Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: What's the latest with "new" Rows 22-23 on the LUS A321?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LUS: What's the latest with "new" Rows 22-23 on the LUS A321?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:35 pm

Programs: None
The only way to put more rows/seats in and keep the same legroom is to use the newer thinline seats. They allow decreasing pitch while giving the same legroom. Still, whether US will only add the extra seats as part of a cabin refurb with thinline seats or just squeeze the older seats in is an open question.

Jim
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Here's a link to the photos a took.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, American Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
So what's the best seats in the new row 22 and 23, on a flight on Tuesday, currently stuck in a middle, and those rows just opened up.

Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EP, SPG Ambassador (lifetime plat)
22 and 23 are now like 9de / 10def, so 22 bc/de and 23af, if you grab 23 bcde youre stuck behind another row like 10de.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
Improvement?

Originally Posted by azoomee
22 and 23 are now like 9de / 10def, so 22 bc/de and 23af, if you grab 23 bcde youre stuck behind another row like 10de.
What's the consensus? Is this an improvement overall for the cabin?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by awaflyboy
Thanks for posting. Does 9e have the same movable armrest on the side next to the exit like new 22e? Somehow I remember it having the hard, fixed arm rests on both sides like 9d.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by awaflyboy
Thanks for the photos. I guess since these are real exit doors (as opposed to overwing), the seats in rows 22 and 23 have the same recline as other seats in the cabin?

Looks like 23A/F are the best since you have the window and direct access to the aisle?

Thanks.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
Thanks for the photos. I guess since these are real exit doors (as opposed to overwing), the seats in rows 22 and 23 have the same recline as other seats in the cabin?

Looks like 23A/F are the best since you have the window and direct access to the aisle?

Thanks.
So...to answer my own questions...

Was on a A321 manufactured in 2009 and it already has the new layout. FA said most of them are converted.

I think any of the 4 seats in row 22 is good - they recline and the DEF seats are NOT right outside the lav.

For 23, A and F are good. The other ones are just standard seats and no extra space. They all recline too.

Last edited by username; Mar 25, 2013 at 8:11 pm
Old May 1, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Was on a 321 from PHX-CLT yesterday that has this layout. Can confirm what others have said before.

22 B-C-D-E all have a lot of leg room in front of them (easily enough to walk in front of somebody sitting but carries the downside of people liking to hang out right in front of 22D waiting for the lav). Fixed arm rest between B/C and D/E.

23A and F still have no seat directly ahead due to the exit, though only 23F has underseat storage (under 21F...no such luxury in 23A since the jumpseat and lav ahead of you). Both A & F have fixed armrests with tray tables in them.

23 B-C-D-E are standard coach seats though they are indeed classified as exit rows. FA indicated everyone in 22 and 23 was "in the exit row". No extra leg room, in fact looked like it might even be a tiny bit less pitch than a normal seat. Hard to tell for sure. 23 B/C and D/E have moveable armrests and standard tray tables on the backs of the seats in 22.

I was in 23 F with nobody sitting next to me in D and found it to be as comfortable as F cabin from a seating perspective (maybe moreso because I had more freedom to stretch my legs however I wanted).

Future A321 trips I would personally rank the seats in order from best to worst: 23F, 22E, 22D, 23A, 22B, 22C with 23B-C-D-E no better than any other coach seat.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by gruss
Was on a 321 from PHX-CLT yesterday that has this layout. Can confirm what others have said before.

22 B-C-D-E all have a lot of leg room in front of them (easily enough to walk in front of somebody sitting but carries the downside of people liking to hang out right in front of 22D waiting for the lav). Fixed arm rest between B/C and D/E.

23A and F still have no seat directly ahead due to the exit, though only 23F has underseat storage (under 21F...no such luxury in 23A since the jumpseat and lav ahead of you). Both A & F have fixed armrests with tray tables in them.

23 B-C-D-E are standard coach seats though they are indeed classified as exit rows. FA indicated everyone in 22 and 23 was "in the exit row". No extra leg room, in fact looked like it might even be a tiny bit less pitch than a normal seat. Hard to tell for sure. 23 B/C and D/E have moveable armrests and standard tray tables on the backs of the seats in 22.

I was in 23 F with nobody sitting next to me in D and found it to be as comfortable as F cabin from a seating perspective (maybe moreso because I had more freedom to stretch my legs however I wanted).

Future A321 trips I would personally rank the seats in order from best to worst: 23F, 22E, 22D, 23A, 22B, 22C with 23B-C-D-E no better than any other coach seat.
Thanks, heard from FA that there is a lot less width on the 23 seats. Anything on width?
Old May 1, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by Warp
Thanks, heard from FA that there is a lot less width on the 23 seats. Anything on width?
I'm a big guy and found 23F comfortable enough to sit in for 4 hours without needing to get up and move around. The extra room in front of me made it easier to shift and reposition in the seat if I felt like it.

If I had someone sitting next to me in D it wouldn't have been as nice but only because I would have lost the armrest and elbow space...since the tray is in the armrest the seat is what it is regardless of whether someone is next to you but it didn't bother me. I actually tend to prefer seats with the tray in the armrest because it gives me something to lean my butt against if I want to lean to one side or the other.

Of course half my flights are CRJs and Dash 8's in and out of ALB so it doesn't take much for something to seem like a pretty nice seat to me.
Old May 1, 2013, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by gruss
I'm a big guy and found 23F comfortable enough to sit in for 4 hours without needing to get up and move around. The extra room in front of me made it easier to shift and reposition in the seat if I felt like it.

If I had someone sitting next to me in D it wouldn't have been as nice but only because I would have lost the armrest and elbow space...since the tray is in the armrest the seat is what it is regardless of whether someone is next to you but it didn't bother me. I actually tend to prefer seats with the tray in the armrest because it gives me something to lean my butt against if I want to lean to one side or the other.

Of course half my flights are CRJs and Dash 8's in and out of ALB so it doesn't take much for something to seem like a pretty nice seat to me.
Thanks, hope I never have to try them and I can stay up in Row 9 or First.
Old May 2, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First
In case anyone wants to see what the seatmap looks like when that row opens up New US A321 Seatmap
Old May 3, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
I usually fly on UA, but am flying a couple of these newly-configured planes on US this weekend and had a quick question: If I have my choice of similar seats in the forward (9/10) or aft (22/23) exit rows, any reason to choose a one in the back?
Old May 3, 2013, 9:43 am

Take the front ones, row 9's. Better flight, better choice of food if you are buying anything on board, but most importantly, you get off 10 minutes earlier (or at least it feels like 10 minutes)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.