Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2013, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
To check the upgrade list for your flight:

1. Go to the flight status page of the US mobile website

2. Click on the appropriate date and flight number

3. Click on, "upgrade list," on the top right.
Print Wikipost

Standby List and Upgrade List now on US Airways Mobile Website

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2013, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Gold, Hertz Five Star
Standby List and Upgrade List now on US Airways Mobile Website

Looks like the standby list and upgrade list are now available on the US Airways mobile website. Doesn't look like it's on the app yet, but if you navigate to "check flight status" on the mobile website, there are options to view the standby list and the upgrade list for each flight. ^ ^

Didn't see this on Thursday, so I'm assuming it's new. For what it's worth, also received a new "BeNotified" email reminder about my flight this afternoon (in addition to the standard "check in for your flight reminder" sent at approx. T-23 hours)
Old Oct 7, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Maybe it's just a day of departure thing? I can't see even a status for my trip next week. Already got the "no upgraded yet" mail

Better than nothing I suppose but US would get more Wow factor by releasing more features at once or really even one big new feature.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: US lowlife
Better than nothing for sure but it needs to be on the full website too. ^ on the lists though!

JC
Old Oct 7, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by dcpatti
Maybe it's just a day of departure thing? I can't see even a status for my trip next week.
It does appear to have it in advance for the standby list; the upgrade list is only for eligible passengers who are checked in and shows actual availability in the cabin in advance; it doesn't show pending preferred upgrades. For example, going here in any browser should bring up the options at the top of the page (this is for US 734 on Oct 9):

http://mobile.usairways.com/mt/fligh...n_jtt_redirect

You can get to the above via the normal web site and clicking on "Flight status" (http://mobile.usairways.com/). You can search dates further out by modifying the data parameter in the URL, for example, here's 734 on Oct 31:

http://mobile.usairways.com/mt/fligh...n_jtt_redirect

So this actually gives us insight into the actual loads on individual flights. For example, as of this writing US 734 on 31 Oct on its PHL-MAN segment has just 28 of 238 seats left on an A330-200 (this represents the coach cabin, and doesn't include the 20 Envoy seats). Here's what the KVS Tool has to say about that flight's available inventory:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.2.3/Diamond - Availability/FS/US]
Code:
PHL  Philadelphia Metro / Intl PA US = PHL TTN [KPHL]
MAN  Manchester Intl UK [EGCC]
THU  31 Oct 2013

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  --------------------------------------------------------
US         734     PHL   20:45     MAN   07:45     332      D9 Z1 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 N0 V0 W0 L0 S0 T0 G0 K0 U0 E0 R0 C9
Seat maps show 12 Envoy and 39 coach seats open, so presumably there are a bunch of folks without seat assignments at the moment. I don't know whether the 28 seats "open" includes a provision for overbooking, or just for actual seats unassigned but I suspect the former since this is referring to check ins. To determine Envoy availability, click the "Upgrade list" link for this flight where it currently shows 10 of 20 Envoy seats available, so 2 folks would seem to have unassigned seats.

Anyway, this is probably the closest we've seen to an ability to externally determine actual loads from US, and I predict it will become well used for determining upgrade chances here starting about ... now.

Originally Posted by jcooke
Better than nothing for sure but it needs to be on the full website too. ^ on the lists though!

JC
Agree. This is something they should've had years ago but I'll take it.

Since the lists use the format of the first 3 letters of the last name and the first initial like on UA and other carriers, I guess we now need our own "funny/unfortunate standby/upgrade screen abbreviations" thread here. I've personally seen ones like SUN/K, BAR/F, HU/J, and my favorite: DUM/B over the years. One of the old UA threads is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ions-here.html
Old Oct 7, 2013, 6:38 pm

This is great! As a lowly silver now I'll know when to get my hopes .

This won't impact ability to grab a F seat during OLCI, will it? I've never been able to anyways, but still wondering.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by lizs
This is great! As a lowly silver now I'll know when to get my hopes .

This won't impact ability to grab a F seat during OLCI, will it? I've never been able to anyways, but still wondering.
I don't think it changes anything other than providing better insight into the actual loads in each cabin, as well as easier visibility into the upgrade and standby lists without having to bother an agent.

Your ability to snag an upgrade at checkin - whether it be online or at the airport - is generally dependent on getting lucky that someone in the F cabin has moved to another flight or cancelled their booking. This seems more likely closer to departure rather than online as people may move up to an earlier flight, which can't be done online.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
Makes me wonder if there was a stable of upgrades they had planned prior to the merger announcement, and since the delay, they moved forward with rolling them out.

Or, was this because of the merger, and the desire to have fAA people take fUS flights who have had at the very least gate displays with the standby list for what seems like decades...
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat / OW Sapphire / Hyatt Diamond / Hilton Diamond
This is great. I've always liked how United shows these lists at the gate - helps set expectations and keep people in check (or give you a chance to jump on the phone to rebook if it's not looking good). Hope it comes to the app soon.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First
Does anyone else think it's a bad idea to put the seat assigned next to even a partial name ? It could be a potential privacy problem in my eyes. The partial name is fine but not which name goes to which seat.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by steve65341
Does anyone else think it's a bad idea to put the seat assigned next to even a partial name ? It could be a potential privacy problem in my eyes. The partial name is fine but not which name goes to which seat.
Continental / United have been doing it for over 6 years. American and Delta a little less I believe. No major issues have been reported from it. you would have to know a persons first initial / last name / flight number / day of flight to really gleen anything from it, and even then if you have all that information isn't privacy already breached?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
This is great! I am #1 on the upgrade list for tomorrow morning to SJU. This is one of the first times in 6 years or so my upgrade hasn't cleared on this flight.

Worse yet, they equipment changed to a 767 (bleh!)...
Old Oct 8, 2013, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

I can't speak for the other carrier's but I know this is more helpful than UA's, at least for the overall standby list. United just displays "Available" or "Not Available" for the main cabin and not the actual load information.

Maybe this is one step towards Gate Information Displays, if not just a primitive "seat map/standby list/upgrade list" display.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Platinum, Packer Owner
This looks great. I have an EWR-PHX flight tomorrow and have checked in on-line. First is full, and the site shows that I'm the only one on the upgrade list.

Something to check obsessively! ^
Old Oct 9, 2013, 5:48 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Such a shame they didn't use the UA format. Then we could all be on the lookout for PAR/D and KIR/S.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Looks like they have removed the ability to search flight load information far in advance. It returns an error:

The standby and upgrades lists are not available. Please check back closer to your departure time.
Makes sense. Seems like this data is better kept proprietary from a competition standpoint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.