Wiki Posts
Search

CTL - LGW Envoy Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2007, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
CTL - LGW Envoy Questions

I am flying from CLT-LGW next month in Envoy and it's been a couple of years since I crossed the pond on US. Can anyone provide an update on food quality / options, IFE, status of A330 reconfigs, CLT and LGW Envoy Club options and the overall experience in Envoy these days?

I bought a ticket in Y and upgraded using miles. It wasn't cheap, but better than what I could get on DL (they have terrible award options most of the time).

I tried to do a search to find this information but was unsuccessful. If this has been discussed, please excuse the error and just send a link to the tread.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 7:27 pm

Flew this route on the A330 last month. Whist some FT'ers will shoot my opinions down for being an employee, I like to think I'm fair but critical about the way Envoy has changed over the years.

It had been a while since I'd flown Envoy. Seats are still extra-comfy, with a superb recline. Individual (large) IFE screens as good as ever. Service not as great as when i joined US, when there were wonderful silver service salad carts, gourmet ice-creams with the movie etc... Those were the days! However, the FA's were wonderful, the meal very good to excellent (poached pear and stilton salad, beef bourguignon, dessert and cheese and biccies. Nice to see the 'help-yourself' snack cart still there, with wines, beers, snacks, chips, fruit and cookies.

I know many folks have bemoaned the new Envoy pre-arrival snack as 'cheap' , but i much prefer a hot pizza slice with dressed salad to the boring chilled salmon salad we used to get. Plus a small box of luxury Irish chocolates before landing.

Call me easy to please, but the whole experience was a lovely way to start a holiday. Reinforced my (positive) opinions about US' transatlantic service on the 330.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
I am flying from CLT-LGW next month in Envoy and it's been a couple of years since I crossed the pond on US. Can anyone provide an update on food quality / options, IFE, status of A330 reconfigs, CLT and LGW Envoy Club options and the overall experience in Envoy these days?

I bought a ticket in Y and upgraded using miles. It wasn't cheap, but better than what I could get on DL (they have terrible award options most of the time).

I tried to do a search to find this information but was unsuccessful. If this has been discussed, please excuse the error and just send a link to the tread.

Thanks in advance.
I'll echo Warbo's sentiments. The A330 from a comfort standpoint is certainly a good int'l business class product. From an IFE standpoint its better than average. From a service/food standpoint - ok - in the bottom half of US carriers but still fine. It's a fine way to travel. You wouldn't be spoiled like a BA or an SQ but youll still be quite happy.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 9:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Diamond, Hilton Silver

Thanks in advance.
I am flying this route in Envoy on April 26th....I actual got a saver envoy award for 80K and am very happy about it. I actually starting to like USAir these days and they honestly have only done me wrong a few times.

The one thing I cannot stand about US Air is PHL....I hate that place the damn baggae crew problems and runway delays. I never seem to get out of PHL any earlier than two hours late......CLT on the other hand is great which should make this flight a little more enjoyable.

Can I ask a silly question. I have never flown international....at least not in the last 10 years and I am wondering how it all works these days. I have looked around the internet, but I am still a little unclear on how I will clear customs and all those things. Would some kind soul be willing to run through the process in Charlotte for me? I would really appreciate it. I will be coming in on a connection from CMH.

Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by dagwood
...I have never flown international....Would some kind soul be willing to run through the process in Charlotte for me?...
I'll try

(1) Outbound, you should be able, checking in at CMH and showing your passport, to get BPs for CMH-CLT and CLT-LGW. Since you're flying Envoy, head straight to the Club in CLT (I prefer the one between C and D as it's larger) and ask for your 2 drink chits (if you don't drink, you can make another flyer happy at the bar ) The Club ladies can help you if you want to change seats, issue a BP if CMH check-in is not able to, etc. The walk to the D terminal is about 5 min, I'd say.

(2) On the return to CLT, you'd be one of the first ones off the plane heading to Immigration. You'd hand over your passport and the the short Customs declaration form you had filled out on the flight. The officer scans your pasport and asks simple questions like, "How long did you stay in the UK? Vacation? Bringing home booze or cigs?". Your passport is stamped (usually) and your Customs form scribbled with a number (1 usually). Then off you go to retrieve your checked luggage and head to Customs towards the Exit. Hand the Customs form to the Customs agent, and s/he looks at it and either waves you on or ask you to step aside for a thorough inspection. Walk through Exit, hand your checked luggage back to US right there for the CLT-CMH flight. You have to clear security again for the domestic leg home.

Happy trip!
Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:42 am

Programs: US CP
Congratulations on scoring an award!

As you can imagine, airport security in the UK has changed in the last 10 years as it has here.

Unfortunately, Gatwick's Fast Track immigration lines are gone.

Beware the carry on luggage restrictions for your return; the carry on bag size is smaller than what you can leave the US with, and you are only allowed ONE bag, no personal item. They are quite strict on the size of the bag and may put it in a sizer frame to make sure it complies, so wheels/handles must be within stated measurements.

From the BAA Gatwick site:
Hand baggage restrictions
Passengers are allowed to carry ONE item of hand baggage, no larger than:

56 centimetres tall (approximately 22 inches)
45 centimetres wide (approximately 17.7 inches)
25 centimetres deep (approximately 10 inches)
They are also more serious than the US about separating liquids in a plastic bag, and there is a second security screening at the gate which may include hand searching your carry-on and powering on any electronics.

