Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yelled at over the speaker.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Yelled at over the speaker.

Took my daughter to the rear lav in an A319. As I've done many times before, I had her not lock the door, and I stood outside the door, cracking it open and peeking in from time to time every now and then to ensure things are going smoothly and, if necessary, to enter and assist. Because of the way the door opens, I am standing in the rear galley, because that's where one needs to stand to peek in, to avoid throwing the door wide open. Plus, there is a line, and if I stand elsewhere the person coming out of the other lav and the person waiting to get in will have me blocking their way.

Anyway, I'm standing there, getting ready for my next peek to make sure everything is ok. There is no FA in the rear galley. All of the sudden a booming voice comes over the speakers. "Sir! Please do not congregate in the galley." I hear this, but do not imagine is has anything to do with me, but instead assume that it has something to do with someone near the flight deck door. Also, the word "congregate" throws me, because I am only one person and thus not congregating with anyone.

Another booming announcement. "Sir. In the rear galley. You are not allowed to stand there. Please exit the galley." Naturally, every head turns, some with scowls wondering whether they have a security problem and need to come kick my butt. I meekly take a step forward and put up my hand in a gesture of surrender. I cannot even see the FA addressing me because of the bulkheads.

Later in the flight, I approach one of the FAs and ask whether using the PA to have me move a step out of the rear galley is really desirable or necessary. Perhaps I should not have been confrontational, but it was pretty low key confrontation. She essentially told me she had no idea what I was talking about and told me it wasn't her. I said, "surely you heard the booming announcement," and she said, "I was busy."

Anyway, I kind of thought this was a bit unprofessional, but whatever -- it's not an easy job. Still, is this a new rule? I've seen dudes standing in the rear galley for half of a flight -- doing deep knee bends or stretching, etc. Also, when there is a line for the two lavs, it's really the only place to go to get out of the way while you're waiting sometimes.

I understand complaining about frivolous things usually gets flamed pretty hard on FT, and I'm expecting the same. I'm a pretty sturdy guy and take travel annoyances in stride. Still, it was kind of humiliating, and I had to endure some weird looks from my fellow passengers.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
What are you seeking? Compensation? The FA could have asked you one-on-one, and they could have been politer, but we've all dealt with rude employees (and rude fellow passengers).
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
What are you seeking? Compensation? So one FA rubbed you the wrong way.
Yes, I want a million dollars.

I'm not seeking anything, other than posting a story that happened to me on USAirways on the most active travel site in the world, which happens to have a USAirways forum.

I also asked a question.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I sympathize. I don't know if it's an official rule or not...they do often make the announcement at the beginning of the flight to "not congregate in the aisle or lavs" (same time as they make the announcement that "for security reasons, please only use the lav in your class of service"), but regardless, yeah, this is something I've never really seen to be a problem. Lots of people walk back and wait for a lav to open up. I can maybe understand if this was the forward lav in First class, since it's right next to the cockpit, but I don't know why the rear would be a problem. No fun, sorry to hear about it.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: US Silver; WN A-List; Marriott Plat Premier
Funny, I used to fly WN a lot and moved my travel to US. One of the first things I noticed for in-flight experience differences is how US FA's are very protective of their galleys. I used to stand in the galley and chat with FA's regularly on WN. US of course has their curtain to protect their privacy while they sit in the back and read magazines.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
I think it's the FA jumping to a conclusion that you were standing there for no reason before calling you out over the PA system that was unnecessary.

And what are those of us seated in the front of the Y section supposed to do if we want to use a lav? Unless we get up, head back, and wait we're always going to be beaten to it by someone in a closer row that needs to use the lav.

And maybe $1 million is an excessive request for compensation, I'd make it more reasonable at 1,000,000 miles.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
I'm amazed that they didn't land the plane in Bangor and have you dragged out in handcuffs.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
I think it's the FA jumping to a conclusion that you were standing there for no reason
You know, I bet that's exactly what happened, now that you mentioned it.

