Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airlines Promotion - Two tickets received in the mail?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:03 pm

Update

They're still at it, but the envelopes are no longer "hand addressed". They are zip tab letters that look like a government mailing.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:26 am

Cool Scam

I got my US Air Promotions letter in the mail today. Postmarked Arizona. Whoever this is, they aren't very smart. No return address is a red flag right there. The letter looks like something I could have thrown together. From vice president Ali Kale. Vice President of what company? Usually below a professional signature like that you will find a company name and address or just company info. No company logo whatsoever on this letter. Mine's for two airline tickets $1,298.00. Also they put on there that they've "attempted to contact me several times". Well that's BS. Some people have too much time on their hands. I don't like that this person even has my address. Does anyone know where you can report this stuff?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by scatscatkitty
...Does anyone know where you can report this stuff?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, scatscatkitty ^

US webpage notes that ...
Customers have also reported receiving fraudulent letters and postcards claiming to be from a company called US Airlines and offering free airline tickets. Do not call the number or give anyone your personal information. Be sure to report it to the Better Business Bureau or your local authorities.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I got my US Air Promotions letter in the mail today. Postmarked Arizona. Whoever this is, they aren't very smart. No return address is a red flag right there. The letter looks like something I could have thrown together. From vice president Ali Kale. Vice President of what company? Usually below a professional signature like that you will find a company name and address or just company info. No company logo whatsoever on this letter. Mine's for two airline tickets $1,298.00. Also they put on there that they've "attempted to contact me several times". Well that's BS. Some people have too much time on their hands. I don't like that this person even has my address. Does anyone know where you can report this stuff?
The scary thing is that there are people this works on. If you send this to 100,000 people and 100 of them fall for it, they probably make money.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Phishing" has been around a lot longer than the interwebs, as these snail-mail frauds demonstrate.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Does anyone know where you can report this stuff?
Reporting it won't accomplish anything.

What did work (at least for me) was to write "Return to Sender" on the top and hand it to my friendly USPS employee at the local post office. These used to come every few months, now after doing this a couple of times I haven't had one in about a year.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by cewinget
Got mine in the mail today and this one has got to be one of the most pathetic yet:

No return address on envelope -- reputable companies are not ashamed

Letterhead is for a nevah-heard-o-ya company "US Airlines" -- oh please!

Offer is ridiculous -- $1400 in travel for no particular reason at all.

Statement that attempts have been made to contact me in the past and that this is the final (gasp! gasp!) attempt -- a bald-faced lie.

Sadly, in an era when individual and corporate integrity seem to be things of the past, the consuming public must endure this sort of rubbish.

Spank you very much to those who did this. May you receive the rewards that you so richly deserve. Proper decorum prohibits me from stating what those rewards might be.
Well, it took them almost four years to finally get to me from when this thread was originally posted, but I got one too! yay! I feel so special! lol!

So, my letter is almost identical.
*No return address on envelope nor on the letterhead.
*The title of "my" airline is "US Air Promotions."
*I feel jipped though! My offer is only valued at $1298! waaahhh!! I guess it's the bad economy.......
*Oh, and my Vice President's name is Ami Syler. They seem to have a lot of VPs in charge of this promotion!

The thing I find the most curious is how old school they've gone with this. No internet. No texts. No emails. If receivers of these mail offers have even half a brain, thus half a clue, they're not going to give these scammers their business and the scammers are gonna go broke on the stamps alone! lol!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 1:26 am

Got one too today.

Since there is scant info from the latter, like no return address, no real info, no nuttin', what they did leave was an 866 number. It would be dandy if the Joe Q. Public had the ability to reverse Spam this number. Meaning flood the hell out of it with Robo calls. Jack up the phone number with such saturation that, well... you get the idea. Someone ought to come up with this ability... for Joe Q. Public to turn the tables and flood the perps of these nonsense phishing scams. I occasionally will call these numbers and just waste their time. A spot on technique is if a call comes in from one of these types of scammers, and if one of my very young nieces is around, I will hand the tele over to a youngster who can hardly speak sentences yet.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
I wonder how they got everyone's info?

Grand Slam Promotion Partner?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:24 pm

Ali has changed her name to Ami Syler. Still a V-P, so she is still working on her promotion. So glad they are doing all they can to support the US Post Office through their stamp purchases.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by phllyflyboy
I wonder how they got everyone's info?

Grand Slam Promotion Partner?
This is the more interesting question.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
My father, whom flies once or twice a year with US, got one in the mail mid-December. He's not a miles junky, and has never participated in the Grand Slam Promotion. I thought, perhaps, from a rental car company when you use your DM account for miles.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I know people who never fly or vacation and get these. They probably just buy it from some third-party that sells mailing addresses.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by thomwithanh
Reporting it won't accomplish anything.

What did work (at least for me) was to write "Return to Sender" on the top and hand it to my friendly USPS employee at the local post office. These used to come every few months, now after doing this a couple of times I haven't had one in about a year.
"Standard rate" mail (the sexier name for used to be called "bulk rate") does not offer return service unless the sender pays for it, and of course these scam artists don't. So if the addressee refuses it, the PO just throws it away.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Venice Parrish
*Oh, and my Vice President's name is Ami Syler. They seem to have a lot of VPs in charge of this promotion!
I wonder if Ami Syler is related to the VP in my letter.. Sue Kyler

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.