Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Philadelphia Envoy Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by lksf
Going from Zurich to PHL in Envoy, which club should I go?
Is PHL your final destination? If so, there's no reason to get in to any arrivals club or lounge as none of them have showers.

If you arrive in PHL from an Envoy Class flight and connect on from there to another destination, there are US Airways Clubs which you can use. The large Club between the B & C terminals is pretty decent.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:48 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I love the PHL Envoy lounge.

There's a bartender named Careena in there that I always seem to run into. She only works Tuesday nights in the J Lounge (she does A/B lounge every other day), but she's awesome. The appetizers are decent, the drinks flow readily, and there's no better place to wait for your flight. I remember the first time I went in there -- it's completely out of character for US Airways :-p
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:18 am

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
I am booked on US 800 - PHL - CLT - GIG. Can I use the Envoy lounge in PHL? Or will I only be able to use the lounge in CLT? I am *Gold. Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:43 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Technically, the USAirways site says the Envoy lounge is for departing TransAtlantic passengers, as well as those going to Mexico City, Costa Rica and Guadalajara. As GIG is a relatively new destination (also served from CLT like those other 3), that might be an oversight.

If you're departing from A-West to get to CLT, and it's after 130pm, then it won't hurt to stop in. But if your CLT flight is leaving from B/C, you might as well just use the club there.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: Amtrak S+, Kimpton IC
Searched the threads but couldn't find a definitive answer. I'm flying CLT-PHL-MAD, booked in coach right now, but have a US Air Club membership. Will this allow me and my wife (same PNR) to access the Envoy Lounge?

Thanks
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:32 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
According to the USAirways web site:

For Enovy and Star Gold passengers with transatlantic travel; or travel to Guadalajara, Mexico City or San Jose (Costa Rica) only.

Translation: If you are in coach *AND* hold are Star Alliance Gold, then yes you can use it.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: Amtrak S+, Kimpton IC
Originally Posted by PHL
According to the USAirways web site:

For Enovy and Star Gold passengers with transatlantic travel; or travel to Guadalajara, Mexico City or San Jose (Costa Rica) only.

Translation: If you are in coach *AND* hold are Star Alliance Gold, then yes you can use it.
Thanks, Only US Silver; not sure how the Club membership would factor into it... any thoughts?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by tolkiennut
Thanks, Only US Silver; not sure how the Club membership would factor into it... any thoughts?
As some others have posted, the right-half of the lounge used to be a dedicated Club a few years ago. If that was still the case, you'd be able to use that Club. But, it has since been converted to one large Envoy lounge, so it looks like you're out of luck.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Searched the threads but couldn't find a definitive answer. I'm flying CLT-PHL-MAD, booked in coach right now, but have a US Air Club membership. Will this allow me and my wife (same PNR) to access the Envoy Lounge?

Thanks
In Jan 09, we were admitted outbound (PHL-FCO) w/ *A gold status. During Dragon Lady "screening", other folks were trying to get in w/ US Air Club membership and were being turned away and directed to the US Air Club. They complained that that was why they joined the US Airways club - the Dragon offered to supply the 800 # so they could try to cancel their US Airways club membership, if they wished. Probably still the same, maybe I misunderstood what was going on... Hope you can visit it.

Probably for an intl outbound:
*A Gold - you're in
US Air club - you're not admitted

As noted by other posters, it's a wonderful lounge, worth some effort to visit if you have time.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:22 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by bucketlist
During Dragon Lady "screening", other folks were trying to get in w/ US Air Club membership and were being turned away and directed to the US Air Club. ---snip--- the Dragon offered to supply the 800 # so they could try to cancel their US Airways club membership.
I have no idea why you are referring to them as Dragons. In this case they are doing their job. The Envoy lounge has very clear admission requirements posted on the website...

*For Envoy and Star Gold passengers with transatlantic travel; or travel to Guadalajara, Mexico City, or San Jose (Costa Rica) only.

ETA: Even with that, they could probably make it clearer. I could see a *Gold flying BA or AF out of Philly trying to get on based on that definition.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:32 pm

Programs: US CP, CO PE, Avis First, National EE
When is your MAD flight? I fly to MAD this saturday on US40. Am I understanding correctly that I can guest one other person in on Transatlantic travel? If so I can guest someone in if they happen to be flying TA this Saturday.

Thanks
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by bitburgr
I have no idea why you are referring to them as Dragons. In this case they are doing their job. The Envoy lounge has very clear admission requirements posted on the website...

*For Envoy and Star Gold passengers with transatlantic travel; or travel to Guadalajara, Mexico City, or San Jose (Costa Rica) only.
+1 ^
Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bitburgr

ETA: Even with that, they could probably make it clearer. I could see a *Gold flying BA or AF out of Philly trying to get on based on that definition.
The term "Dragon Ladies" perhaps originated, and is widely used, in the UA forum. There's even discussion on proper German translation. Probably has something to do w/ dragons guarding the treasure in the cave.

When stranded for a long, and unintended, layover, in IAD, I was in the RCC and an agent came up to me and asked if I wanted to bring my party, mostly family, in. Replied that w/ one 1K and 1 prem exec., we were "not entitled to 6 guests and the Dragon Ladies would probably object." The agent smiled and said "I am the Dragon Lady and please feel free to bring them all in". At least on the UA forum and in the RCC's, it's not considered offensive.

As to how "clear" the policy is.

The Star Alliance WWW site is cc'd below:

"Star Alliance Gold Customers Travelling in Any Class: Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned lounges with the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance.

* Customer must present a valid frequent flyer programme Star Alliance Gold level card
* Customer must also present a boarding card for a same day Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport
* Customer is entitled to one guest
* Continental, United, and US Airways Star Alliance Gold customers may only access the Presidents Club, Red Carpet Club and US Airways Clubs within the U.S. when travelling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight."

Now for the tricky part. Of course it's international to go from PHL to FCO. The flight from FCO-PHL is also an international flight. The PHL-MSY next leg is a "same day Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport" All conditions for access have been met, at least as posted on the Star Alliance WWW site.

As interpreted at PHL, *A access rules were rewritten to say:
travelling in conjunction with a departing Star Alliance international flight

RCC's provide lounge access, outbound and return, at every connection along the way of a trip which includes an international flight. At PHL, access is granted outbound.

Neither the PHL Envoy lounge, nor RCC's, are arrival lounges, at least not for *G's. You have access as a *G when there has been, or will be, an international flight AND you're continuing from that airport on another *A flight.

US claims that the PHL Envoy lounge is a Star Alliance lounge, but doesn't follow the clear (to me) language re. access.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by bucketlist
The Star Alliance WWW site is cc'd below:
That is all blah blah blah as the Star Alliance rules also state that individual carriers rules apply and they may have unique restrictions for some lounges regardless of Star Gold designation.

SQ, for example, has many restrictions to the "standard" Star Alliance Gold regulations. So does UA.

US has been very clear for years on who can and can not access the PHL Envoy Departure Lounge.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What time does the food roll out in the lounge? Is it only after a certain hour? Are US Envoy pax permitted entry to the LH lounge if they are also Star Gold?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.