Wiki Posts
Search

Alleged "Service Dog" Bit Gate Agent

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Alleged "Service Dog" Bit Gate Agent

My flight took a late the other day because some idiot got on the plane with a dog not in a carrier, claiming it was a service dog. The dog's behavior obviously proved it wasn't, right up to biting the agent who was trying to get a wheelchair customer into their seat.

The Captain threw the dog, it's owner, and the rest of the party off the plane. I can't believe how stupid some people are. What really ticks me off is that jerks like this make it more difficult with those who have a legitimate service dog.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Not all animals legally allowed on the flight require training. There also emotional support animals (some legit some not) both can be denied boarding if animal is aggressive
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Annerk
My flight took a late the other day because some idiot got on the plane with a dog not in a carrier, claiming it was a service dog. The dog's behavior obviously proved it wasn't, right up to biting the agent who was trying to get a wheelchair customer into their seat.

The Captain threw the dog, it's owner, and the rest of the party off the plane. I can't believe how stupid some people are. What really ticks me off is that jerks like this make it more difficult with those who have a legitimate service dog.
Everybody has to eat!!
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
It couldn't have been worse then the dog some guy brought onto the plane and it was in heat. Kept trying to, ahem.....mate, with another passengers leg.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by CDKing
Not all animals legally allowed on the flight require training. There also emotional support animals (some legit some not) both can be denied boarding if animal is aggressive
I'll bet anything that MOST "emotional support" animals that fly these days are not legit at all.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by tommyleo
I'll bet anything that MOST "emotional support" animals that fly these days are not legit at all.
I really wish the ACAA would be revised to make some requirement that ESA be legit. There really needs to be some sort of licensing for ESA.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Under the ADA, staff can ask two questions about the "service animal" (defined as "...a dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for a person with a disability":

(1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and
(2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform (i.e., it can't just sit there and "be" an emotional support animal... it has to do something).

But then:
"This definition (of "service animal") does not affect or limit the broader definition of ... “service animal” under the Air Carrier Access Act.

See, e.g., http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Wish the ACAA was more specific regarding service animals and the identification of such. I also personally think other passengers, as private individuals, should call out fake service animals themselves. Nothing in the ADA or ACAA prevents that from happening.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by LAXative
I also personally think other passengers, as private individuals, should call out fake service animals themselves. Nothing in the ADA or ACAA prevents that from happening.
And then what?

Me: "Ma'am, your animal clearly is a pet, and not an ESA"
Passenger: "Oh yeah? Screw off"

Now what?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by bkafrick
And then what?

Me: "Ma'am, your animal clearly is a pet, and not an ESA"
Passenger: "Oh yeah? Screw off"

Now what?
Then ES pax orders a double Titos and downs it.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I'm planning a trip to MSY to pick up my emotional support 'gator next week.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I'm planning a trip to MSY to pick up my emotional support 'gator next week.
Hmmm, I could use a carton of some emotional support crawfish.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Should the topic be be "Alleged service dog allegedly bites Gate Agent?"
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:29 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Next time I have some California twit and her "service" poodle next to me on a flight, I'm going to ask if she brings that "service" dog with her to work.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: US Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Work?

Originally Posted by LGA
Next time I have some California twit and her "service" poodle next to me on a flight, I'm going to ask if she brings that "service" dog with her to work.
Work? You gotta be kidding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.