Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Armrests

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:04 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by itsme110
I agree with DCAorBUST. It sounds like you have a major production happening, so I would get to the airport in real good time. When you check in, I would first talk to an agent about the aircraft. In my opinion, that will be the least of your problems. While I was checking in, I would ask for assistance to get your son through security. I was in a wheel chair after surgery several months ago, and although I could move, I was on crutches. TSA wouldn´t allow the wheelchair to go through the screener and they wouldn´t let me take my crutches through. So I had to hop through. Your son obvously cannot do that, but the TSA folks can be awfully demanding about the ´rules´, and I´ve noticed that they make many of them up as they go. Perhaps one of our airline employess could comment on the security issue, because I see TSA a lot more difficult to deal with than US airways.
TSA is going to be the biggest issue. Please Please Please come to the airport early. I mean 2hrs or more. The TSA is going to have to pat him down (with one of the family with him at all times). They will inspect the entire wheel chair and they may ask that he be put into another chair while the inspection is done. TSA has never handled special needs very well and if you have any problems ask for a TSA supervisor.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 9:38 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
The armrests are hit or miss.

I prefer them up. Most of the time, I am in a seat where they raise. Not sure about the DASH, I dont think they raise. Bulkhead and Ex Row are typically fixed. On the RJ, they usually also have solid side.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, AA PLT.
What about row 9 on an A319, and 10/11 on an A320? Do the armrests move at all?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by efc3011
I am travelling with a large family group to Disneyworld on Monday. I reserved a seat for my paralyzed son back in October telling the agent that he can't stand to enter his seat and needs to transfer from the dreaded aisle chair to a seat that has a movable aisle armrest . We were given bulkhead seats. Yesterday I called to confirm and was told by the agent that the bulkhead armrests are fixed because they have trays in them. I sent an urgent email to US Airways and got a phone call back today insisting that the aisle armrest in the bulkhead seat is movable and that only the other armrests are not. The plane is booked solid. My son can't be lifted because lifting can wrench his back, as happened on a plane once before. We can't risk ruining his vacation. Does anyone have personal knowledge about the bulkhead aisle armrest? If it does move, where is the releaase button? Sometimes the flight attendants don't know.
Don't panic.

I am also a wheelchair user. When I get to the airport, I ask the gate agent to double check that the seat I have been assigned has a movable aisle armrest. Obviously (as you already know) the bulkhead row does not. In every case, if I am not assigned to a row with a movable armrest, he or she moves me to one that does. These rows, for some mysterious aircraft manufacturing reason, are almost always on the right side of the aircraft.

In most Boeing and Airbus aircraft, the secret button is at the very rear of the armrest, underneath. Sometimes it's a button, sometimes it's a little slide latch. If one FA doesn't know how to operate it, another one may. The aisle chair guys usually know as well.

Are you bringing a transfer board with you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.