Having said all this, I've never had a problem, they're pretty quick and professional. As long as you are in compliance with bags and liquids it's really easy.

Have a look http://www.gatwickairport.com Security Control for more specifics.

As to food and in flight entertainment, you can look at that all in advance from here:
http://www2.usairways.com/awa/conten...r/default.aspx
On demand IFE is still the best, but it occasionally locks up and the FAs have to reboot it.

The poor A330s were recently mutilated - I mean reconfigured - and they took 2 rows of Envoy out and crowbarred in a zillion more seats in coach, shortening up the pitch considerably. I think they have now all been completed, but one still has the last couple of rows in coach that can't be used because they are too tight for the seat tables to be used. Be very glad you are in Envoy, aside from the removal of two rows it has not changed.

I just flew LGW-PHL last week and check-in was very slow between the new reservation system and the luggage conveyor belts were broken (apparently this happens often on heavy traffic days). I was quite early for my check in but stood for ages in the Envoy line as they pulled CHL fliers since they were late for their check in. It was the 1st weekend of UK Spring Break and the whole airport was mobbed. If security lines are REALLY heavy, you may want to look upstairs in the shopping area, there is one security line up there that may be shorter.

The Envoy Club at LGW is one of the best, free food and booze, and the nicest agents I've ever come in contact with.

If I recall correctly there used to be a tram sort of affair that took you out to the gates (or am I thinking of LHR?) but this is all now enclosed walkway with some moving belts that in my experience are usually about 50% working and there is currently a lot of construction/plywooded off bits in some areas so pay attention to odd/even gate numbers to see which side of the plywood you should be on.

Hope this helps, have a great trip!
Old Apr 9, 2007, 10:11 am

Recently I connected in CLT and flew on a 767 to PHL and I notcied a (what appeared to be) closed club.

What that some sort of Envoy lounge back in the day...the sign had been taken down but it looked from the dust that it might have read US Airways.

Dan
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:05 am

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
Originally Posted by dan1431
Recently I connected in CLT and flew on a 767 to PHL and I notcied a (what appeared to be) closed club.

What that some sort of Envoy lounge back in the day...the sign had been taken down but it looked from the dust that it might have read US Airways.

Dan
No - it was an old US Airways Club that used to serve the D Concourse when it had both International, and Express flights. There was talk long ago that they'd convert it over to an Envoy Lounge, but that was dependent on increasing the number of International Envoy flights from the one or two CLT had. As it didn't happen, US chose to just shutter it.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by kudzu
I'll try

Since you're flying Envoy, head straight to the Club in CLT (I prefer the one between C and D as it's larger) and ask for your 2 drink chits
I never knew about this.

But then again I guess I primarily fly through PHL if I'm on US int'l and I'm guessing because the booze is help yourself in the A club it doesn't matter.

Interesting though.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:29 pm

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by sts603
From an IFE standpoint its better than average.
Only if it's working - which it wasn't for at least the first 4 hours of my Envoy flight last Friday. (For spring break last week, I flew a Saver Envoy award SFO-PHL-MAN and returned on a *A award FRA-IAD-SFO on UA.) The crew kept rebooting it, but to no avail, until I went to sleep after dinner. It was finally running when I woke up, but that's small consolation.

As for the rest of the product... it's typical US Airways of the Parker era, which means half-assed. I mean, plasticware in a C-cabin? Who are they trying to kid?

It was my first-ever set of flights in intercontinental business classes, and the contrast was pretty stark. The US FAs, as usual, provided excellent and very personal service, but they just aren't given a competitive set of tools to work with - from the worn-out seats to the below-average catering.

I suppose I should whip up a full trip report later...
Old Apr 9, 2007, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Thanks for the updates everyone. Sounds like not much has changed in the past two years other than US trying to get more blood from the stone ala fewer seats and the Envoy Sleeper ripoff, er um, I mean upgrade.

Has anyone had experience with Envoy Sleeper? Are people purchasing the upgrades or is US comping elites? Any strategies for free upgrades to the Envoy Sleeper class?

Also...does anyone know the rules on purchased liquor in Duty Free on the return when you have a domestic connection in CLT? Do you have to check the liquor when you clear customs for the domestic flight?

Thanks everyone!
Old Apr 9, 2007, 10:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Diamond, Hilton Silver
Thank you all for the advice.....I am looking forward to just having more legroom for this flight so anything good that occurs in F beyond that will be a bonus. I have learned that this is the way you must fly on US and I am never disappointed...
Old Apr 9, 2007, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
...Do you have to check the liquor when you clear customs for the domestic flight?
Yes, you do. Finding enough space for the bottles in checked luggage, and the worry about glass bottles breaking on the domestic connection, keeps me from buying Duty Free liquor these days.

As for Sleeper Envoy, I'm wondering too if US has been successful selling these. Other than what another FT'er had written about getting 2 seats together in Row 1 on a basic GoEnvoy upgrade, I haven't heard any more news.

BTW, SOBE ER DOC, good to see ya posting here again!
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by dagwood
Thank you all for the advice.....I am looking forward to just having more legroom for this flight so anything good that occurs in F beyond that will be a bonus. I have learned that this is the way you must fly on US and I am never disappointed...
Well, it isnt F. But it certainly has more legroom than coach and a nicer seat than coach.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA-Silver, HHonors-Gold
I recently cashed in 80K for a trip in may, PIT-CLT-LGW, and still had to pay $200 - mostly in UK taxes...but still, thanks for the note about only 1 carry on when leaving london - good to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.