Maybe public shaming isn't such a bad thing on airplanes. I'll tell you this -- I bet nobody put so much as a toe in the galley for the rest of the flight.

"You, in 10F, we can hear your cell phone conversation all the way up here in the front. She's cheating on you. Deal with it. Now turn off your freaking phone so we can taxi."

"Ladies and gentlemen behind 17, the reason you're not getting your drinks yet is because 17B didn't pay attention when I said we are cashless, and now he is holding up the entire service looking for his credit card to buy a can of pringles that, frankly, he doesn't need."

Actually, much of my complaint in this thread is meant to be tongue in cheek. But to be serious again, it actually was a bit disconcerting standing there and seeing dozens of heads turned toward me in the aisle, wondering if they had a 9/11 situation where they needed to kick some ***, when I’m just standing there wondering if my little girl needs a wipe.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
OT for the original topic, but regarding the hanging out in the galley issue.

On a recent flight (I think from RNO-PHX), I could not time my prayers right so I had no choice, but to say my afternoon prayers on the plane.

I asked the FA if I could borrow the galley for around 5 minutes so I could pray and not get in anyone's way. She was very sympathetic, but she said that if I hang out in the front galley that long (I was in F) she could get in trouble with the FAA. I said that I do not want to get anyone in trouble or break any rules so if its a problem I'll just pray in my seat (not ideal, but acceptable in a pinch). She says hold on a minute, she comes back and tells that she will have the Y FAs move the drink cart so that I can use the back galley, but in order not to bother them too much, I should hang out there until drink service is done. I ended up spending around 20 minutes in the back galley hanging out there alone (some of it reading a USAT article on the potential US/AA merger).

I am not sure when hanging out in the back galley is a problem, that is what they wanted me to do.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
On a recent flight I was traveling with an inexperienced coworker who I got bumped to first class. I was trying to stuff his too big bag into the overhead, the pilot was watching amused and got on the intercom, "Sir, thats clearly not going to fit" I thought it was hysterical. He eventually took a few things out and got the bag in. My coworker then got scolded for not putting his laptop bag in the the overhead by the FA as he was sitting in the bulkhead.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
This only happens on US airlines!! Embarrassing really and unprofessional, she or he could have come to you and asked you in a professional manner. That is why i avoid any American based airlines, all of the crew have no common courtesy, they are rude and they look nasty.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Stories like this really make me happy most of my travel occurs outside the U.S. U.S. flight attendants are really over the top and provide some of the worst service in the world. Although there are a few good ones.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
Stories like this really make me happy most of my travel occurs outside the U.S. U.S. flight attendants are really over the top and provide some of the worst service in the world. Although there are a few good ones.
^^^
Old Aug 1, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DCdeacon
I sympathize. I don't know if it's an official rule or not...they do often make the announcement at the beginning of the flight to "not congregate in the aisle or lavs" (same time as they make the announcement that "for security reasons, please only use the lav in your class of service"), but regardless, yeah, this is something I've never really seen to be a problem. Lots of people walk back and wait for a lav to open up. I can maybe understand if this was the forward lav in First class, since it's right next to the cockpit, but I don't know why the rear would be a problem. No fun, sorry to hear about it.
This is a tough one. On one hand the FA could have been more gentle in doing this. On the other hand, I've been next to the lav and there has been a line of 5/6 people when I'm trying to work or sleep.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbuntrock
This is a tough one. On one hand the FA could have been more gentle in doing this. On the other hand, I've been next to the lav and there has been a line of 5/6 people when I'm trying to work or sleep.
The FA had absolutely no problem with people lining up in the aisle. Indeed, before I got to the lav, we were four or five deep in the aisle waiting. (I agree it stinks for the people in the back rows.) My violation was crossing the line on the floor that separates the end of the aisle from the rear galley. Basically, the question was where I should stand while waiting for my daughter -- I could have stood at the front of the line with those waiting to use the lav, but that was problematic. I chose to walk forward and stand in the galley.

I chose wrong!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.