Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Cancelled PHL to PHX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, OnePass, AAdvantage, Marriott Rewards, Hertz Gold
Flight Cancelled PHL to PHX

My flight was cancelled on 1/21 PHL to PHX due to "a leak in the engine". They couldn't get the part and just cancelled the whole flight. By the time I got up to the agent to rebook my flight the only thing she had that day was a flight to PHX over 10 hours later. Screw that I said and booked the same flight on 1/22.

Is there anything I can get out of US Air for cancelling this flight? Can I request FF miles for the cancelled segment? Let me know people experiences. Thanks.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:17 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
I wouldn't expect too much from US. The old HP would have at least thrown some miles your way.

A similiar situation happened to me on AA(DFW-LGW) and they gave me 17k miles. ^
Old Jan 25, 2007, 1:17 pm

You could have requested to be put on a different airline.

Or...as soon as you knew the flight was canceled, you could have called reservations and had them save you a seat on another flight so when you got to the agent, all he would have had to do would have been to print out a boarding pass instead of saying SOL.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by tekelberry
Or...as soon as you knew the flight was canceled, you could have called reservations and had them save you a seat on another flight so when you got to the agent, all he would have had to do would have been to print out a boarding pass instead of saying SOL.
Done this multiple times (worse yet, 3 out of the last four trips), best advice.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 3:27 pm

Definitely get on the phone, don't wait for an agent. If you have elite status, call that number.

Could they have put you on another airline? In that case, they would give you credit for the miles. I did it last month when my MSP-PHL flight was delayed (connecting to PIT). They put me on a NW non-stop and I was able to get the miles (but only the direct mileage).
Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:50 pm

Programs: NW Plat, Marriott Plat, PC Plat, HH Gold, US Gold
And you don't even have to wait for the flight to be canceled to get on the phone. I was in DCA and there was a MX delay, so I called and got protected (my understanding is they make a reservation but do not ticket it - I had to go out to the ticket counter to get it ticketed and pick up a boarding pass) on the next flight. This turned out well for two reasons: 1) the next flight was mainline as opposed to the express I was booked on and I got the upgrade and 2) I checked and I beat my original flight into PVD on the next flight (not bad for ~3 hrs between the scheduled departures).

jon
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
I don't want to play blame he victim here at all. But there are some good lessons learned here. As soon as one hits a MX situation they need to start looking at alternatives by looking at the board on the airport and then making calls. One of the reasons I've stuck with US is when this happens and I call the CP line they always seem to tell me that a res has been made for me on a backup flight. This proactive approach has always impressed me.

Ultimately in terms of getting me from point a to point b in a timely manner US has done well which is why I stick with them. However I think that part of the reason why I've been successful is because I am very proactive in seeking out other alternatives when things go awry.

Still, I think US could throw 5000 DM's the OP's way as they apparantly got off pretty easy in terms of what he cost them for their MX problems.

Sean

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.