Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Announcement: USAirways Discontinues Interline Bag Check on Split Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Announcement: USAirways Discontinues Interline Bag Check on Split Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:33 pm

Check this, US Airways is not the only carrier to do this

http://www.hawaiianair.com/help/fees-id-1922#codeshare

Look at "other airlines" and you will find that HA is doing the same thing
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
VX refused to interline my bags on a split ticket with one of their interline partners last week
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by 1KHI
I was just hit with this policy at BNA. Flying BNA- CLT-EWR (US) and EWR-DEL (UA).

US airways counter agents at BNA refused to check bag to DEL, even after talking to a supervisor. He showed me the memo from corporate dated August 7, talking about no exceptions, except trivial like US to US tickets.

I bought ticket in early July, so I was not aware of this policy, otherwise I wouldn't have picked US.

Now, my flight to EWR is delayed, so I hope I actually have time to claim bag at EWR and run to the gate. Arghh.
Seems kinda of silly since they are both *A carriers. US, AC, and UA code share on flights. If your ticket has a US flight number even though it may not be their metal, will they still refuse to check the bag through.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:20 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
ARN-ZRH-MIA on LX, MIA-CLT on US: Swiss refused to interline on split tickets recently.

Both LX and US are Star and codeshare partners.

Not liking what the airlines are doing (or refusing to do)
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by kudzu
ARN-ZRH-MIA on LX, MIA-CLT on US: Swiss refused to interline on split tickets recently.

Both LX and US are Star and codeshare partners.

Not liking what the airlines are doing (or refusing to do)
Yeah, that reduces the benefits of an alliance. The whole point was to make travel easier. I can see not wanting to interline between say, DL and US, for example, but not interlining between US/UA/AC, etc is just dumb.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA GS MM, HHonors Silver, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, AA, DL
I will avoid US Airways at all costs

The policy stinks. The employees say it was forced by DOT which is a misinterpretation of the ruling. It caused me to reroute on my connecting UA flights and a $250 change fee because the change included an itinerary with an international flight. I will avoid US Airways if at all possible in the
future.

No other legacy carrier has the same policy to my knowledge.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Ecuacoflyer
The policy stinks. The employees say it was forced by DOT which is a misinterpretation of the ruling. It caused me to reroute on my connecting UA flights and a $250 change fee because the change included an itinerary with an international flight. I will avoid US Airways if at all possible in the
future.

No other legacy carrier has the same policy to my knowledge.
Delta and Alaska have the same policy...I'm sure everyone will fairly shortly.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:08 am

Will they still check bags through on two distinct US Airways PNRs?
Like SFO-CLT, CLT-GIG?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
I have in the past picked US to connect to my (separately ticketed) international itin. At times, these fares have not been cheap by itself, but make up only a fraction of the total cost.

I am star gold, so would not have to pay any bag fees in any case.

How many lucrative connecting pax does US want to lose?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: ALL MAJOR FFP AND FSP
Originally Posted by Mats
Will they still check bags through on two distinct US Airways PNRs?
Like SFO-CLT, CLT-GIG?
would like to hear some experiences on this too. anyone?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: US Silver, OW Ruby
Not quite sure about two distinct US PNR's, however, at least in the case of gate-checking bags (i.e. if the overhead bins are too full and they have to check them to your final destination), they will through check them on 2 seperate PNR's (or at least the agent who gate-checked my bag didn't get this memo). Flight was PIT-LGA (on US) and LGA-YYZ (on AC).
Old Oct 1, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Just got a bag through checked without problem in PHL (continuing in FRA on a separate LH ticket). The agent herself asked if I'm traveling further, I said yes and gave her my next PNR...
Old Oct 19, 2013, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Forgive me if this is answered in here. I'm flying PHX to FCO through PHL all on US. Once I get to FCO I will be flying on Easy Jet airline to Palermo. Will US check my bag to the final destination or will I have to pick it up and recheck it with the next airline?

Thanks
Old Oct 20, 2013, 3:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Forgive me if this is answered in here. I'm flying PHX to FCO through PHL all on US. Once I get to FCO I will be flying on Easy Jet airline to Palermo. Will US check my bag to the final destination or will I have to pick it up and recheck it with the next airline?

Thanks
No. easyJet is a point-to-point airline. It doesn't interline with anyone. You will have to pick up your bags at FCO and re-check with easyJet.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Forgive me if this is answered in here. I'm flying PHX to FCO through PHL all on US. Once I get to FCO I will be flying on Easy Jet airline to Palermo. Will US check my bag to the final destination or will I have to pick it up and recheck it with the next airline? Thanks
Make sure you read Easy Jet's baggage policy. The cost of your luggage can be more than the ticket! http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/baggage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.