Wiki Posts
Search

Blown engine from LAS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2007, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold; SW A list; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Blown engine from LAS

Just fyi:this was on the news this am, March 19, in Las Vegas. Just what US needed today, I'm sure.....

Plane Leaving McCarran Blows Engine
http://www.ktnv.com/Global/story.asp?s=6246257
Old Mar 19, 2007, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
" terror in the sky " - looks like someone just got out of Creative Writing 101.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Surely, a graduate of any writing course would know that "None of the 150 passengers onboard was (not were) hurt."
Old Mar 19, 2007, 12:42 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Those darn terrorists. They are at it again. No wait it was just an accident.

Can we use better words here people?

Passengers blown scared as engine blows out
anything with out the base word terror and airplane would be good.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by CPRich
" terror in the sky " - looks like someone just got out of Creative Writing 101.
Terror in the sky...I thought that was when you lost both engines at rotation! You gotta love the press and how it treats events in Aviation. I'm wondering if a fuel-dump occurred and how they'll handle that when they find out.

Not to mention the timestamp is 10:44am. My schedule shows the first non-stop to MSP doesn't depart until 11:26am.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 1:05 pm

Programs: WN/HPUS/B6/DL
Originally Posted by fishintheobx
Terror in the sky...I thought that was when you lost both engines at rotation! You gotta love the press and how it treats events in Aviation. I'm wondering if a fuel-dump occurred and how they'll handle that when they find out.

Not to mention the timestamp is 10:44am. My schedule shows the first non-stop to MSP doesn't depart until 11:26am.
Apparently it was the red eye. There is a more professionally written article here.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by lvfs
Apparently it was the red eye. There is a more professionally written article here.
Yes...that article with all of it's facts would be somewhat dull for the TV hounds!
Old Mar 19, 2007, 1:18 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by CPRich
I hate the press. But I have no idea how they would be able to pass up this tasty story. It has two of the press's favorite things to hype: the word terror (they'll throw that out there when a ferret escapes from its cage at the local petstore) and weird stuff happening on airlines.

I hope this story dies quickly. Glad that everyone is safe, but really, situations like this is why pilots are so highly trained and highly paid, and there's no reason to turn this into a media circus.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 2:04 pm

Wow, the plane was 100% full. Can you believe that?
Old Mar 19, 2007, 2:25 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
Wow, the plane was 100% full. Can you believe that?

Out of LAS that is not too shocking.

Maybe it was everyone packing an A320 to avoid a dreaded 757!
Old Mar 19, 2007, 2:47 pm

Programs: Ex-US GP
Originally Posted by dcpatti
I hate the press. But I have no idea how they would be able to pass up this tasty story. It has two of the press's favorite things to hype: the word terror (they'll throw that out there when a ferret escapes from its cage at the local petstore) and weird stuff happening on airlines.
You forgot to mention our federal government. They love to hype that particular word as well.
Oh, and there's nothing like snakes on a plane to get people worked up. In fact, they made a movie- er... quite a few movies about that one, actually.

Originally Posted by dcpatti
I hope this story dies quickly. Glad that everyone is safe, but really, situations like this is why pilots are so highly trained and highly paid, and there's no reason to turn this into a media circus.
No need, eh?
We wouldn't, but these guys make it sooooooooo easy!

Kendall
Old Mar 19, 2007, 3:12 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by EDnearJQF
Surely, a graduate of any writing course would know that "None of the 150 passengers onboard was (not were) hurt."
Ok, now you got me thinking.

Turns out, the writer's use of "were" was probably correct. Yet your using "was" may be correct, too. How so? See: http://www.grammarmudge.cityslide.co...26513/9903.htm
Old Mar 19, 2007, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by lvfs
There is a more professionally written article here.
Factual, accurate, and informative. Well done.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by fishintheobx
Yes...that article with all of it's facts would be somewhat dull for the TV hounds!
As dull as the KNTV "exclusive video!"
Old Mar 19, 2007, 4:20 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Silver, OnePass Gold, AAdvantage Gold, AS, NW, US, UA, LH
Was there really an "exclusive video" of the aircraft landing safely and uneventfully? Or was there something that made the landing appear a little more newsworthy?

This sounds almost as exciting as "exclusive video" of a person walking into a dental office with a toothache.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.