Wiki Posts
Search

Making Connections in CLT

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO 1 Ply
Making Connections in CLT

(Ut oh... another connecting time question )

I'm planning a trip CLE - MBJ in July. Had a choice of connecting in either PHL or CLT. From what I've found searching around, CLT is a much nicer and easier connecting experience than PHL. From some other looking around on Flightstats, 2607 CLE-CLT seems to be arriving (time is supposed to be 8:35a) in CLT somewhere Concourse C, and 985 CLT to MBJ has been departing (scheduled 9:25a) from Concourse D. Assuming things run on time would 50 min. be enough time for connecting from C to D? Bags would be checked all the way if possible; would reclearing security be needed?

Many humble thanks
Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver, AmEx MR
In CLT, it's not too far form C to D - maybe 15 minutes end-to-end walking at a decent pace.

So barring weather, mechanical, or crew problems, 50 minutes will be plenty of time to get to the plane, and your bags will get transferred on time.

Even if you had 2-3 HOURS layover in PHL and only 30 minutes in Charlotte, I'd still choose CLT over PHL.

I honestly wish there was a way to filter connecting cities on USAirways.com, because I don't ever consider a flight through PHL under any circumstances - unless it's my one and only option (after UA/UX). It's that bad.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:58 pm

Programs: Free Agent
50 minutes is plenty of time for any connection at CLT.

However, if you connect back through CLT on the return you may need a little more time to clear immigration and customs. You will have to reclaim and recheck your bag on the return. An hour is still usually plenty of time for this in CLT.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by unkfrank
...From what I've found searching around, CLT is a much nicer and easier connecting experience than PHL...
I'm somewhat biased, but I humbly agree with you

No, you don't have to re-clear secruity from C to D terminals. 10 to 15 min from C to D sounds about right.

I think CLT does a much better job than PHL re baggage transfer, but US appears short-staffed in CLT presently too.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

PBIGuy: The scheduled return does connect back thru CLT, and according to the timetable, we've got about 90 minutes til the connecting flight departs. So I'm guessing that should be fine as well.

Thank you for your replies! ^

Frank

Originally Posted by PBIGuy

However, if you connect back through CLT on the return you may need a little more time to clear immigration and customs. You will have to reclaim and recheck your bag on the return. An hour is still usually plenty of time for this in CLT.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 4:44 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PitHokie
In CLT, it's not too far form C to D - maybe 15 minutes end-to-end walking at a decent pace.

So barring weather, mechanical, or crew problems, 50 minutes will be plenty of time to get to the plane, and your bags will get transferred on time.

Even if you had 2-3 HOURS layover in PHL and only 30 minutes in Charlotte, I'd still choose CLT over PHL.

I honestly wish there was a way to filter connecting cities on USAirways.com, because I don't ever consider a flight through PHL under any circumstances - unless it's my one and only option (after UA/UX). It's that bad.
I will note that my plane choices win over the hub. If it is a 757 out of CLT and a 321 out of PHL I am going to risk the PHL black hole to get on a better plane...A lot of FL routes are like this for some reason.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
I flew to MBJ in March and I flew down through PHL on a 757 and my luggage did not make it until 34 hours later. I flew back through CLT on an A321 and no problem with luggage or customs. I recommend CLT hands down.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by PitHokie
I'd have to agree with that statement. Sad, but true.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Do they swap planes for different times of the year? My July CLT - MBJ flight is supposed to be on an A320. Or is it just that they usually fly the 757 from PHL and not CLT? Since I don't travel often, aircraft types don't really influence me, but the total experience (including ease of airport transit) takes up a larger part of the trip.

BTW... I've never been on any Airbus aircraft. How good/bad is the A320?
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:44 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
As others have said going down I do not feel there will be any problems with your connection. On the return (not sure if Jul skd same as now) if you are comming into CLT on flt 910 it is not unusual to miss most of the bags off that flt. Seems it's not on time much & by the time we get the bags it's to late. 834 has a better record however we still miss bags. However with all that said I can still say we do a great job connecting the bags. Of course on a day like today flts being late departing helped.
No question take CLT over PHL.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 6:54 am

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by unkfrank
Do they swap planes for different times of the year? My July CLT - MBJ flight is supposed to be on an A320. Or is it just that they usually fly the 757 from PHL and not CLT? Since I don't travel often, aircraft types don't really influence me, but the total experience (including ease of airport transit) takes up a larger part of the trip.

BTW... I've never been on any Airbus aircraft. How good/bad is the A320?
I prefer the US Airbus planes over the US competing Boeing craft.

The 319's/320 are newer than the 737's have the pop down screens, feel nicer and more "bright", the seats have better headrests and are a little more supportive and these have better paint on the outside as well and the cool heritage paint (319) and the ole star alliance plane.

The 321 trumps the old 757. We all no why the 757 is poo and I need not elaborate. The same goes for the 330 and the 767.

They are just newer and are better, more comfort and more stuff to make the flight better.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 9:16 am

you're better off in CLT in regards to checked baggage making it on to your next flight. PHL is the worst... I've only flown through twice and both times my bags did NOT make it on the flight.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA, QF DJ
Originally Posted by PBIGuy
I have a one hour connection in CLT on a flight in early June from EWR to LGW. According to the US Airways website, the EWR-CLT flights is only ontime 10-20% of the time. Do you know if US obliged to accommodate us in a hotel if we miss this connection?
Old Apr 13, 2007, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by JohnH61
I have a one hour connection in CLT on a flight in early June from EWR to LGW. According to the US Airways website, the EWR-CLT flights is only ontime 10-20% of the time. Do you know if US obliged to accommodate us in a hotel if we miss this connection?
I'm sorry I don't have a definitive answer to your question, but I will say that I have no idea why all airlines that fly out of EWR don't pad their flights out of there with an extra 45-60 minutes. I've never been on a departure out of EWR where I wasn't at least #30 in line for takeoff. Hopefully, I'm in the minority in that regard.

To your original question, I suspect (though I'm by no means certain) that US is probably not obliged to provide any free or reduced rate accommodations unless the reason for the delay is mechanical. Volume delays out of EWR probably won't, in my estimation, garner a free night's lodging. Perhaps they would make an exception in the case of a CP or someone flying paid F, but I'm not sure about that. Someone who's more familiar than I with the CoC for US will have more useful info to add, I'm sure.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 12:07 am

US and Air Jamaica both fly from PHL to MBJ through the International Terminal (A-West). From the standpoint of navigation and ease of transfer, CLT is easier simply because it's a smaller, less congested airport. That said CLT is not by any stretch immune to lost luggage problems or delays. In fact CLT's on time (dept and arr)record is less than 1% better than PHL and their lost luggage situation isn't much different either - you just hear about it less often. Lost/delayed luggage is a US AIRWAYS problem, not any specific airport's problem or responsibility to fix. No other PHL airline (and there are many) complains about luggage problems. Bottom line, pick the airport which best serves your personal travel needs and listen cautiously to the doom and gloomers. For international travel, I'd personally always choose PHL over CLT simply because PHL is an "international" airport and has that feel to it, particularly if you fly out of Terminal A - which in this case, you would be. CLT has that slow, down home feel to it, but is primarily, except for Caribbean services, a domestic airport. From the standpoint of inter-airport transfers (Domestic - International), no question, CLT is simpler to navigate than PHL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.