Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
US Airways / Barclays $99.00 Companion Certificates

As indicated in post #1254 & 1255, the last date to book has been EXTENDED
to October 12, use by 31 Dec 2015, on AA.

US Airways Companion Certificate

Purchase a roundtrip ticket of $250 (before any taxes) or more with your US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard and have up to two companions fly with you for $99 each (plus tax on the amount of the equivalent full-fare ticket).

The price of the full-fare ticket is determined by the lowest "bucket" for which two Y seats are available if you have one companion and for which three Y seats are available if you have two companions.

Systemwide blackout dates (2015):
Jan 3, 4, Feb 13, Mar 15, 20, 22, 26, 27, 29, Apr 2, 3, 6, 12, May 21, 22, Jun 25, 26, Jul 5, 6, Oct 18, Nov 20, 29, 30, Dec 18, 19, 26, 27

Additional Blackout Dates for specific cities (2015):
- Jan 15 from Dallas
- Jan 29, 30 to Phoenix
- Feb 2, 3 from Phoenix
- Feb 13 to New Orleans
- Feb 18 from New Orleans
- Apr 7 from Indianapolis
- Apr 30, May 1 to Louisville
- May 3 from Louisville

Routing:
Certificate valid for use when travel originates in the contiguous 48 United States for service to the contiguous 48 states or Canada.
Not valid for travel to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Caribbean, Mexico, Central/South America, or Europe. Not valid on stopovers, open jaws, open returns, or circle trips.

Valid Carrier
Valid on flights operated by US Airways and US Airways Express. Not valid on codeshare flights operated by partner airlines such as United.
Valid for travel on American flights with a departure date after October 18, 2015.

Dividend Miles Accrual and Upgrades
Travel is eligible for Dividend Miles accrual, accrual in other airline programs not permitted. Dividend Miles Preferred upgrades are permitted subject to the rules of the upgrade being used. All Dividend Miles Terms and Conditions apply.

Additional guidelines for booking
1) You must call US Airways reservations; you cannot book this type of ticket on line.
2) The certificate must be used by YOU, you cannot have someone else and two companions use it.
3) You must book you and any companions at the same time as you on the same routing and PNR as you. One companion cannot break off and go a different direction for one segment.
4) You must use your US Airways Mastercard to make the purchase.
5) You must mail in the certificate after you make the purchase. The address is printed on the certificate (US Airways office in Winston-Salem, NC). (They insist that you retain proof of mailing within 24 hours of booking)
6) There should NOT be a telephone booking fee for this as you can't book this type of fare any other way.
7) It should be possible to split the PNR after booking (this may be beneficial for those hoping for an upgrade as a preferred member, or if the card holder can no longer travel on the days originally booked) YMMV.
8) Any changes to the tickets after booking are subject to the current change fees listed on the US Airways website.
9) Ticket must be booked at least 14 days in advance of travel. (Agents may try to tell you that it needs 15 days because the day of travel is not counted. Even supervisor will insist on it. Do not buy that. Hang up and redial. You need usual 14 days advance booking)
10) You can cancel within 24 hours of booking and you will retain the certificate if you have not mailed it. But they will not make any changes to reservations even within 24 hours due to the third sentance under the Change/Refunds section in the T&C.

Contact Phone Number for post October 18 travel: The American Airlines Meeting and Group Travel Desk is handling the post-October 18, 2015 US Companion Certificates travel reservations- 1-800-433-1790

Related thread:
Benefits of US Airways MasterCard®
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 110pgl
Just under the gun...

Booked my one cert that required booking by July 31 last night. At first, the agent said it was expired/replaced. But I (politely) stated it had not. Escalated to a supervisor and they ticketed it right away.

Interesting part... if you want to book Oct 18 or beyond, they transfer you to a different department where, according to the agent, you can book any AA flight. So in effect, for those of still having certs to use, the universe expanded greatly (after Oct 18).

I have two more that expire Dec 31.
Care to expand on this, what does "book on any AA flight" mean?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Care to expand on this, what does "book on any AA flight" mean?
There are no more US flights in the system after October 17...that's the date all US Airways flights go away and everything will be American. So, if you're traveling after that date, the flights booked will be AA flights...thus opening the entire American Airlines route system to you...as opposed to just the US route network prior for flights prior to Oct17. Same rules apply (no Europe/Hawaii, etc), but now more domestic US cities are eligible since you can book AA flights.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Mykle
There are no more US flights in the system after October 17...that's the date all US Airways flights go away and everything will be American. So, if you're traveling after that date, the flights booked will be AA flights...thus opening the entire American Airlines route system to you...as opposed to just the US route network prior for flights prior to Oct17. Same rules apply (no Europe/Hawaii, etc), but now more domestic US cities are eligible since you can book AA flights.
Thanks.

