Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Changes for LAX international arrivals / bus to TBIT for formalities (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
The current state of affairs for international arrivals at LAX is as under:

Due to on-going construction at Los Angeles International Airport, American’s operation will be affected over the course of the next year or more. For the foreseeable future, American’s international flight arrivals, with the exception of its Shanghai plane, will land and unload passengers at Terminal 4. The international passengers will then use nearby stairs to access the ramp where they will board busses and be transported to the new Federal Inspection Service facility at the new Thomas Bradley International Terminal. American’s Shanghai flight will arrive at TBIT. All of American’s international departures will remain at Terminal 4 for the near future.

American is working closely with Los Angeles Airport Authority officials to lessen the impact airport construction has on customers and airline employees. The construction projects are necessary to enhance our customer travel experience in the future. We appreciate everyone’s understanding.(Source; HT: gleff)
It is understood that PVG flights will be arriving directly to TBIT.
Print Wikipost

Changes for LAX international arrivals / bus to TBIT for formalities (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by danville 1K
Earlier this week while be rebooked at the AC I asked the agent about the situation with T4 CBP and when it would reopen. According to her the closure was due to lack of sufficient CBP personnel to staff it and AA would like to see it reopen.
I fear this is politics. Several times on 137 we have had to wait for 20 minutes or so on the plane while cbp turn up. it all started when the republican democrat spat on the budget started and funding was cut. I believe the cbp budget, the numbers of staff and the overtime payments have been cut. As a result things like T4 are suffering as I am sure they relied on good will and large amounts of flexibility to function. I have been told they informed AA the bill for CBP services would be going up too and that the accountants at AA baulked at that (which I can believe).
It seems a shame that as AA and BA align their offerings under the Joint Business Agreement, AA is adopted some of BA's more shabby practices, such the bussing they routinely use at LHR.

I do hope they make flights AA72/73 year round again so you can connect to Hawaii from London avoiding LAX. The DFW connections do not meet so you end up spending a night in DFW on the way out and all day at DFW on the way back. When it runs the connections through ORD in both directions are sweet. (snow in the winter is the only problem).

I am very disappointed that all round the world the few good points of international travel that work are being withdrawn. The Brits withdrew IRIS the Electronic Immigration system that worked for US citizens as well replacing it with a slower often broken Euro only thing and have not progressed on their agreement with US to work on Expedited Traveler Program and now the best CBP in US is being closed and one is off to one of the worst. I guess from now on it makes sense if one's destination is Southern California to fly via ORD or DFW and then one has the option of using SNA and ONT as well or maybe to Vegas if you like BA and high rolling...
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Originally Posted by canyonleo
I've often chosen DFW over LAX for NRT connections (even if DFW is an east-bound flight going to LAX for me) because (a) no remote terminal bus is required and (b) it's a MD80 (full size plane) to DFW but now it's CRJ-200s for me to LAX. ...and it's extra miles earned for me.
DFW is more direct for me, but LAX was worth more miles + 2 more segments. With SIN as my endpoint, it didn't matter in terms of time.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Thread title has been updated, and a Wikipost added with what I understand to be the current status quo.

Wikiposts are designed to be maintained by the community, so if anyone can put it better please feel free.

~Moderator
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
I came in on BA LAX-LHR yesterday into the new CBP Hall at TBIT and I have to say I was impressed - it was really nice. I do have GE and like others said there were plenty of kiosks with nobody using them
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The answer seems to be - connect and formalities at DFW on the LAX-bound portion - at least until they get this changed. Or, BA nonstop.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:41 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll try to avoid international arrivals into LAX for the moment. Taking the bus is a pain and slows everything down.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by canyonleo
I've used the bus from TBIT scenario before (maybe CX uses it for LAX-HKG? or was it a JL LAX-NRT even though all other times I've taken that flight it's right from TBIT), and it does kind of suck... but if the payoff is a TBIT-T4 airside connector then I'm OK with it.
The T4/TBIT airside connector is not due to open for another 18 months (March 2015).

