further at your destination.

Thank you! This is a good threshold. I just switched to the envoy to get the difference refunded. I don't need the lounge since I have priority pass. But now, instead of 2.5 hrs at CDG, I then have 5.5 hrs there. I don't think there is anything much I can do for that extra 3 hrs at the airport...., but that's ok. Thank you for your insight.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
I'd pick US for convenient schedule/less connections and perfectly adequate hard product. ...
I agree. I'd pick LH too if it were more convenient/less connections
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
I've found the food on US Envoy to be range between "embarrassingly horrible" to "meh" and the food on LH J to range between "meh" and "pretty good." I'd have taken LH, hands down, now that it has lay-flat seats as well.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
I'd pick US for convenient schedule/less connections....
Thank you! This is a good threshold. I just switched to the envoy to get the difference refunded. I don't need the lounge since I have priority pass. But now, instead of 2.5 hrs at CDG, I then have 5.5 hrs there. I don't think there is anything much I can do for that extra 3 hrs at the airport...., but that's ok. Thank you for your insight.
Kills that argument.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by planeluvr
Kills that argument.
So I think spending 3 hrs in the lounge in CDG and 3 hrs in the airplane is probably the same at this point
Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: MR & SPG Plat, BA Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver

Plane type aside, in terms of comfort I rate LH business class and US envoy equal. LH had better food and better service in business in my past experience so they have my vote.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.