Mykle explained it perfect.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: US Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by 110pgl
Interesting part... if you want to book Oct 18 or beyond, they transfer you to a different department where, according to the agent, you can book any AA flight. So in effect, for those of still having certs to use, the universe expanded greatly (after Oct 18).
I had an interesting, roundabout experience trying to book AA flights/metal for travel before October 18th. Around the third week in July, I made a telephone reservation using the companion certificates for outbound travel on Oct. 15, returning October 19. The agent reserved me on AA flights/metal outbound and US flights/metal return. She ran my credit card and I received an itemized email receipt showing the correct fares (companions at $99 plus tax and fees).

I've used the CC companion pass every year for at least five years now, and rather than mailing the voucher I've always been given the option to take the voucher to the US ticket counter and turn it in, which I am more comfortable with and have always done. And it has always worked out perfectly. This time, however, the agent at the counter had no idea what to do with the voucher and had to call the help desk. After five minutes she hangs up and tells me my pre-10/17 routing is invalid for the cert and I'll need to call ticketing again and change the AA flights to US flights.

Frustrated, I call the hotline and am told the same thing. I let them know that when I booked through an agent just a few days earlier, there was no problem with the AA flights and I had a receipt to prove it. I get put on hold for five minutes, she comes back on the line and said she re-read the bulletin - it does say that pre-10/17 flights must be US - UNLESS specifically requested by the customer. It was in a footnote at the bottom, she said. Agents are not allowed to suggest AA itineraries, but if customers request specific AA flights they can be booked.

So I'm not sure if that is truly the case, or if she was just inventing a reason since it was their mistake. Hope that can help someone.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:39 pm

Last week, I tried to book a specific AA operated flight on a return leg for pre-10/17 and was denied. I was nice and tried to nudge it slightly but no dice. I actually preferred the US Airways flights I eventually got, but just wanted to try it.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

The bolded part is all you needed to write, since the person I questioned basically stated open on all AA flights.... Which would be a great thing if it was true.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: AA PLAT, UA GOLD
What happens if your companion cancels (pays change fee, won't be flying at all)?

I booked a flight with my companion about a month ago, he has since cancelled his seat (I'm still flying) and the AA agent told him that my reservation should be unaffected. I just wanted to verify with whoever might see this that I am still going to be fine, as in I still have my seat. I don't necessarily trust an AA agent to know enough about the US cert.

Thanks
Old Aug 8, 2015, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
The bolded part is all you needed to write, since the person I questioned basically stated open on all AA flights.... Which would be a great thing if it was true.
My fault. I assumed everyone in this thread knew the overall restrictions, regardless of US or AA.

No biggy.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by ahiromu
What happens if your companion cancels (pays change fee, won't be flying at all)?

I booked a flight with my companion about a month ago, he has since cancelled his seat (I'm still flying) and the AA agent told him that my reservation should be unaffected. I just wanted to verify with whoever might see this that I am still going to be fine, as in I still have my seat. I don't necessarily trust an AA agent to know enough about the US cert.

Thanks
I had that happen...and as long as the cardholder on the paid ticket is traveling, there's no problem at all.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
I posted this in the combined area, but this looks like the better thread. Sorry for the duplication.

I got the Barclay US card back in February or March. Literature that came with it said I'd get a US companion certificate plus a complimentary US and/or Admirals club day pass. My Aviator red card has now arrived, but I never got the certificate or the day pass. Did they just forget? Are those two perks not a part of the Aviator red card?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dwcatty
I posted this in the combined area, but this looks like the better thread. Sorry for the duplication.

I got the Barclay US card back in February or March. Literature that came with it said I'd get a US companion certificate plus a complimentary US and/or Admirals club day pass. My Aviator red card has now arrived, but I never got the certificate or the day pass. Did they just forget? Are those two perks not a part of the Aviator red card?
The pass is connected to your US card, I would call Barclay's up and see what they say, now, I noticed my Silver Card # was the same as my US card..
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:47 pm

I just redeemed my certificates and when I go in and view my reservation, the fare amount total doesn't reflect the full fare + companion fare. It reflects two full fares instead. Is that correct? Does it matter? Or will the correct amount show after I mail in the cert?

My ticket is for Nov so I was also transferred to a different department.

Thanks!

Last edited by cruisingmickey; Aug 11, 2015 at 9:57 pm
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by ang2383
Any recent data points on how long it takes to get ticketed? I just redeemed my certificates and the CS rep said it takes about 1.5 hours. Not sure if that's typical or not?

My ticket is for Nov so I was also transferred to a different department.

Thanks!
More often less than that..My recent transaction took about 50 minutes to ticket...and that seemed longer than normal. Usually it's within about 30 minutes.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:59 pm

More often less than that..My recent transaction took about 50 minutes to ticket...and that seemed longer than normal. Usually it's within about 30 minutes.
Thanks Mykle! I just edited my question since I just received the email and saw it has now been ticketed. I do have another question though. Would you happen to know the answer? Thanks again.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I think it's just a glitch.

I paid roughly $750 for three tickets ($480 + 2 * ($144)), but the fare total on the US reservation I ultimately got said $1500 or so. I just ignored it: my itinerary was fully ticked and paid for, so why care?

Of course, life being what it is with US these days, I had to redo the reservation three times before actually flying it earlier this month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.