Wiki Posts
Search

Impending A321 Cabin reconfigurations?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, Hertz Gold -President's Club, *wood, Marriott, Hilton, Kimpton
Impending A321 Cabin reconfigurations?

I was in the process of booking my April and May travel from TPA-DCA that usually involves at least one segment on an A321 and noticed that row 9 was booked. Booking out in advance normally permits me the opportunity to get a rough pattern of seats, so I was very intrigued when 9C was consistently gone!

During the mass bookings, I shifted to a Sunday departure on one leg due to a schedule need and saw that the fare pricing between Y and F was only $60.00, so I decided to actually pay for the F seat. Doing so, I pulled up the seat maps and Rows 5/6/7 are all marked as filled. Then it sank in, the dreaded conversion must be imminent.

So, I put a couple of questions out to the FT learned:

1. When does the A321 conversion begin for the EAST?
2. Is there a legitimate seating plan available (as Seatguru does not have a before/after seat map, nor does the online USAirways seat map reflect gospel)? Or is there a seatmap available that we can at least confer against, obviously protecting our sources and methods while providing plausible deniability?
3. If there is a general plan, is one able to share some insight as to the “prime” seats?

It is not the intent of this post to infer or invite criticism on the removal of these seats **for I am certain another post will open that can of worms**
Old Feb 26, 2007, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Me262s
I was in the process of booking my April and May travel from TPA-DCA that usually involves at least one segment on an A321 and noticed that row 9 was booked. Booking out in advance normally permits me the opportunity to get a rough pattern of seats, so I was very intrigued when 9C was consistently gone!

During the mass bookings, I shifted to a Sunday departure on one leg due to a schedule need and saw that the fare pricing between Y and F was only $60.00, so I decided to actually pay for the F seat. Doing so, I pulled up the seat maps and Rows 5/6/7 are all marked as filled. Then it sank in, the dreaded conversion must be imminent.

So, I put a couple of questions out to the FT learned:

1. When does the A321 conversion begin for the EAST?
2. Is there a legitimate seating plan available (as Seatguru does not have a before/after seat map, nor does the online USAirways seat map reflect gospel)? Or is there a seatmap available that we can at least confer against, obviously protecting our sources and methods while providing plausible deniability?
3. If there is a general plan, is one able to share some insight as to the “prime” seats?

It is not the intent of this post to infer or invite criticism on the removal of these seats **for I am certain another post will open that can of worms**
Good find. I have a question. I am flying on the 321 on CLT-LAX This Thursday 3/1 on the 321 in F. Me and Mom got 5A,5C. Dad is in Y. Anyhow... there are no more together seats towards the front of the plane. Just windows across. Should I move us towards the front and be split with Mom or stay in my own seats because they wont remove them by then?
Old Feb 26, 2007, 3:46 pm

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
Just so you know, the A321 is range challenged as it is currently configured, and is barely able to make transcon range from PHL to the west coast. If they go ahead with this mistake of removing 10 F seats and adding who knows how many Y seats, they will further handicap this airplane on transcons.

FFOCUS is taking a loud and vocal stand against this reconfiguration. I have already alerted Tempe to our position and based on the comments we have received, a further reduction in F capacity, ESPECIALLY on transcons and long range flights, will result in an increased migration of business FF's away from US.

While I have little hope that they will actually listen to us, perhaps it's time to be more vocal about this--they need to be competitive with other carriers, especially on transcons.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 4:21 pm

Programs: US Airways Platinum
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
Good find. I have a question. I am flying on the 321 on CLT-LAX This Thursday 3/1 on the 321 in F. Me and Mom got 5A,5C. Dad is in Y. Anyhow... there are no more together seats towards the front of the plane. Just windows across. Should I move us towards the front and be split with Mom or stay in my own seats because they wont remove them by then?
Dad is in Y! Your parents, come on King, show the love. My last vacation travel with my parents, I got 2 u/g's and had them switch the names at the airport. I sat in the exit row in Y.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 4:24 pm

Programs: US Airways Platinum
Originally Posted by Art234
Just so you know, the A321 is range challenged as it is currently configured, and is barely able to make transcon range from PHL to the west coast. If they go ahead with this mistake of removing 10 F seats and adding who knows how many Y seats, they will further handicap this airplane on transcons.

FFOCUS is taking a loud and vocal stand against this reconfiguration. I have already alerted Tempe to our position and based on the comments we have received, a further reduction in F capacity, ESPECIALLY on transcons and long range flights, will result in an increased migration of business FF's away from US.

While I have little hope that they will actually listen to us, perhaps it's time to be more vocal about this--they need to be competitive with other carriers, especially on transcons.
I hope they start listening. If it's such an issue as making the aircraft fly the route, that should make some people start re-thinking this. Unless, they plan to give 24F back to the 757 and have it to the transcons... that aircraft is a workhorse. I just met a 757 Captain the other day (at a golf course, nonetheless, great guy, being flying with US for a long time. Going to try to play golf with him sometime.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by USEast1
Dad is in Y! Your parents, come on King, show the love. My last vacation travel with my parents, I got 2 u/g's and had them switch the names at the airport. I sat in the exit row in Y.
Well thats what I thought too! Except, Mom said she wants to sit next to me... Then again, that might clear the airport as there are still 7 seats left.

Besides, what would F be without me?
Old Feb 26, 2007, 5:10 pm

Hmm F would be heaven without a Kingy running around JKJK
Old Feb 26, 2007, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, Hertz Gold -President's Club, *wood, Marriott, Hilton, Kimpton
King- You know US as well most, so definitely no changes to current seats in the next few days. Even the random pre-boarding banter, between the FAs and the weekly group of end-of-week frequent flyers, seems to be filled with a degree anxiety and a lack of knowledge. It just appears that no one has enough details out front with the US aircrew-pax interface.

To their defense, the air crews got slammed by both internal and external forces with the A320 reconfig. This time around, it my belief that all parties are hoping there is a better go-forward plan.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 5:32 pm

Programs: US-Chairman, Hyatt_Diamond
Originally Posted by Art234
Just so you know, the A321 is range challenged as it is currently configured, and is barely able to make transcon range from PHL to the west coast.
I agree, but the A321 is being removed from transcon service. It is needed to replace the B757 which is either at the end of their lease or to be used in transatlantic service for the summer. Transcons are going to be handled by either the A320 or the A319 for nonstop service. The plan is to drive down nonstop capacity to obtain premium $$ from those who refuse to stop in either Phoenix or Las Vegas.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ALCARLOS
I agree, but the A321 is being removed from transcon service. It is needed to replace the B757 which is either at the end of their lease or to be used in transatlantic service for the summer. Transcons are going to be handled by either the A320 or the A319 for nonstop service. The plan is to drive down nonstop capacity to obtain premium $$ from those who refuse to stop in either Phoenix or Las Vegas.
US really does think that it can stay afloat on the leisure traveller alone....maybe if they funnel enough mabels, ethyls, and marvs into Las Vegas and get them dirty rich on the slot machines, they could develop a customer base that will actually PAY for FC...
Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
I really don't think you have to worry about US getting the planes reconfigured in the next 4 days...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.