Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the value of dividend miles?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2010, 7:54 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Can you rewrite this to clarify your point? I think you're factoring in the loss of earned miles when using an award ticket -- but I'm not certain. If so, you need to factor in the value of forgone EQM's, too (not just the value of forgone miles). But I'm not sure how to value EQM's vs. regular miles.

To further complicate things, keep in mind that many of us would NEVER actually pay for a C or F ticket overseas. Take my itinerary to HKG in F, which would cost $22,500. I would never actually pay for that itinerary, so the most miles that I would truly forego by flying on an award ticket to HKG is the mileage I'd earn in Y. The F bonus cannot be factored in since I would never buy that itinerary in F.
I was looking at cost of foregone miles.
You are right, I was looking only at RDMs and not EQMs.
If you value EQMs as 1 RDM then the equation becomes even more in favor of using cash instead of free Y tickets.

I used twice the cost of economy for Biz (as I would pay that much for sure, and based on discount biz costs from my previous travels). Also remember that when you book awards 11 months out, there is NO discount business and the costs are high in comparison.

But there are other benefits to miles. I had a free day on Friday and was able to go one day early for no change fees, LH F here I come - FCL look out!

Last edited by ffI; May 22, 2010 at 6:48 am
Old May 22, 2010, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by KMC1982
Hey guys. I am a somewhat frequent flier (30-40 segments/year), but have never booked a flight using miles. I have some upcoming personal trips where I could use miles, but all of the flights are under $300, while the low cost miles options are sold out, meaning it'd be 40k miles to book. Seems better just to pay the money and save the miles for a tip overseas, no?
It's really hard to justify using 40k miles to book a $300 ticket. Particularly if you're flying 30-40 segments a year. You are not only using your miles for less than a penny per mile, when they could purchase a lot more, you're also losing the opportunity to earn miles and preferred qualifying miles and segments with those relatively inexpensive trips. If you're using miles to fly during mileage promotions -- like the current double EQM promo -- you're losing out even further. At 30-40 segments a year, you'd benefit from gold status and you're really close, so I'd factor the lost cost of miles/segments that can be used toward status in there too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.