Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Changes for LAX international arrivals / bus to TBIT for formalities (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
The current state of affairs for international arrivals at LAX is as under:

Due to on-going construction at Los Angeles International Airport, American’s operation will be affected over the course of the next year or more. For the foreseeable future, American’s international flight arrivals, with the exception of its Shanghai plane, will land and unload passengers at Terminal 4. The international passengers will then use nearby stairs to access the ramp where they will board busses and be transported to the new Federal Inspection Service facility at the new Thomas Bradley International Terminal. American’s Shanghai flight will arrive at TBIT. All of American’s international departures will remain at Terminal 4 for the near future.

American is working closely with Los Angeles Airport Authority officials to lessen the impact airport construction has on customers and airline employees. The construction projects are necessary to enhance our customer travel experience in the future. We appreciate everyone’s understanding.(Source; HT: gleff)
It is understood that PVG flights will be arriving directly to TBIT.
Print Wikipost

Changes for LAX international arrivals / bus to TBIT for formalities (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2013, 4:02 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by rjlon
As I understand it this is BA only, as an AA EXP apparently one is excluded, I presume the same for UA and DL flyers. Probably a result of the cosy relationship Between BA and UK Givernment. It is the British flag carrier in all but name. Virgin have recessed politically wih leader changes in government. Mr Branson does not after all fly to the EU which is the prime focus of the pro EU Prime Minister.
You can get a code. Look at the thread and email the person listed.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 8:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chanp
You can get a code. Look at the thread and email the person listed.
Thanks, I scanned on iphone and it appeared to say invitation only which was what AA told me. I will read again on PC. Thanks a lot for this.

As to prior poster, totally agree there is no place for party politics on the forum. My comments are the result of extreme frustration from UKBA and UKBF who I and my MP have been contacting for many years. There is always talk and no action. There is also an undertone that the British Government is more interested in inside EU arrangements than outside. So I guess commenting on one particular party could be seen as party political and I fear I may have erred there on another forum, it is however for me not about party politics but a complete disregard for signed agreements and undertakings by the British Government of all persuasions since the agreements were signed.

Two posts added later today. So applying on GOES Site. Seems remarkably welcoming of the US to offer this when the UK has removed IRIS and any help for US visitors to the UK.

Last edited by flyertalker54234; Sep 24, 2013 at 8:39 am Reason: Update
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
Originally Posted by LATV
I was also on AA 170 on 9/23 in F. The only complaints were we had to wait for the buses before we could board them. One was there but they made us wait for the second one before we could board. and then the walk from the bus drop off to the CBP area. The doors should be closer. It also would be nice if the GOES machines were on both sides of the hall not just on the south side.
That is true, there was, what I would consider, a minor wait for the second and third buses to get into position. Maybe a 2-3 minutes. The buses should be fully positioned and ready to accept passengers when the aircraft door is opened and passengers disembark.

The bus drop off at TBIT is about as far away from passport control as it can be and should certainly be closer.

MO
Old Sep 30, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
AA 136/137 had been my favorites. Sounds like 136 is still OK, but 137 now has major hassles with needing to lug bags down stairs and into and out of a bus. Not to mention back into a bus again if connecting to Eagle.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:37 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MachOne
I was on AA170 on 9/23. Here are my observations:

It was by far the best LAX CBP experience I've ever had. YMMV.

MO
Originally Posted by MachOne
The bus drop off at TBIT is about as far away from passport control as it can be and should certainly be closer.

MO
Thanks for the report. Given how dismal the GE experience has been at T4 (two machines last time we were there, and one broke), this does sound like an improvement.

As to the distance - we like this arrangement. We walk fast, so longer corridors distance us from the rest. It may take longer in the end, but it's psychological. I'd rather be walking for a bit longer and waiting in any sort of a line with other people. Sort of like my feelings about traffic

Cheers.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by brp

As to the distance - we like this arrangement. We walk fast, so longer corridors distance us from the rest. It may take longer in the end, but it's psychological. I'd rather be walking for a bit longer and waiting in any sort of a line with other people. Sort of like my feelings about traffic

Cheers.
While I would agree with you in theory (and like you I'm kind of viewing the walk with my roller to CBP as a little race)... most of the lines at CBP in TBIT aren't due to the others on your flight, they are due to CBP allowing visa-required travelers to use the two "US citizens" lines (maybe at the time there are no more citizens in the hall), and then arrives one's flight and as a US citizen the "dedicated" lines are not only full, but full with visa-requiring travelers with longer processing times.

Also, if one is in J/F, there's little need for the longer walk to pass other passengers, a shorter walk is sufficient (unless one is in the very last couple of rows of J, and for an odd flight number I'm with that), but still that's only a dozen or two people to pass.

If one is GE, then there's only a handful of others to pass (assuming multiple machines).
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Do you mean to say that arriving international passengers with GE pass through in T4, using the kiosk, with one CBP officer on duty? The other passengers schlepp to TBIT?

If so, I amend my earlier post.
Well, I came on on 137 a month or so ago with GE, and went to TBIT like all the others. So - at least from my single data point - no.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Do you mean to say that arriving international passengers with GE pass through in T4, using the kiosk, with one CBP officer on duty? The other passengers schlepp to TBIT?

If so, I amend my earlier post.
My bad, I missed on the "T4" in the question. The setup described was in TBIT. It was super fast though, with no checked luggage I was out of there in 10 mins and most of that was the walk to TBIT. My general point was that with GE and no luggage the TBIT experience was uniquely different to all the other poor souls going through there.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 7:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Some posts discussing AA137 that were in another thread have been moved here as this is the appropriate place for discussion of the new procedures for arriving flights like this one.

~Moderator
Old Oct 25, 2013, 4:17 am
Suspended

Any updates? I see AA are still listing gate 41. Interested any wait times for US and visitor not using GE. Is it as bad as ever or is the new bit quicker. Also keen to know what else arrives at TBit at same time as 137, many US airports there are three hours of nothing and then 5 or 6 international heavies arrive at same time.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:09 am

I flew in to LAX on AA 170 (or was it 169?) two weeks ago. Same as others are reporting - a bus at TBIT, a very long walk through TBIT, then like 3 minutes breezing through CBP with GE. A much worse experience than using the old "tunnel" passway from T4 to CBP@TBIT.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
I was on AA 182 PVG - LAX on Oct 5. We arrived at a gate in TBIT. The gate was connected by a jet bridge to the terminal so there was no need for buses. Walk to Customs and Immigration was under 2 mins and there wasn't much wait around 6pm. I had a connecting flight to JFK so after I cleared customs I dropped off my bag prior to leaving TBIT. The walk from TBIT to T4 was fairly short probably 1-2 mins. The whole process took less than 15 mins.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:29 am

Other than the bus (which from that last post might not always be required) and the walks to CBP and then TBIT>T4, the worse part of all this might be the (same as before) being thrown curbside and having to clear TSA again at T4, now that their putting kettles in the Pre line.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by uscjeff
I came in on BA LAX-LHR yesterday into the new CBP Hall at TBIT and I have to say I was impressed - it was really nice. I do have GE and like others said there were plenty of kiosks with nobody using them
+1 ^ GE has proven to be the best travel tool for frequent flyers.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by rjlon
Any updates? I see AA are still listing gate 41. Interested any wait times for US and visitor not using GE. Is it as bad as ever or is the new bit quicker. Also keen to know what else arrives at TBit at same time as 137, many US airports there are three hours of nothing and then 5 or 6 international heavies arrive at same time.
I'm also keenly interested in a non GE report on arrivals into LAX from LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.