LAX Terminal 4 - Tom Bradley Intl Terminal: secure connection?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 1:06 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by serfty
The T4/TBIT airside connector is not due to open for another 18 months (March 2015).

LAX Terminal 4 - Tom Bradley Intl Terminal: secure connection?
Right... well, still worth it (?).
Old Sep 24, 2013, 1:55 am

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
AA170 LAX TBIT West 9/23 Report

I was on AA170 on 9/23. Here are my observations:

1. Plane parked at Gate 41 at about 9:45 am.
2. Observed three LAX buses waiting for the flight
3. I was in 20B and was boarded to bus #1
4. The bus proceeded to a area on the north side of TB west. (5-7 minutes)
5. Fair amount of walking to passport control (5 minutes)
6. I am Global Entry. There were at least a dozen kiosks.
7. First kiosk would not read my passport. moved to another and no problems.
8. Another 5 minute walk to baggage carousel #10
9. Priority baggage was already on carousel #10.
10. An AA agent was monitoring passengers picking up bags with priority tags, checked my name on a printed list and handed me a Flagship lounge card key.
11. Another 3-4 minute walk to recheck bag.
11. I was out the front door of TB by 10:12am.

It was by far the best LAX CBP experience I've ever had. YMMV.

MO
Old Sep 24, 2013, 2:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by MachOne
A pleasant foil to the utter disaster that it sounds like it will be when I read it on paper... Thanks for the report! ^
Old Sep 24, 2013, 2:39 am
Suspended

Question

Originally Posted by MachOne
I was on AA170 on 9/23. Here are my observations:

1. Plane parked at Gate 41 at about 9:45 am.
2. Observed three LAX buses waiting for the flight
3. I was in 20B and was boarded to bus #1
4. The bus proceeded to a area on the north side of TB west. (5-7 minutes)
5. Fair amount of walking to passport control (5 minutes)
6. I am Global Entry. There were at least a dozen kiosks.
7. First kiosk would not read my passport. moved to another and no problems.
8. Another 5 minute walk to baggage carousel #10
9. Priority baggage was already on carousel #10.
10. An AA agent was monitoring passengers picking up bags with priority tags, checked my name on a printed list and handed me a Flagship lounge card key.
11. Another 3-4 minute walk to recheck bag.
11. I was out the front door of TB by 10:12am.

MO
As an unfortunate UK passport holder with a UK government that has not delivered on its agreement to work on the Expedited traveler program, I would be interested to know how long the lines were.
Thanks.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 2:39 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL
I was also on AA 170 on 9/23 in F. The only complaints were we had to wait for the buses before we could board them. One was there but they made us wait for the second one before we could board. and then the walk from the bus drop off to the CBP area. The doors should be closer. It also would be nice if the GOES machines were on both sides of the hall not just on the south side.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by rjlon
As an unfortunate UK passport holder with a UK government that has not delivered on its agreement to work on the Expedited traveler program, I would be interested to know how long the lines were.
Some UK citizens are being invited in to Global Entry; see this thread in the BAEC forum.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 3:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Microwave
Some UK citizens are being invited in to Global Entry; see this thread in the BAEC forum.
As I understand it this is BA only, as an AA EXP apparently one is excluded, I presume the same for UA and DL flyers. Probably a result of the cosy relationship Between BA and UK Givernment. It is the British flag carrier in all but name. Virgin have recessed politically wih leader changes in government. Mr Branson does not after all fly to the EU which is the prime focus of the pro EU Prime Minister.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by rjlon
As I understand it this is BA only, as an AA EXP apparently one is excluded, I presume the same for UA and DL flyers. Probably a result of the cosy relationship Between BA and UK Givernment. It is the British flag carrier in all but name. Virgin have recessed politically wih leader changes in government. Mr Branson does not after all fly to the EU which is the prime focus of the pro EU Prime Minister.
It is not BA only; I would suggest reviewing the thread to see how you can avail yourself.

And, of course, politics have no place in the AAdvantage forum, so we'll leave those comments alone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.